Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 01:11 AM

12 posts, read 95,955 times

Advertisements

I can't find the answer to this specific scenario and I want to have some idea of what things are going to cost when I go to the DMV.

I own a 2005 car that was purchased new from a dealership in CA when I used to be a resident of the state. I drove for 1 year before moving out of state. It was last registered in CA in 2006. I moved out of CA 4 years ago and now have an out of state drivers license and plates. (I still possess my original CA plates since I was not required to surrender them.)

I'm moving back to CA permanently and will have to update my license and car registration. I'm trying to get an idea of how much it's going to cost, but the DMV calculator isn't helping. It's assessing me penalties for not registering my car in CA for the past 4 years, even though I wasn't a resident of the state at that time and the car was registered legally in another state.

Complicating all of this is that I paid off the loan on my car just 2 months ago and I now have the Title Certificate from the loan company, which shows the address where I used to live in CA when I purchased the car. I also have to update the title into my name only.

Given all of this information, does anyone have any idea how much the DMV is going to charge me to do the following? (1) Get CA drivers license, (2) Register car with out-of-state plates but originally purchased in CA, (3) Re-title car into my own name.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 10:20 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
I just did this exact thing, unfortunately I don't remember though I don't think it was super expensive - however my vehicle is a 1998 F-150.

Regardless, it is going to cost whatever it costs. I don't think you can do anything about it. Just remember to get your smog done first and show up with your license, title, proof of insurance, and current registration. You may have to take a written test. (I didn't study at all and I got one wrong. Didn't realize it is illegal to smoke in the vehicle if there are passengers under 18 in the vehicle.)

Old 08-28-2010, 10:52 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,828,732 times
My husband and I just did this same thing with 2 vehicles. It was about $300/vehicle to register them (they are 2006 vehicles) and it was $31/driver's license. We had to take the written test. I didn't study, and I got 100%, my husband didn't study and I think he missed 1. Definitely do the smog check before you go.

V. =)

Old 08-28-2010, 09:41 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I really appreciate it. I was expecting over $1000 based on the DMV calculator, so this makes me feel a lot better. (I knew that calculator was messed up!)

Thanks for the reminder about the smog testing too. I knew I was forgetting something.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:12 PM

Some follow-up...

Went to the DMV before it opened, computers were down for 2-2.5 hours state-wide first thing in the morning. This thinned out the herd from about 150 people to 50 in line in front of me without appointments. Got helped fast after finally getting inside the door--less than 15 minutes from the time I had a number in my hand to the time I got called.

Since I previously had a CA drivers license, it was considered a renewal. Got my old license number back (nice surprise). Had to take the 18-question renewal written test, have vision screening, and take a new photo. $31.

Registration was more complicated. It didn't matter that the car was previously registered in CA; my old CA plates were useless. It did matter that it was purchased and titled in CA. Did not have to pay an additional sales/use taxes since they were already paid to CA. If you have a CA title, but registration in another state (which would be the scenario if you moved out of state while still paying off a loan, you have to have a written statement from the out-of-state DMV saying why an out-of-state title was not issued. In my case, the out-of-state registration said "no title issued" which was apparently good enough. If it hadn't said that, CA DMV would have wanted a written statement/letter from the out-of-state DMV explaining why no title was issued when the car was registered. I had to surrender my out-of-state plates and got CA plates and stickers on the spot. They didn't bring up smog testing at all, but I had it done the day prior and the result was forwarded electronically to the DMV. $198 for registration and re-titling to get the lien holder removed.

Total time spent: 5 hours. Waited in line or for a counter 8 separate times. An appointment would have just reduced the initial wait. If the computer were running correctly, that may have been 1 hour or so. The walk-in numbers were flying every few minutes, but it was a good 15-20 minutes between times they called numbers for appointments.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:57 PM

422 posts, read 788,097 times
5 hours? That is crazy. Is this typical of the wait time at the DMV in CA?

Old 04-30-2015, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 8,595 times
Default Wait Time

Yes, the wait time is really that long. I'm going through all of this myself moving back to CA. Amazing how things have changed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: