U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-27-2010, 01:32 PM

2,418 posts, read 1,364,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
We're that good?!? Hellllllllll, yeah! I thought for sure we'd be 51, even behind Washington D.C.
You probably haven't heard of the cry "Thank God for Mississippi". It's often heard in other neighboring Southern states like Alabama or Louisiana, meaning that in many statistics such as per capita income, levels of social development, economic development, Mississippi ranks dead last or near the bottom in many of them, and these Southern states (somewhat) comfort themselves that for their low rankings, at least they're ahead of MS.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-27-2010, 02:49 PM

913 posts, read 1,428,008 times
State of Our Schools: Bigger classes, fewer resources - Students return amid unsettling times for local districts - Santa Cruz Sentinel

Excerpt from the article :

"Unsettling changes have taken place at county schools in the wake of the state's $19 billion shortfall that led Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to call for a $2.5 billion reduction in education spending this year.

Class sizes have shot up, supply budgets have been slashed, the school year has been shortened and parents are pitching in more than ever to keep schools afloat.

This is the new deal in public education as California grapples with back*-to- back years of financial challenges described by school officials as the worst anyone can remember.

“We're in a fiscal environment that's unprecedented,” said Gary Bloom, superintendent of Santa Cruz City Schools."

Unread 08-27-2010, 07:07 PM

514 posts, read 74,519 times
Quote:
I think you have been reading too much junk, where are you getting the crap about most being overwieght? No one will deny obesity is a problem in the country but to say most is a pretty far reach, plus have you even thought about all the things that lead to obesity? It isn't just lack of exercise, though that is one factor. It is fast food and sugar added to every thing many people eat. Try to buy cereal that isn't laden with sugar?

If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. If you are sitting on your tuckas, you tain't burning much.

I still want you to explain what is the difference between watching a baseball or football game and renting a movie or going to a concert. Are you saying the only form of entertainnment one should be part of is exercise?

the difference? is between watching and doing, seems simple to me, as far as renting or movie or going to a concert, or watching TV the rule in our house was always, if the sun is out, you are out. Nighttime and snowy or rainy days were the only times when butt sitting entertainment was aloud, now the seeming hypocrisy would be, here I sit, typing, but, I am old, and I post, leave do stuff, wander back, post, leave do stuff. and part of me sitting here is work.

What about shut ins and seniors who can not get out or those who live in cold winter climates?

Why would cold winter climates keep one indoors? That is what god made skis for. Shutins and seniors should be taken out, if these people stop exercising, that is when system failure sets in.

They should not be able to watch a basketball game? What would you suggest people do when the heat exceeds 100 degrees, run and have a heat stroke?

The reverse of, when the sun is out, you are out,

what I see is you making any excuse possible for butt sitting, but, that is not how this country became great, it became great because people worked hard, physically. I am very much a social Darwinist, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Sorry, your idea is totally crazy?

Sorry, my idea is also Lance Armstrongs, Maia Ham, the Phelps kid, Bjorn Daehli's Reinhold Meissner's, Edmund Hillary's in fact my idea is anyone's who accomplished something using the physical world.

Unread 08-27-2010, 07:52 PM

Default Please stay on topic

Can we please stay on topic per the rules of city data?

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Unread 08-27-2010, 07:56 PM

Default Los Angeles Times March 2010

Clearly I am not the only one who cares about this issue.

Thousands protest California education cuts - Los Angeles Times

Unread 08-27-2010, 08:29 PM

12,573 posts, read 21,918,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Can we please stay on topic per the rules of city data?

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.
Good Point

Lots of information here... just remember to keep it topic related

Unread 08-28-2010, 08:44 AM

17,743 posts, read 13,404,162 times
Quote:
Clearly I am not the only one who cares about this issue.

Thousands protest California education cuts - Los Angeles Times
From the article, "Among their complaints: the cutting of more than 1,500 class sections this year, a 13% drop."

Perhaps if the colleges and universities concentrated more on the basics and less on the PC, feel good, "happening" and trendy courses there would be classes available for students who wanted to get a truly applicable education.

Unread 08-28-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
From the article, "Among their complaints: the cutting of more than 1,500 class sections this year, a 13% drop."

Perhaps if the colleges and universities concentrated more on the basics and less on the PC, feel good, "happening" and trendy courses there would be classes available for students who wanted to get a truly applicable education.
That sounds like a very narrow-minded idea of what education should be. The basics should have been taught in K-12.

Unread 08-28-2010, 12:30 PM

514 posts, read 74,519 times
We would not want our children to get a cutting edge education now would we, back to McGuffy's reader, at the College level???

Unread 08-28-2010, 01:29 PM

17,743 posts, read 13,404,162 times
Quote:
That sounds like a very narrow-minded idea of what education should be. The basics should have been taught in K-12.
Unfortunately, in all too many cases the basics aren't being taught during K-12 requiring time and money to teach remedial courses in the community colleges rather than transfer courses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California