Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
There goes my brilliant suggestion down the dumper.
And here I was going to recommend Gilroy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Tip, my guests do not like garlic or spicy food,
Well, you did mention that they're British.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:17 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Quote:
There goes my brilliant suggestion down the dumper.
I am NOT giving my mum-in-law anything with Insanity Sauce in it, just incase that was part of your brilliant suggestion

Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 AM

By the way, I'm getting some great ideas, thanks to everyone posting. I think Paradise Cove in Malibu might be nice in the early evening as well.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:48 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
By the way, I'm getting some great ideas, thanks to everyone posting. I think Paradise Cove in Malibu might be nice in the early evening as well.
From Paradise Cove you can take a jaunt to the Malibu Hindu Temple for a short picnic before heading into Santa Monica/Venice. Another quiet spot is Hollywood Forever Cemetery if you're spending time in Hollywood. Echo Huntington Library, but Griffith Park Observatory could be part of that day trip. Could you spare time for a ride to Catalina Island? Perhaps before a visit to the Queen Mary? There are Long Beach gondola rides for the evening, probably nice around the Thanksgiving holiday.

Going to a show taping as mentioned above would be pretty great too. Maybe Leno (I know, he's not my favorite but still...) if it's possible. Or Ellen. I think there's some waiting involved though, but with the daytime shows you usually end up with free audience gifts, right? I'd also make a trip to Vegas. If she's a reader you can catch a lot of great author appearances, usually on the Westside so it can be part of other plans going out. Day of the Dead events are at the beginning of November. If they miss autumn take them on a trip to Lake Arrowhead. There may be snow by then.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
While you're in Santa Monica and if they're the least bit homesick you can always take them to Ye Olde King's Head on Santa Monica Blvd. and Ocean Ave.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:44 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ofus View Post
So, I take it you will be in southern California? If you head north, the redwoods would be a good choice, the coast, San Francisco, wine country.....as far as food, Mexican food doesn't have to be spicey and it is very California...also good ol' pizza, California style. Wine country cuisine is delicious and would probably work.
Aside from the coast redwoods, not that many things in California are "Quintessential California".

Not even earthquakes.

To see the best of the redwoods, one pretty much needs to see the Giant Sequoias or the north Coast Redwoods from Meyers Flat to Crescent City: since Muir Woods is not really in the redwoods Big League.

Yosemite is a nice CA essential. Not sure about Alcatraz.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:48 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How about the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens in San Marino(near Pasadena).
Ditto that. The Huntington is "the Kew of California." I would go to the Getty Museum as well.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:52 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
I am NOT giving my mum-in-law anything with Insanity Sauce in it, just incase that was part of your brilliant suggestion
No, I was going to suggest Bludso's BBQ in Compton. That's not necessarily chile hot, but it is redolent with spices.

You could compromise and take them to Roscoe's.

I'm trying to suggest an American theme here, seeing as how they're from Blighty. I mean, when I'm over there, the last food on my mind is what I eat here... I'm looking for toad-in-the-hole, FEB, bangers and mash, bubble and squeak, Sunday lunch, trifle, and spotted Dick, stuff like that.

My sister's over there as I type this, and I told her to not bother coming back until she's tucked into a full English at least twice.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
No, I was going to suggest Bludso's BBQ in Compton. That's not necessarily chile hot, but it is redolent with spices.

You could compromise and take them to Roscoe's.

I'm trying to suggest an American theme here, seeing as how they're from Blighty. I mean, when I'm over there, the last food on my mind is what I eat here... I'm looking for toad-in-the-hole, FEB, bangers and mash, bubble and squeak, Sunday lunch, trifle, and spotted Dick, stuff like that.

My sister's over there as I type this, and I told her to not bother coming back until she's tucked into a full English at least twice.
Bubble & squeak is FAB! I take it you've been to the North East of England then? If you go to Fresh & Easy you might find some in the frozen section, plus other British foods, since the store IS British owned I sent some tinned Spotted Dick home to the family one Christmas. At first they thought I was just being rude, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California