Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 10:44 PM
R66 R66 started this thread

145 posts, read 419,600 times

Advertisements

Hello Group :

I am back in Los Angeles living in western SF Valley again; Woodland Hills/Canoga Park area. I lived here before from late 80s to mid 90s ... So, I am trying to make a decicion to stay here or move over the Hill to SM, Malibu or Venice.

My Question: Should I stay in the west valley? Here things are cheaper, less traffic and walkable areas - Topanga and Victory.

Rent rates and most other stuff seems higher on the westside of LA than the Valley ......

Campared to LA's westside, folks in west SF Valley seem less materialistic and more down to earth.

I am 44, divorce, no kids, self-employed ( and work via my Laptop ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:51 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Why leave? You seem happy and costs are reasonable. The Valley may not be as fast paced as the Westside or Santa Monica and kind of hot but at least you are close to all 3 areas.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Tough to answer. Seems like you would know the basic differences. Since you work from your laptop commuting isn't a problem.

Pluses for the valley: cheaper, less dense (congested), no June gloom (this year was extra gloomy on the coast)
Minuses for the valley: Hot in summer, less special or exciting amenities (high quality restaurants, clubs) other than Ventura Boulevard, monotonous
Pluses for those coastal areas: Great weather just about all year, diversity of amenities, near the beach, more of a "singles" culture, diversity of people (you're more likely to have a guy making $250K a year standing in line in a Speedy's 7-11 behind a homeless person), probably closer to jobs if you ever go back to working out of home
Minuses for the beach areas: dense (cars, lights, traffic, noise), some grungy areas next to $2M homes, expensive - even in the grungier areas.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:02 PM

Charles, Calif Sur : Thanks for the quick feedback ....

Old 08-20-2010, 12:42 PM

No more comments .... ?

Old 08-21-2010, 10:59 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Well, since you work from your laptop why not give it a trial run. How about looking for a vacation rental through craigslist and doing it for a limited time - maybe a week+ just to see if you prefer it?

Charles brought up some good differences. But everyone has their preferences. The nice thing is you can live wherever you want. So this same question could apply to anywhere else in the country really.

For me, it would come down to a few primary questions:

1. Which area do you enjoy the most in your spare time?
2. Where are your social groups or where would you like to establish them?
3. Proximity to family?
4. Which weather pattern do you prefer (coastal v. valley)?

Also how about the South Bay? Torrance, Redondo, Manhattan, etc...? Is there anything keeping you so close to the valley/west side? In other words what about other locations, counties, or even states? What would your ideal location consist of?

For me I like to bike, hike, surf and generally hang out at the beach with my family. Plus I enjoy the coastal weather pattern and cleaner air much, much more. So this would be an easy decision. But for you there may be things which you like more about the valley? Sure the coast costs more. But for many the cost of admission is worth it. However that is not the case for everyone. Some even move to Bakersfield or the Inland Empire for more affordability. Maybe the valley is a happy balance for you between affordability and proximity to the coast?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-21-2010 at 11:08 AM..

Old 08-25-2010, 11:07 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
Hello Group :

I am back in Los Angeles living in western SF Valley again; Woodland Hills/Canoga Park area. I lived here before from late 80s to mid 90s ... So, I am trying to make a decicion to stay here or move over the Hill to SM, Malibu or Venice.

My Question: Should I stay in the west valley? Here things are cheaper, less traffic and walkable areas - Topanga and Victory.

Rent rates and most other stuff seems higher on the westside of LA than the Valley ......

Campared to LA's westside, folks in west SF Valley seem less materialistic and more down to earth.

West Valley does seem more like living in a big small town as compared to the more dense, fast paced Westside. I grew up in the area so I am quite familar with its plues and minues.

As already noted, some of the downsides to the West Valley are the summer heat and winter nights are more chilly. Upsides to the West Valley climate are MORE sunshine (read: less fog) than Malibu or even the westside. Perfect LA climate for me is Westwood/Bev Hills/Miracle Mile.

For me personally, I'll take West LA over the West Valley given I am single and prefer to be closer to the action. Granted you run into more attitude in those places but plenty of "normal" people to be found too.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:15 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
Hello Group :

*tosses the baited hook into the water*

Palmdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California