Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:46 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times

Advertisements

List your best places to visit or hang out in Santa Barbara County.

I've always retained fond memories of Solvang, no matter how hokey other people might find the place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
The patio in the back on Figueroa with a cappucino or caffelatte: The French Press - Santa Barbara, CA
Try it, you'll like!

BTW, where is Hell Town?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:08 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
My list is very short:

Old 08-24-2010, 07:33 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Rattlesnake Canyon for great hiking and views
Coal Oil Point at low tide for tide pools and a gorgeous beach walk
Woodstock's in IV for the best pizza ever

Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
List your best places to visit or hang out in Santa Barbara County.

I've always retained fond memories of Solvang, no matter how hokey other people might find the place
I also really like the Santa Ynez valley but the last time it was discussed some posters hate it and belittled those who didn't agree with them which I don't understand because Solvang has lots of history and the vineyards and great bbq restaurants [Los Alamos] are well worth a visit. I love Santa Barbara; hang out on State Street or down at the wharf. Mission Santa Barbara is considered the jewel of all the old California missions. Santa Barbara has a big fiesta every year in August called "Old Spanish Days" that is also a lot of fun.

Santa Barbara beach

Santa Barbara downtown

Los Olivos in Santa Ynez valley

Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 AM

514 posts, read 686,421 times
San Rafael Wilderness

Old 08-24-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
The patio in the back on Figueroa with a cappucino or caffelatte: The French Press - Santa Barbara, CA
Try it, you'll like!

BTW, where is Hell Town?
Van Nuys. Of course, I'm sure some would disagree with me because they actually like Van Nuys. My Hell is their Paradise But this lifestyle and type of area is not satisfying for me. I require a place a bit slower and less populated.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:52 AM

Californo Sur, I agree, the mission is a jewel among missions, and Santa Barbara beaches are gorgeous.

Highnlite - Tell me more about San Rafael Wilderness. My husband and I are looking for decent areas to hike. Are there trails of differing difficulty levels?

Snort - sounds like a nice place to chill. I so DO the cappucino thing. One of my favortite ways to relax is by sitting at an outside table at a cafe.

CaliTerp - Rattlesnake Canyon? Does it live up to its name? What would you rate its difficulty level? I am looking for something moderate.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:29 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Well, I've never seen a rattlesnake there! I haven't hiked it in several years, so I don't know what it's like today, but 4-5 years ago it was a very nice, moderate hike. There are tons of great ideas listed here:

Santa Barbara Hikes - Trails, day hiking, backpacking in Santa Barbara, Montecito, Gaviota, Carpinteria, California

And RS Canyon specifically:

Rattlesnake Trail · Santa Barbara Hikes

Old 08-24-2010, 11:39 AM

514 posts, read 686,421 times
Cyanna, The San Rafael wilderness is the upper water shed of the Sisquoc River. In its heart it is very isolated. The river with its waterfalls is a 15 to 20 mile hike from a trailhead. Nira is the most common trailhead on the south. It is about 200,000 acres, and connects to the Dick Smith, Matilja and Sespe Wilderness, giving about a million acres to hike in.

In the San Rafael there are hikes of varying degrees of difficulty, depending on the length. A good first hike is from the parking at Redrock at the end of the Paradise road to Gibraltar dam, the middle of the three dams on the Santa Ynez River.

There are areas with swimming holes in various places. Red Rock is great, but it has been over run with the sort of people that require a law enforcement presence.

Good information can be found at santabarbarahikes.com

As part of the stimulus package Obama gave 129 million bucks to the National Forests to repair trails and campgrounds, the most money since Roosevelt, there were 4 CCC crews working in the San Rafael Wilderness this year, the trails are in the best shape they have been in in years.

P.S. Summer is a tad warm for hiking in there, you may want to wait until the weather cools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California