U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:14 PM

12,442 posts, read 10,447,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I'm trying to be more like you and not condemn certain religions but I have major issues with a faith like Islam. There are many Christian churches that make me puke [even my own on occasion] but when I read that a married couple was stoned to death yesterday because they were found to be adulterous by fellow Muslims then I get even more anti-Islam as the worst among many evil religious people. Sorry because I don't want to offend you, Gentoo.
You're not so much offending me, I'm a Christian myself, not a Muslim.

Like I said before, a lot of the examples you point to have more to do with the culture of a certain country, not the religion itself necessarily. Persians (Iranians) have a culture that is quite distinct from Lebanese. Hell they're not even the same ethnicity. Different still is Bosnia-Hercegovina, the majority of whom are also Muslim and have yet another culture. The Somalians have yet another. Chinese Muslims have little else in common with those in the middle east.

The problems you speak of are more cultural than religious. I'm sure adultery occurs in those other Muslim countries too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:17 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,682,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
For the record, Wallace, like so many other Southern Dems, quit the party in disgust over the Northern Dems (and moderate Republicans) passing the Civil Rights Act in 1964. So trying to tar the Dems by lumping Ol' George in with them is either a mistake (assuming you don't know the historical context), or dishonest (assuming you do).
Sorry but you do not have the full history right. For the record, Wallace returned to the Democrats in the 1970s.

Yes he ran as a 3rd party candidate in 1968 under the American Independent party banner

But then Wallace returned to the Dem Party fold.

Wallace was a candidate in the Democratic primaries for the 1972 Presidential nomination, winning in Michigan, Maryland, North Carolina, Tennessee and Florida. He was shot in Maryland in 1972 while campaigning for the Dem nomination. The 1972 Democratic primary results map:
File:1972DemPrimaries.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wallace even was a speaker at the 1972 Democratic Convention in Miami. He thought about running again as a 3rd party candidate but instead stayed with the Dems. His wheelchair was lifted on to the convention stage to allow him to speak to fellow Democrats.
WALLACE IN MIAMI: 'BACK INTO FIGHT'; Governor Insists That the Platfor... - Free Preview - The New York Times
WALLACE IN MIAMI: 'BACK INTO FIGHT'; Governor Insists That the Platfor... - Free Preview - The New York Times
http://icue.nbcunifiles.com/icue/fil.../pdf/37306.pdf

He ran again for the Democratic nomination in 1976 but withdrew and endorsed Carter. Wallace still won Democratic primaries in a few Southern states though.
File:1976DemocraticPresidentialPrimaries.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So yes except for that break in the late 60s, Wallace was a Democrat.

Unfortunately people either forget the whole story or try to rewrite history. Yes it is important to know history but lets remember and learn from the whole story.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:54 PM

93 posts, read 141,610 times
californio sur-
Your comments make you sound ignorant, especially your inclusion of her being a Republican. Did you even hear the broadcast in question? She clearly was not being racist. I'm not a big fan of Dr. Laura's, but the fact that this was blown up into such a big issue when it was *nothing* to begin with is very disturbing. I'm sick of people jumping on the racist bandwagon.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 AM

6,532 posts, read 8,046,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ofus View Post
californio sur-
Your comments make you sound ignorant, especially your inclusion of her being a Republican. Did you even hear the broadcast in question? She clearly was not being racist. I'm not a big fan of Dr. Laura's, but the fact that this was blown up into such a big issue when it was *nothing* to begin with is very disturbing. I'm sick of people jumping on the racist bandwagon.
I do not like Dr. Laura at all, but the truth is it began with her trying to make the point of why is it OK for black people to say it like a drunken sailor when it shouldn't be OK at all? I think it's pretty stupid and extremely "self depricating", I understand why blacks would be taken extremely aback and upset at a white person saying the word to them, but she initally was just trying to point out the illogical "double standard". Initially it was just like the South Park parody episode on the subject, which was not racist at all either.

But where Dr. Laura did go wrong is going on and on with it after (continuing to say the N-word where it wasn't needed anymore and starting to make it sound like it should be OK for non-blacks to say it casually) and saying things like, "why can't you take a joke?" or that people shouldn't "intermarry" because they should expect to hear things from people like, "what do blacks think about that?" or "what do Jews think about that?", etc.

I'm glad she quit, but more because I think she's a fruitcake (though how she handled this incident when it got "hot" showed that too) than this particular incident.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,563,806 times
I personally think her use of the Nigword was probably her lesser offense. She just gives really, really bad and biased advice. She sucks at listening to the callers, makes the classic mistake of cutting people off. I just hate her because she makes everything all about HERSELF... blah blah blah... not to mention her hypocrisy in every aspect of her life. Classic beeyotch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California