U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:40 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,789,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
FresnoFacts ~

Do you know if the Basque Hotel Restaurant is still good? It was g-r-e-a-t when I lived there a few decades ago.
I have not eaten at Basque Hotel in ages, too many other places on my dining rotation.

Central Fish Company not far from it is still good for things like sushi and other items and nearby Full Circle Brewing is a nice weekend microbrewery/winery with live music. They make an agave wine for the tequila lovers. The Cosmo Bar a couple of blocks away expanded a few years ago because their lunch business was doing well.

That Chinatown area can still look sketchy if you are not familiar with it but there are a few spots worth a stop once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
That Fruit Trail is looking good. I'm going to visit next time I'm up there.
Its what we did yesterday. We took a drive out toward the foothills, up into Wonder Valley then went by a couple of wineries.

After that we picked up some fruit at Centerville Fruit Station right on Highway 180. Got some nice August peaches, Fuji apples, and sweet corn to enjoy this week.

Next time we will probably stop at a different stand on the trail and see what they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 10:10 PM

8,040 posts, read 7,878,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Its what we did yesterday. We took a drive out toward the foothills, up into Wonder Valley then went by a couple of wineries.

After that we picked up some fruit at Centerville Fruit Station right on Highway 180. Got some nice August peaches, Fuji apples, and sweet corn to enjoy this week.

Next time we will probably stop at a different stand on the trail and see what they have.
When we go to Central Valley (as we're about to do this coming Friday), I like to pull over and pluck a pomegranate off a tree.

When my bother raised cotton I would pluck a few stalks and take home and have people show their kids what their clothes are made from. But, like many others, it's corn now instead. I sure miss the cotton.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 AM

1,986 posts, read 2,311,156 times
Quote:
You guys are lucky. On my last visit to the Bay Area, some friends and I stopped at a couple of fruit stores off The 5 in the Central Valley and I bought like $65 worth of fruit. The whole backseat was full of fruit but it was worth it.

I've heard Apple Annies, off the 99, is a good place but I don't know if it's just a restaurant now.

Last edited by Jay100; 09-07-2010 at 09:59 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 11:47 AM

1,687 posts, read 3,789,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I've heard Apple Annies, off the 99, is a good place but I don't know if it's just a restaurant now.
Apple Annies in Tulare is just a restaurant.

There are several easy stops off 99 to get some farm fresh products. Here are a couple:

Simonian Farms is about 4 miles east of 99, take the Jensen exit. They carry a nice selection of fresh and dried fruits and other products.
Simonian Farms, Gourmet Dried Fruit, Nuts, Raisins, and Almonds Since 1901

Gourmet cheese can be picked up at Bravo Farms right off 99 in Traver (between Goshen (the Visalia/198 exit) and Kingsburg). Their store looks a little "cheesy" done up in an old west exterior but worth the stop. Bravo's Silver Mountain Aged Cheesecloth Cheddar just won again at the American Cheese Association competition and their Bravo Bl'u won in the veined blue cheese category.
Bravo Farms Cheese Factory
California holds its own in cheese competition

Old 09-07-2010, 12:33 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,111,418 times
Quote:

Gourmet cheese can be picked up at Bravo Farms right off 99 in Traver (between Goshen (the Visalia/198 exit) and Kingsburg). Their store looks a little "cheesy" done up in an old west exterior but worth the stop. Bravo's Silver Mountain Aged Cheesecloth Cheddar just won again at the American Cheese Association competition and their Bravo Bl'u won in the veined blue cheese category.
Bravo Farms Cheese Factory
California holds its own in cheese competition
You know, I've always driven/zoomed by this place and wondered what the hell it was. I need to go, I love cheese, though it's kinda pricey. :\

Since we're in the SJV area, you guys know of any good Mexican food or sushi in Visalia? I'm dying for sushi! Another thing I miss about SoCal is this place http://sushiboy.net/

Old 03-13-2011, 01:21 AM

315 posts, read 174,965 times
The Chicken Pie Shop and Irene's in the Tower District are both pretty tasty. I think almost everything in Tower is, actually.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:48 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,742,657 times
When I lived there and worked downtown I ate at George's Shish Kebab about twice a month. I love their shish kebab sandwiches and rice pilaf. Armenian food rocks - prefer it to Greek. Another of my regular haunts was the Chicken Pie Shop that another poster mentioned. Nice comfort food in a kitchsy old retro restaurant with waitresses that have been there for decades. One more of my favorite lunch spots was El Taco Rapido on Tulare St. Awesome (and cheap) authentic tacos.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:57 AM

240 posts, read 294,371 times
If you like teppanyaki, nothing beats Tokyo Steak House and their fried rice is to die for! If your looking for some lao/thai food, The Million Elephant in tower district is also really good.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:16 AM

2,674 posts, read 3,060,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
So I'm gonna relocate to Fresno (much, much better job: take that you Central Valley Haters) and I am interested in the local haunts to eat.

If possible places within the city, AND places commutable for a special dinner or lunch... including Madera, Hanford, Visalia, up in the Hills.

"Hole in the walls", upscale, Mexican, BBQ, Indian, (I've heard there is a really good one in Clovis), Chinese...

Suggestions?
In Fresno? Applebees

Old 03-16-2011, 12:23 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,618,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
In Fresno? Applebees
Wrong. Fresno has tons of reasonably priced good independent restaurants - especially ethnic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California