U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2010, 12:23 AM

4 posts, read 13,436 times

Advertisements

I have searched and searched the internet, and have friends who say otherwise, but here goes:
I am from New Mexico, we have a 3% tax rate on registering vehicles. This unnamed Cali dealer says if i pick up the vehicle and drive it back to NM I will have to pay the 8.xx % cali sales tax, as well as the 3% NM tax. They sais they can have a driver drive my vehicle to yuma AZ and i can avoid the tax by picking it up there, but id rather just have it trucked to NM for 750.. I have a friend who got a Saab from cali and drove it back and only paid tax when he registered it in NM. I dont understand why this dealership says I will have to pay Cali sales tax no matter what unless I first get the vehicle out of state. Does anyone know what the answer to this absolutely moronic question is? I have looked over Cali's MVD site, and other sites, and the only thing i have found supporting this is this: "The sales tax will be calculated based on the purchase price of the vehicle and the current tax rate of the city or locality it is purchased in"

This info is from: Do I Have to Pay a Sales Tax for Buying a Car?

Help Please!!!!

-Chris
(Massacre)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 12:56 AM

3,116 posts, read 4,085,009 times
It seems pretty clear to me - if you buy a car in the state of California, then you pay the sales tax for the city or region where the sale takes place.

It doesn't really matter where you live, the only thing that matters - when you're talking California sales tax - is where the actual sale takes place.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:28 AM

I understand that, but why do they keep telling me I can avoid it by taking sale in yuma for example, and why would I not have to pay sales taz in Arizona because of that... I am just a bit confused. I have a friend willing to drive it to NM for me, Could I say hes going to "deliver it" to me? haha

Old 08-19-2010, 01:28 PM

14,207 posts, read 26,395,221 times
Vehicles exported out of State do not incur California Sales Tax...

Exported means the Dealer physically delivers the car across State Lines...

This can be done by someone employed by the dealer or a ICC transportation company...

CA only cares that the car leaves CA... so AZ works as far as CA is concerned... not sure how you would legally drive through AZ if the license also had expired.

At least this has been my experience working in the Car Business.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:52 AM

Damn, thats pretty lame, They want to charge me 500 to have a driver to take it to Yuma AZ, and the shipping to NM is only 800, seems almost stupid not just have it shipped

Old 08-21-2010, 12:53 PM

14,207 posts, read 26,395,221 times
$800 sounds about right...

Shipping distance is always less than driver... car carriers can transport 8 or more vehicles with one driver.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:53 PM

Yeah, I was just hoping that I could somehow drive the vehicle back, would be fun to get to take a weekend trip, and on top of that it would cost a lot less than having it transported
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California