U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Are you in favor of motorcycle noise regulation?
Yes 39 72.22%
No 15 27.78%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:06 PM

3,162 posts, read 4,684,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
LOL there are already laws agians't modified exhaust for all vehicles, why put another law in the books when they can enforce the ones that are already in place. the way I read it is it will only affect bikes being sold in and after 2013, that makes no sense.
This.

Enforcing current vehicle code could do away with the issue already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
who cares?
Really, Brad? I know you're on a quest for post count, but if you don't care, at least present an argument for your point of view.

Posting "who cares" is a waste of time and not useful to discussion.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Status: "how many braincells did drugs take from you today?" (set 28 days ago)

570 posts, read 1,225,868 times
This was a regular citation for me.... but less so than the amplified music duckett... In L.A it is easy to write one per shift of those..as I did for headphones

The reasoning is sound... driving is a dangerous activity.. operating a motorcycle even more so.. and when your senses are disturbed either as an operator... or as the observer it is one more thing the brain has to contend with...

Gosh.. here in California do we really need any more impinged drivers who dont have ALL their senses to draw upon to prevent an accident...

I always think about the single motor vehicle accident in Malibu that I handled of a beautiful young woman who while driving her VW ran off PCH at Corral Canyon, down a 30 foot embankment killing herself in the process. During initial rescue I noted she was wearing headphones and had been applying lipstick... how did I know this?... the lipstick tube was embedded 3 inches into her nasal cavity...

A poignant example of divided attention while operating a vehicle

As stated earlier we have a vehicle code section for modified exhaust... let those who feel the need to make noise do so on a track. To me the rumble on a public roadway I hear of a modified exhaust only amplifies the stupidity of the driver.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 PM

9,679 posts, read 10,968,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
This.

Enforcing current vehicle code could do away with the issue already.
The strange thing about this is it for motorcycles, Those piped up honda cars and such are not included, hmmm makes you think we are being singled out. back in the 70's I got several tickets for modified exhaust on my bikes but they were giving them to all loud vehicles so i vote no I'm not for it unless everyones in on it.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:56 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,903,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
The strange thing about this is it for motorcycles, Those piped up honda cars and such are not included, hmmm makes you think we are being singled out. back in the 70's I got several tickets for modified exhaust on my bikes but they were giving them to all loud vehicles so i vote no I'm not for it unless everyones in on it.
In the late '90's our daughter got 2 tickets for loud exhaust on her 'piped up' Civic. And it wasn't nearly as loud as most Harleys. In 2003 I was told by an officer that any mods to an exhaust system, even a different tip, can generate a ticket. I don't see that being enforced much on cars or bikes. I agree that noise should be regulated, whether it's exhaust or audio system. But if the noise is manageable and it passes smog, than it should be all good

Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
In 2003 I was told by an officer that any mods to an exhaust system, even a different tip, can generate a ticket.
That, in and of itself, isn't enough for a cite. You can read up on 27150, 27151 and 27200 CVC.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,903,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
That, in and of itself, isn't enough for a cite. You can read up on 27150, 27151 and 27200 CVC.
The officer's warning did not sink in. I went and modded my exhaust anyways

Old 09-02-2010, 03:44 PM

2,689 posts, read 4,510,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I don't know about new legislation, whether this is the way to go or not, but I do hate it when I'm staying at a hotel and have finally fallen asleep (hard to sleep someplace other than my own bed) and a super loud motorcycle drives by and wakes me up. Not only that, but I can hear it for like a mile down the road!

Same can be said about cars... and those with booming radios. Very discriminating to single out one type of motorized vehicle and turn your back on all the others. But it doesn't matter, as the majority drives and doesn't ride so really, it isn't going to affect them so they take the "I don't care" attitude along with the "fine 'em all" attitude.

I find this funny: " a 27-year-old federal regulation that is rarely enforced." So the State is eager to generate $$ by enforcing a federal regulation.. but they won't enforce federal LAW. Cuz it doesn't generate $$$.

Laughable Cali, really.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM

15,238 posts, read 25,551,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Same can be said about cars... and those with booming radios. Very discriminating to single out one type of motorized vehicle and turn your back on all the others. But it doesn't matter, as the majority drives and doesn't ride so really, it isn't going to affect them so they take the "I don't care" attitude along with the "fine 'em all" attitude.

I find this funny: " a 27-year-old federal regulation that is rarely enforced." So the State is eager to generate $$ by enforcing a federal regulation.. but they won't enforce federal LAW. Cuz it doesn't generate $$$.

Laughable Cali, really.
I'm not singling out motorcycles, the topic of this discussion just so happens to be motorcycles. I'm all for getting rid of the loud exhaust on cars (those pesky rice burners!) and thjose who feel they need to share their crappy music with everyone within a 1 mile radius. When I pull up next to somebody blasting their music so loud that everyone in the vicinity can hear it, I just think that person is a total moron. They just look stupid to me.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:07 PM

10,525 posts, read 14,038,314 times
BOOM BOOM BOOMBOOMBOOM BOOM BOOM BOOMBOOMBOOM BOOM BOOM BOOMBOOMBOOM

Now that is a sound that I can't stand. Fail to see how a big old base that shakes the car and those around that car is cool. Many times it is more of a rattling sound like some part of the car is loose inside.

I don't care how loud your car is as long as it doesn't bother me, or if your "music" is loud it doesn't keep me from hearing my music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California