Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 04:26 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Albert hammond wrote & sang that song & its one of my 70s favorite & it hardly rains in so.ca. I havent seen rain in almost 4 months. Im sick of this dry/hot climate. Listen to the lyrics of the hit song. Its happened to ALOT of "dreamers".
ALBERT HAMMOND - IT NEVER RAINS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA Lyrics
You are always complaining about the weather. We had one of the coolest summers on record [in-fact we broke all records for cool temps in many parts of California this summer]. I remember you writing about how it was great that you didn't have to use your swamp coolers, remember? Now that it is back to normal weather you get all negative. People would love to live in our climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 04:34 PM

514 posts, read 686,858 times
Some people are happier back east, like Missouri, or Georgia or any of the interchangable states back there, they like it green, green is pretty, green is, because of rain, any day any time, complete with bugs and humidity.

When I was stationed back east in the military, I could not stand all that cloying green. I would go to the movies to watch Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns just to see "dry/hot climate", brown hills, dry riverbeds. Made me homesick.

It is nice to live in a place, where when you sweat, it evaporates.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
Some people are happier back east, like Missouri, or Georgia or any of the interchangable states back there, they like it green, green is pretty, green is, because of rain, any day any time, complete with bugs and humidity.

When I was stationed back east in the military, I could not stand all that cloying green. I would go to the movies to watch Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns just to see "dry/hot climate", brown hills, dry riverbeds. Made me homesick.

Did you forget already. You have no credibility. You've proven it again by calling the states of GA and MO interchangable. Nothing could be further from the truth. I spent the better part of a year at Benning's School for Boys for Infantry OCS and Ranger School, plus some cadre time in Dahlonega. The two states are very different. But I won't try ta 'splain it to ya. You probably still wouldn't get it and dissemble.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post

That is so funny. But you are right. My family visits Puerto Rico at least once of twice a year and believe me, it is very green there because of tropical rainstorms that occur almost every day. Humid even in winter! When we fly back into California the air is dry and warm. Yes, it is nice when the hillsides are all green each winter but to stay green means rainfall and rainfall during summer mean mugginess. I like it dry.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:03 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
That is so funny. But you are right. My family visits Puerto Rico at least once of twice a year and believe me, it is very green there because of tropical rainstorms that occur almost every day. Humid even in winter! When we fly back into California the air is dry and warm. Yes, it is nice when the hillsides are all green each winter but to stay green means rainfall and rainfall during summer mean mugginess. I like it dry.
I agree! I vacationed in Texas for a week (wayy too long) and only after about 1 day I was already sick and tired of all the green. lol. Keep in mind a lot of Texas doesn't look that green, but the part I was in, was too green in my opinion. It was like apple green and an eye sore! I couldn't wait to get back home. lol! Yes, it was humid and really hot there too. yuck!

Old 08-20-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
I agree! I vacationed in Texas for a week (wayy too long) and only after about 1 day I was already sick and tired of all the green. lol. Keep in mind a lot of Texas doesn't look that green, but the part I was in, was too green in my opinion. It was like apple green and an eye sore! I couldn't wait to get back home. lol! Yes, it was humid and really hot there too. yuck!
The thing about Texas and a lot of the country is that during winter it is not green but rather brown. The grass dies and the trees are leafless. In southern California winter is green with grass on the hillside, flowers everywhere and trees with leaves. Our summers turn brown unless people water their lawns.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:26 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
I agree! I vacationed in Texas for a week (wayy too long) and only after about 1 day I was already sick and tired of all the green. lol. Keep in mind a lot of Texas doesn't look that green, but the part I was in, was too green in my opinion. I couldn't weight to get back home. lol! Yes, it was humid and really hot there too. yuck!
Having moved here from Sacramento I have to chuckle a bit. Right now the humidity in Sacto is at 26%. Here in these reviled ol' Ozarks it's 42% and that and the temperature are unseasonably high this year, just as last winter was unseasonably cold.

What makes me chuckle is that here in the very southern midwest, throughout the south and much of the east it's the polar opposite of California when it comes to being green. Spring, summer and fall here are green. Winter is gray and brown. In much of CA from The Sacramento Valley, south, the opposite is true. In the spring, things start to turn brown. That continues through the summer and into the fall and then things begin to green up for winter.

Being born in San Diego and raised at the beach, all seasons were similar (not including Santa Ana winds and June Gloom) in that the beaches where I spent most of my time all had light golden-brown sand year round.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:42 PM

31 posts, read 70,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Albert hammond wrote & sang that song & its one of my 70s favorite & it hardly rains in so.ca. I havent seen rain in almost 4 months. Im sick of this dry/hot climate. Listen to the lyrics of the hit song. Its happened to ALOT of "dreamers".
ALBERT HAMMOND - IT NEVER RAINS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA Lyrics
Yes it is an old song.Is it strange that a Ms. young like so old song?
Every dreamer is the same.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I find it funny how people complain that it doesn't rain much but then when it does rain, they get mad about that too.
Haha,that is human nuture.I often do

Old 08-20-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But unlike the rain in Spain it doesn't fall mainly on the plain!

Too cold in No. China? I lived in what was then known as Tsingtao (now Qingdao ) for two years and survived it, and I'm not Chinese. I still have pictures of me in the snow there.
Qingdao is a coastal city,so not too cold in winter,but sometimes heavy snow.Shenzhen is a coastal city,too,but it is in the tropics. never snow!I have been to many places in China,Beijing,Nanjing,Xi'an,Sanya and so on,always in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California