U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 04:32 PM

128 posts, read 573,142 times

Advertisements

Jack Sparrow has it right...........those who are the richest are always the ones who are soooooo sure that money can't buy happiness, and those who are the prettiest will tell you emphatically that looks aren't everything.

Californians are no worse than anyone back East, Midwest, or anywhere else when it comes to judging people by appearance.

Take a look at any studies, back even 50 years ago, and there are plenty, if you've ever taken a psych class. They all say the same thing. That we recognize pretty/handsome by the time we're 3. At a mere 4 years old, a child will repel the photo of the "homely" little girl, and will "smile" at the photo of the pretty little girl.

The good looking ones get the better jobs, boyfriends and special help.

So, if you think it's bad now, just wait until you're over 50.
Then, even the beautiful women get to be ignored, stepped in front of, and dismissed without so much as a glance.

No smiles will be returned. No breezy conversation will be initiated in the grocery store lines. No offers to help, but instead growls, and frowns that you may have gotten in the way of their path by dropping your bag in front of where they are supposed to be going.

It's cold out there. Be Ready. That's why it's so hard for those gorgeous starlets to age. If you're used to being treated like a princess all your life because of your looks, and suddenly you've turned into a Frog................well, it's tough to take. Tougher than if you're used to it because you weren't exactly lucky in the Gene department from the get go.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:08 AM

20 posts, read 82,578 times
Default Leana76

I have to agree with Leana76, many Californians are rather rude. However, I firmly believe the rudest area of the country stretchs from Philadelphia up through the Boston area. The people in the northeast US can be incredibly rude! I don't like the northeast US at all, because the people are rude, snobby, and have a serious superiority complex. Certain rural areas of California have nice people, but most of the population lives in the big cities. L.A. and San Fran. are definitely cities that are not known for their hospitality.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:07 AM

22,381 posts, read 27,568,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Hey Charles,
First off (to everyone) I apologize for being a prick in my own way on this posting, my pity party, and playing the victim. I'm just trying to calm down after being in So Cal for so long.

Being in eastern Iowa is the best thing for me. I just look out my back window over miles of cornfields (not miles of track homes) and take a deep cool breath. AHHHH.

But I will not deny the crap I went through and other people I knew had similar experiences too not just me.

I wasn't going to make the move to Iowa unless they had:
1) A Guitar Center store
2) A Starbucks (not 9, just 1)
3) A local mall
4) A few nice restaurants (Osaka, Outback, Bennigans, Chilies, Panera Bread, etc)
5) Quick access to real hunting and fishing. I'm from Arvada Colorado and used to do all of that fun stuff in Steamboat.

They had all of the above and more. I didn't care too much about the lack of Pro Sports in Iowa; I was born and raised in Denver by parents that were Broncos fans, I am a Broncos fan, and I will always be a Broncos fan, and so will my kids. I actually tried moving back to Colorado before but there wasn't any available work at the time.

In So Cal, I never did go to the beach all that much because I was so busy working just to meet the over inflated mortgage/cost of living and that's when I lived in a not-so-nice home 90 minutes inland from San Diego, had three degrees, and worked as an Aerospace Engineer! Itís just the home prices, including inland like mine, started to get just as expensive as the homes in San Diego and that was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

I guess if living in a rich state with great weather is #1 for you and your family (even over seeing your kids or wife on a regular basis), then So Cal is for you (unless you are independently wealthy then that's great!). It's not for everyone, but it's for some people. But I have to say I know SO many families leaving So Cal for places like Montana, Idaho, or Iowa because both mom and dad work and kids are raised by someone else - it's not even a real family - it's a pseudo-family. It's sad really and I was in that same boat but I realized that true happiness doesn't come from living in So Cal. So Cal is cool and all but not when a father and mother put living in SoCal over their own relationship with themselves or their kids. That's another reason I left because I was divorced from my family (figuratively speaking) and married to the demands of a Southern California lifestyle.
The reason you see and experience almost getting hit in intersections, near collisions while driving, are run into oncoming traffic, witness multiple pull over & fight scenes on the side of the road and take note of the latest traffic congestion polls is because of the millions of people who moved to California during the last 30 or 40 years.

If 20 million people moved to Iowa, you would see a lot of the above happening there, too.
It was much different in So Cal. during the '40s-'60s. A lot more open areas in the S.F. valley and nowhere near the crowds or traffic you see today.

One of my hobbies is to go biking and watch the traffic, usually at intersections. I've been doing that off and on for 30 years and have not once seen a "pull over and fight scene" between drivers. Not once.

