Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:39 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,212,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Because a thread about racists Democrats wouldn't last more than one page. Are you honestly suggesting that racism in the Democratic party is just as much as in the Republican party? Why do overwhelming numbers of minority people in the U.S. vote Democratic? Because they are masochists? I know this is getting off the topic but I would be happy to contribute to a thread where we can compare the two political parties and racism. Hint: have you ever heard of Nixon's "Southern Strategy"? Go ahead and start a thread on this subject and I will gladly set you straight.
Logic is your friend. Just because minorities vote democrat does not mean that (some/many) democrats aren't racist. Those are two separate ideas.

Think about the fact that most minorities tend to be less wealthy. That might have something to do with why they vote democrat. Let's not forget how many people of color are giant racists themselves.

Yes, I think many minorities voting dem are masochist. For example, gay people tend to vote democrat and have yet to really benefit from it. A dem is responsible for DOMA and dems rule congress and the white house and still haven't passed jack crap to help them. It's a ruse.

Now, if you want to say that many racists tend to favor the republican party, that makes more sense, but try to understand the difference between causation and correlation...these people are also more likely to have conservative values that make the republican party a better fit. The racism is a red herring.

So stop your self-righteous b.s. Republican does not equal racist, dem does not equal loving, all-accepting saints, and your argument does not equal making any sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:00 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,051,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
She's a psycho MOD CUT on wheels.
Actually I like the MOD CUT better than my original words! Yeah! That Dr. Laura is a psycho MOD CUT!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:03 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,051,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The only white people that can get away with saying the N-word are comedians and Eminem.
Nobody should use the word, not even blacks, not ever. The more they say it the more other people use it. There are two words that I think should be never used, and this word is one of the two.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:15 AM

206 posts, read 415,645 times
Did anyone even ask her to quit? I don't watch TV much anymore-so maybe missed it-but didn't hear much outrage or anything serious directed at her. So not sure why she quit?

She did say they offered to renew her contract and she choose to quit?

As an aside and since she brought it up, I don't know how first amendment comes into play for this. When you work for somebody, you are expected to dress and talk and behave in a certain way as part of the job. What you feel in private is your business-but last I checked, I don't think you can go to work and spout whatever it is you wan't and claim first amendment rights?? It protects you from govt -not your boss?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:30 AM

4,994 posts, read 7,189,196 times
Just like herpes, she'll be back and carrying a HUGE chip on her shoulder.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:41 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,212,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smh1 View Post
Did anyone even ask her to quit? I don't watch TV much anymore-so maybe missed it-but didn't hear much outrage or anything serious directed at her. So not sure why she quit?

She did say they offered to renew her contract and she choose to quit?

As an aside and since she brought it up, I don't know how first amendment comes into play for this. When you work for somebody, you are expected to dress and talk and behave in a certain way as part of the job. What you feel in private is your business-but last I checked, I don't think you can go to work and spout whatever it is you wan't and claim first amendment rights?? It protects you from govt -not your boss?
Good point. +1

If she said it in her private time, would it have been different? Would the outrage been less?

Old 08-18-2010, 10:18 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,352,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
You're backpedaling a bit there in your responses.

Take a good hard look at your earlier posting above, especially the part I put into bold. You clearly made a much stronger link than you subsequently claim to have stated.

Why not just say you made a mistake, just like Dr Laura?
Hey, even the chairman of the Republican party who is Black has commented on racism in the GOP but I think this thread would be veering off topic if the discussion is merely about racism in both political parties.

Dr. Laura made herself a "face" of the Republican party many years ago and that may have been a mistake since her radio show is apolitical. So the comparison between her racist comments and her political affiliation is fair but more incidental than pertinent to her resignation.

Admittedly, I have never spent much time listening to Dr Laura or any radio programs unless in a car. If it isn't ESPN, I listen to music on car radios. But going back to the incident of Dr Laura saying the "n" word 11 times in a minute. As I said before, if she had used the "f" word it would have been extremely poor judgment also with the same results. But afterward, Dr Laura wouldn't have blamed Howard Stern or other pay radio personalities who regularly use profanity. She turned on the NAACP for her own senseless mistake rather than just admit that it was an extremely poor decision and upset the very caller she was talking with; but the firestorm that followed did her in.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:40 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,320,100 times
Cal Sur, I think you and I agree that not all republicans are racist. In fact it might even be fair to say that most are not. However, I think most racist people happen to call themselves republican. Not good for the reps. at all.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,215,564 times
Hopefully she stays away for good. She's a horrible person.

As to her credentials,

"she has a PhD in Physiology, though she does have an MFCC (a certificate in marriage, family, and child counseling), the State of California, where she resides, does not consider her a psychotherapist. In fact, it is illegal in California to call oneself a psychotherapist without a state license, which she does not have.13 No one could receive an MFCC without knowing about this requirement; it is common knowledge in the psychological community. Whatever one may think of the requirement for state licenses, her claim that she is a "licensed psychotherapist" is on shaky ethical ground".
More here, http://www.secularhumanism.org/libra...sley_21_1.html

Here's a definition of what physiology is, Physiology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and for you wiki haters, another link, Physiology - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

As you can see, physiology has much to do with psychology as much as physics does. Someone in the Book Forum was going on about that and there seems to be some confusion still... :\

Old 08-18-2010, 11:43 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,265,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Racism can be very costly; it probably is
no surprise that Dr Laura is a Republican.

This is an assinine comment. What's the connection????????????????

The only fault I saw is that she failed to realize that only a black person can use the "N"-word and get away with it. Political-correctness is one-sided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California