Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 09:31 AM

30 posts, read 121,289 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband and I are considering a move to CA. We currently live in Memphis, TN (originally from Mississippi ...I know, sad isn't it?!! Ha, Ha, Ha) He works for the Post Office and can pretty much re-locate anywhere in CA. We have both lived in CA in the early 80's (Me in Irvine and Tustin for 2 years {my daughter was born in Mission Viejo}, and he lived in LA for 1 year {graduated from Musician's Institute}). The problem is I want to live in Orange County because of the location (beaches nearby, mountains in the distance, weather in the 70's year round, orange groves, lemon groves, etc.) and he is wanting to live in San Bernardino because the cost of living is lower, plus, he has a friend from there that is telling him how "great" it is to live there. I am concerned about the low income, which leads to a higher crime rate and the weather. We are both SICK of ice storms and snow and 30 degree or lower weather in the winter months!! He also likes Orange County but is concerned about the high cost of living. We "think" we have found some ways to counter the cost by building a geodesic dome (check out the website on domes if you are interested; www.naturalspacesdomes.com ) so we will not have a huge mortgage which seems to be the problem in Orange. We can build a 3 story, 40' diameter dome with around 5,000 sq feet, completed (inside and out) for UNDER $200,000. Plus, we are going with the SOLAR GRID so we won't have a utility bill or have to worry about brownouts or blackouts, etc. Our main cost will be the LAND (only looking for a 1/2 - 1 acre) and property or land tax. I can only imagine how much that little bit of land would be...
I would love to hear MORE about San Bernardino other than "just don't move there". Aren't there ANY good places to live there??? Plus, any info. on how much land goes for in Orange county and San B. would be extremely helpful and appreciated....I may be asking about other areas in CA from time to time, and really appreciate any and ALL feedback whether negative or good. Thanks y'all!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2006, 09:53 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
First of all, check county building and safety codes to see if you're even allowed to build your dream dome. That may be a bigger factor than you're planning for.

My opinion? I think your husband's San Berdoo friend has succumbed to the syndrome wherein people isolated in distant locales beg their friends to move there for company. It may not be all he claims, remember. Also, I really don't think a geodesic dome in the San Bernardino hinterlands would afford you much equity were you ever to want to relocate again. Particularly if you find your friend was exaggerating about quality of life.

You should not rule out Orange County. Keep searching for something you can afford, and the two of you may be much happier in the long run. You'll have equity, even on a small condo, to trade up later, you'll have a fabulous climate, and far more job possibities for both of you, not to mention superior recreation. In San Bernardino, you'll have "desert rats" (not a slur: people who prefer the stark bareness of arid climes call themselves that,) economically-challenged people, dangerous people, and wild fires each and every late summer.

Go to realtordotcom, not spelled out, to start to compare prices between the two.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the advice "fastfilm"! Way ahead of you on the building, safety and zoning codes. Thanks for the "input" on SB. What you are saying pretty much follows what most are saying. There are a variety of reasons why I do not want to live there and you hit on the majority of them. Thanks also for the website info on pricing.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:33 PM

My husband and I were looking at land prices this afternoon...
What about Buena Park? Anyone have any info about this area?? Seems to be alot of what we are looking for, including land price. I would appreciate any feedback on this area.
THANKS!!!

Old 08-13-2006, 08:21 PM

625 posts, read 2,435,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgirl
My husband and I were looking at land prices this afternoon...
What about Buena Park? Anyone have any info about this area?? Seems to be alot of what we are looking for, including land price. I would appreciate any feedback on this area.
THANKS!!!
Buena Park is pretty much hit-or-miss. I know some folks who live in BP (off Dale and LaPalma) where the homes are older (1950's) but nice large lots and well maintained. A lot of it, sadly, ain't worth the time.

Land in OC, to put it mildly, is far too expensive or if in an area NOT on a major street has already been developed, if it even exists--which is why the majority of building has moved east out to the Inland Empire (IE) areas like Corona, Temecula, Hemet, Riverside, etc.

Hate to say it, but I'd suggest a personal visit out here if finances permit so you can see some of the land you are apparently exicted about. You know how it is..."But it looked so NICE on the website!!!"

Old 08-13-2006, 11:11 PM

149 posts, read 1,022,360 times
I'm one of those desert rats I can't give you a comparision of counties, but you may want to look into building codes before you have your heart set on building a geodesic cheaply. Believe me, it has become the California dream to build for under $250k. Labor, land prices, and insurance have driven building in this area extremely expensive. I have been looking into building off the grid and simply ( possibly strawbale) for some time now.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:29 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
desertdweller, one is allowed to build strawbale houses in New Mexico: my brother just did so as an adjunct to his Bed & Breakfast place.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the info. OCCASPARKY!
Yes, land prices were very pricey. We would look in to the foreclosures, which I am sure there would be alot of those also... And yes, I agree that a trip to these areas would be a "must do" before making any decision. We plan on spending a week in each area we would be interested in. The land we saw in Buena was on a hillside overlooking the water. It was residential but road was undeveloped. It was selling for 35,000 (we would double the price for more land). Kinda has me wondering why so cheap??? It was a spectacular view overlooking the city, then the water beyond that.
Thanks for the information!!!!

Old 08-14-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdweller
I'm one of those desert rats I can't give you a comparision of counties, but you may want to look into building codes before you have your heart set on building a geodesic cheaply. Believe me, it has become the California dream to build for under $250k. Labor, land prices, and insurance have driven building in this area extremely expensive. I have been looking into building off the grid and simply ( possibly strawbale) for some time now.
Thanks Desertdweller for the information! I agree on the building and zoning codes. That is a "must do" also. We would do the dome frame ourselves (can be done in a weekend with 3-5 people, completely covered), and alot of the interior work (flooring, tile, etc.), but we would need some help as far as pouring the concrete and the drywall and roofing, electrical and plumbing, so I am sure that would be expensive. The dome company will fly people out to your site to do alot of the work or work with sub-contractors in the area. Its really neat how you can do most of the work yourself. (Would probably put a trailor on our land and live in that while completing the work on the dome.)
We got most of our info. on solar from www.DIYNETWORK.com Its less expensive to put in new homes than existing ones. Its more expensive on the front end, but the system will more than pay for itself within 6 months to a year, plus you get kickbacks from the power co. They will actually buy what you don't use. You will also get a substantial break on your homeowners insurance for going solar. Even if you don't go 100%.
I know this is turning into a long response, but, can you give me some examples of what the weather is like in SB? The name "desertdweller" and the term "desertrat" has me wondering just how hot it gets there??? Does it get cold in the winter time? I know desert type conditions are usually hot / day and cooler / night. It gets really hot here in Memphis. The temp will be 100 but the HUMIDITY makes it feel like its 110 - 115. Very unbearable... How is the humidity there? THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY AND ALL INFO. ABOUT THE AREA!!!!

Old 08-14-2006, 10:38 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,742,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgirl
Thanks for the info. OCCASPARKY!
Yes, land prices were very pricey. We would look in to the foreclosures, which I am sure there would be alot of those also... And yes, I agree that a trip to these areas would be a "must do" before making any decision. We plan on spending a week in each area we would be interested in. The land we saw in Buena was on a hillside overlooking the water. It was residential but road was undeveloped. It was selling for 35,000 (we would double the price for more land). Kinda has me wondering why so cheap??? It was a spectacular view overlooking the city, then the water beyond that.
Thanks for the information!!!!
Where in Buena Park did you find land for $35k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California