Actually, my biggest dislike is not the traffic (but I did like it much better in the '60s and '70s) or the overdevelopment or the crowds, but the low amount of yearly rainfall. It averages 15" per season and last season was only 3.21", an all-time record low. If I could change one thing, it would be to increase the seasonal precipitation to 25-30".

And don't think there are none (or very few) friendly people out here. This letter was printed in the L.A. Daily News on Aug. 14, 2005.
"I just returned from Kansas where people ask, 'How can you live in Los Angeles?' I'll tell you how.
Yesterday, our dog was hit and killed by a truck. The driver stopped to help him and so did four other people. One person called a pet ambulance, another called the number on my dog's tag, and one caught our other dog, who was with him.
When I got there and was extremely distraught, a wonderful lady followed me home to make sure I was safe. There were five people on Tampa Ave. on Aug. 11 who made a big difference in my life and our dog's final moments. Thank you to all of them."

- Carrie De Young
Northridge

I also remember another letter was which printed (which I can't find) about two Canadian tourists whose rented car broke down on one of the freeways (yes, the freeways where some people drive 90 mph). Several other motorists pull over and offered to help them.

So, there still are some friendly people in California (yes, even in L.A.); maybe all of the friendly ones moved to here from Iowa?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:17 AM

871 posts, read 1,786,304 times
I hate to tell ya but I am the very last friendly Californian.

Im moving to Missouri.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:58 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,371,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
I hate to tell ya but I am the very last friendly Californian.

Im moving to Missouri.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I guess we're outta luck then.

Come back!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding...all the best of luck in Missouri and I hope you have a long and happy life there.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:11 PM

Thanks, I hope so too. I just need to wear weights on my ankles so the tornados wont take me away.

Can I ask what and oobie doobie is?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:43 PM

791 posts, read 2,692,965 times
Lightbulb Attitudes in CA not all bad

California is just like anywhere else there is nice and not so nice people.
I grew up in CA and lived in two areas 3 hours apart and they were like night and day. The town I grew up in is full of jerks and nobody appears to have any manners. On the other hand the town I moved 3 hours north to had very nice down to earth people for the most part. So you can't really talk about an entire state having the same attitude, especially one the size of CA.
I am sure the people in San Fransisco are a little different than those in Redding.
I also have experienced some super rude and unfriendly people in a small town in Idaho where you would think everyone would be a little nicer.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:10 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,371,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
Thanks, I hope so too. I just need to wear weights on my ankles so the tornados wont take me away.

Can I ask what and oobie doobie is?
Okay...I had sent you the answer on rep points but I typed quickly and it may not have made sense. "Oobie doobie" came from the Religion forum. People were back and forth arguing about the soul and I guess somebody got snotty about the word "soul" itself. So another poster answered, "Okay, call it 'the soul,' call it 'the Force', call it 'the Oobie Doobie' for all I care..." I don't know why, but I died laughing...and I stole the phrase.

As for tornadoes, get you a storm cellar, boy!!!

Redwhiteblue, I have heard the same thing. In fact, I've had a lot of people tell me I should take my granola crunchy self north. I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to be insulted or flattered!!

Old 08-22-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Okay...I had sent you the answer on rep points but I typed quickly and it may not have made sense. "Oobie doobie" came from the Religion forum. People were back and forth arguing about the soul and I guess somebody got snotty about the word "soul" itself. So another poster answered, "Okay, call it 'the soul,' call it 'the Force', call it 'the Oobie Doobie' for all I care..." I don't know why, but I died laughing...and I stole the phrase.

As for tornadoes, get you a storm cellar, boy!!!

Redwhiteblue, I have heard the same thing. In fact, I've had a lot of people tell me I should take my granola crunchy self north. I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to be insulted or flattered!!
Jerz you are so funny!! LOL You could honestly be a member of my family with that wacky sense of humor. You know how you can be driving down the street and something catches you funny. I dont even have to say one word. My brothers and I will just start rollin. Granola crunchy, Thats funny stuff. By the way im a gal. Its o.k the name gives no clue, I know. Its the name of my husbands and I wanna be quad racing team. Yep bent us a lotta axles. Its all good.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:13 AM

22 posts, read 72,186 times
Dear Malcom and Charles,
I am sure sorry you had to move to feel cared about and appreciated but you two did not have the pleasure of knowing the very dear people that I have had the joy of knowing and that is very sad indeed. My prayer for you both is the very richest lives filled with wonderful folks that will always make you feel at home, always. Best to you and yours!!!
Denise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or