U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-17-2010, 07:21 PM

7,413 posts, read 2,749,207 times
Default Dr Laura Resigns from Radio

Last week a local radio talk host, Dr Laura Schellinger on KFWB went out in orbit and used a racial slur repeated [saying the "n" word several times]. Dr Laura is syndicated and heard across the nation. Her program is basically giving people psychological advice. But after her huge mistake, the local radio station came under considerable pressure to do something even though Dr. Laura apologize repeatedly. This evening on Larry King's show\ CNN, Dr. Laura announced that she is resigning. Racism can be very costly; it probably is no surprise that Dr Laura is a Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-17-2010, 07:23 PM

4,815 posts, read 4,915,264 times
Fine by me! Didn't like her anyway!

Unread 08-17-2010, 07:33 PM

5,500 posts, read 6,063,751 times
Missed it. How did she say it?

Unread 08-17-2010, 07:36 PM

1,476 posts, read 902,786 times
Oh come on. She is NOT a racist. She used VERY poor judgment in using the word to make a point. She should have known better. But she did not use it in a racist way if you read what happened. Probably time for her to retire anyway, though. Although I agree with much of what she says, I find her a bit grinding. JMHO

Unread 08-17-2010, 07:37 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,349,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Racism can be very costly; it probably is no surprise that Dr Laura is a Republican.
And yet people keep letting Democrat Harry Reid get away with his comments.

Stupidity can be found in both parties.

Unread 08-17-2010, 07:53 PM

3,613 posts, read 1,189,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Missed it. How did she say it?
She used the word numerous times while taking a call from a black woman in an interracial marriage, who was complaining about feeling some prejudice from her in-laws. Not sure how it came up, but eventually Dr Laura started using the word "******", in the context of how blacks are permitted to use it, but it's verboten for anyone else. When the caller complained she found the word offensive, Dr Laura told her if she was so sensitive, she shouldn't be in an interacial relationship to begin with (or maybe she said that after the woman hung up in disgust- I don't remember)

I'm sure the whole thing's on the web somewhere.

I listened to Dr Laura when she got started here in L.A. At first, she was a fairly moderate, level-headed, entertaining radio shrink (should point out she's not a psychologist- her doctorate is in another field- but I guess there's no requirement!) But, her political conservatism started to color her solutions to people's problems. She was especially hard on working mothers, who she thought should stay at home, and on gays, who she thought were clinically ill (she moderated this position over the years).

Dr Laura's ratings slipped, and she went from blow-hard megaphone KFI to a smaller station. Then this occurred a few months later.

I think it's a case of someone hanging around past their expiration date. Plenty examples of that throughout history!

Unread 08-17-2010, 08:02 PM

4,815 posts, read 4,915,264 times

YouTube - Dr. Laura's N-Word Rant

Unread 08-17-2010, 08:06 PM

6,476 posts, read 12,618,134 times
Well, her "Dr." was self endowed. Did not like the ole turkey neck myself.

Unread 08-17-2010, 08:11 PM

11,730 posts, read 21,932,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
All I know about this story is what was in the link above. That said, I think she's 100% right about the double standard of who can and can't use certain words but that's just the way it is. She was pretty stupid to jump in that giant bucket of s#1t with both feet on the air like that.

Unread 08-17-2010, 08:13 PM

7,413 posts, read 2,749,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
She used the word numerous times while taking a call from a black woman in an interracial marriage, who was complaining about feeling some prejudice from her in-laws. Not sure how it came up, but eventually Dr Laura started using the word "******", in the context of how blacks are permitted to use it, but it's verboten for anyone else. When the caller complained she found the word offensive, Dr Laura told her if she was so sensitive, she shouldn't be in an interacial relationship to begin with (or maybe she said that after the woman hung up in disgust- I don't remember)

I'm sure the whole thing's on the web somewhere.

I listened to Dr Laura when she got started here in L.A. At first, she was a fairly moderate, level-headed, entertaining radio shrink (should point out she's not a psychologist- her doctorate is in another field- but I guess there's no requirement!) But, her political conservatism started to color her solutions to people's problems. She was especially hard on working mothers, who she thought should stay at home, and on gays, who she thought were clinically ill (she moderated this position over the years).

Dr Laura's ratings slipped, and she went from blow-hard megaphone KFI to a smaller station. Then this occurred a few months later.

I think it's a case of someone hanging around past their expiration date. Plenty examples of that throughout history!
Thanks for the historic background. I know Dr, Laura was dropped by KFI and it probably had to do with her loss of listeners; bottom line is how many people are willing to listen to her. Radio stations generate revenue from sponsors based on number of listeners. Dr. Laura moved to KFWB, a station that used to be all-news several months ago. According to news accounts last week, Dr. Laura realized she made a huge mistake right after she repeated the "n" word eleven times in a row. I think she had a melt down on the air. Now she claims her right to free speech is being compromised because of the outrage and KFWB's insistence that she apologize. I think they gave her the choice to resign or be fired.

If Dr. Laura had repeated the "f" word 11 times in as a minute, she would also be fired since public radio is not allowed to use vulgar street language. Dr. Laura is a staunch Republican; racism is just below the surface and now she has to pay for her true feelings. Too bad but it was a good decision to take her off the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California