U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,135,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertwiz View Post
Hello,

Of all the beaches in California, which one in Los Angeles would be most similar to Waikkii beach in Hawaii in terms of

1. Relatively warm water.

2. Gentle waves hitting the shore for boogie boarding or body surfing.

I know that most beaches in California have cold water, but are there any beaches in Los Angeles or San Diego where the water gets relatively warm during at any time during the year.

Thanks

LOL. Comparing Hawaii to SoCal. Hawaii's bad surf days are our good surf days.

San Diego is a better choice than LA if you want clear water which is what you are use too. I remember going to places where I can actually see the sand while in the water and coming back here and I was disgusted. I got use to it again after a while but you will be grossed the FUUUCCCCKKKK out.

I'd post in the San Diego forum for better advice on this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 05:52 PM

983 posts, read 843,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
LOL. Comparing Hawaii to SoCal. Hawaii's bad surf days are our good surf days.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:58 PM

14,141 posts, read 14,860,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Most of the year you will need a wetsuit in Ca. But a Spring Suit (short arms/legs) is fine for ~ 4 months out of the year.
If you're a wuss.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:40 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,342,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertwiz View Post
Hello,

Of all the beaches in California, which one in Los Angeles would be most similar to Waikkii beach in Hawaii in terms of

1. Relatively warm water.

2. Gentle waves hitting the shore for boogie boarding or body surfing.

I know that most beaches in California have cold water, but are there any beaches in Los Angeles or San Diego where the water gets relatively warm during at any time during the year.

Thanks
None of the beaches in California are really comparable to Waikiki Beach in terms of warm water and gentle waves. However, in the 1920s and 1930s, sand from Manhattan Beach was shipped to Waikiki Beach to deal with erosion. Unfortunately, Waikiki Beach still has an erosion problem.
Waikiki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 PM

14,141 posts, read 14,860,698 times
Closest I can think of would be Doheny. It has a fairly long and gentle break due to shallow conditions way offshore with the marina jetty on one side that causes the water to sit in one place and warm up. However, its rockiness is not Waikiki-like.

We used to think the water off San Onofre was warmer from the nuclear plant but that was probably just in our heads.

You really don't need a wetsuit unless your surfing and out of the water sitting on your board much of the time or out in the early morning. Once you stay in for a while swimming, wading, or body surfing from mid-day on you get pretty used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California