U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 01:42 AM

3,797 posts, read 4,346,289 times

Advertisements

I married a california native and he is a sweetheart... wait now that I think of it he was a jerk when I dated him. But after a few years of training he behaves very well now.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:25 PM

142 posts, read 357,223 times
I have lived in California my whole life. Maybe most areas of Calif. is just one big rat race. I have gone to the midwest on business a few times, and have noticed a friendlier environment there. Maybe that has something to do with it??

Old 07-07-2007, 01:45 PM

175 posts, read 584,977 times
The whole of CA is such a mixed bag that I think it is unwise to generalise an entire state - however the 3 places I have lived in CA - the first being the Bay Area - I met some very nice Europeans that had settled there - don't think I met a single native Californian while there but there must have been some I guess - (I'm British btw) - this is what makes the Bay Area attractive for me anyway- the diversity. Anyway, moved to Sacramento, specifically, Rocklin and then Lincoln and oh boy! What a difference - I guess I really did experience CA living here - the genuine natives where hard to get to know IMO - little to no sense of humour - zero conversational ability - all they could comment on was how many MORE kids I was going to have etc etc...WOW!! I thought - gosh, people are so shallow and yet wholesome in a way and naive too. It definitely had it's good aspects too - I would rather live in a Bible - type belt place than one where the people are in gangs shooting eachother!!!LOL - anyway, after living there for afew years, hubby's job took us to the LA area and this is where we experienced people who on the whole where pretty nice and accepting - but also like I said before, gang problems - we were in Lancaster, the high desert - shootings on street corners in broad daylight where commmon - place...anyway, suffice to say that We are relocating again this time out of state to Minnesota and I'll keep you all posted on what the general populace is like - LOL....))

Old 07-07-2007, 03:08 PM

18,444 posts, read 16,366,418 times
There are friendly and rude people in every city.
Here is a letter printed by the Daily News (San Fernando Valley), Aug. 14, 2005:
"I just returned from Kansas, where people ask, "How can you live in Los Angeles?" I'll tell you how.

Yesterday our dog was hit and killed by a truck. The driver stopped to help him and so did four other people. One person called a pet ambulance, another called the number on my dog's tag, and one caught our other dog, who was with him.

When I got there and was completely distraught, a wonderful lady followed me home to make sure I was safe. There were five people on Tampa Avenue on Aug. 11 who made a big difference in my life and our dog's final moments. Thank you to all of them."

-Carrie De Young
Northridge

Old 07-09-2007, 12:07 PM

128 posts, read 431,622 times
Default Deserves 2 Cents

Hey, I had to reply to this because we talk about this "snooty" "snobby" thing a lot as well out here in SLO county.

People all over here complain about the "snooty" Santa Barbara people, La Jolla people, L.A. Bev Hills people.

But the funny thing is....it's worse here. It's reverse snobbism here. Everyone is jealous, I think. And it's class warfare. It's a joke.

Snobbery is everywhere. Or it is perceived everywhere. Lots of times, it's more your own defensive projection on to others than it is really snobbism at all.

I ignore it all. Guess what? If you feel less than, everyone you meet will be obliged to prove you are right.......you are.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:45 PM

9 posts, read 18,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
I've dated a few guys that live here, that came from California and they were just flat out rude and mean. And 1 was so damn snobby I just wanted to slap the s*** out of him!! Why is that?? Why do you guys have to act like that??

I'm not trying to offend anyone and I'm not mad or anything. I'm just damn curious about you folks.
It's not only the guys from California. It is females from there also. We live in Montana and we got a lady next door to us that just moved from California. She is VERY rude! There are other people from California that I have met and they seem to be rude and snobby also.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:55 PM

7,173 posts, read 18,615,442 times
I'm sorry this thread is just ridiculous.

California is a big state with millions of people. Some will be nice, some will be jerks. Avoid the jerks. The end.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:09 PM

36 posts, read 146,859 times
I have lived in Santa Barbara since I was 5 and I am amazed at the attitudes some folks have. I have had people on introduction literally look me up and down in the rudest way as if they were trying to establish them self as the boss.
I have been waiting in line in banks or the coffeeshop and had people just walk to the head of the line as if they were above all others and that was their due.
I think a lot of it is that we have a very image oriented society and lots of sheeple watch the tube and think if they are snarky, rude, and act like a little princess then that will make them better than others.
Years ago it sure as heck was not like this, I remember going to parties in Monteceto mansions that could hold my house in their front room and everybody was just plain folks, but now folks have an image in their tiny minds where being humble and plain is low and being an obnoxious jerk (or jerkette) is cool.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:19 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,967,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I'm sorry this thread is just ridiculous.

California is a big state with millions of people. Some will be nice, some will be jerks. Avoid the jerks. The end.
Well said Sass!!

Old 07-09-2007, 09:49 PM

508 posts, read 895,201 times
No offense but what a stupid thread! Let's just take a small sample size, make some CONCLUSIONS whether it be good/bad and apply it to entire populations for everything on earth.

Sharks bite from time to time so all sharks must be human killers

My girlfriend can't drive so all women can't drive

I met one person from Colorado and he was weird so everyone in Colorado is weird

Kind of ridiculous don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California