U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-05-2010, 09:48 AM

7,413 posts, read 3,208,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
Tobacco and Alcohol are way worse for you then weed is. Yes, you can drive while drunk or high on weed, but with alcohol, it kills your liver, and you drink too much and your toast. Tobacco gives you cancer and yellow teeth. nuff said'
Totally agree. Comparing marijuana to alcohol is like peashooter versus a gun. Weed is not addictive, people who get high basically just sit around listening to music or eating and acting silly. Alcohol, on the other hand, is highly addictive, it causes many medical problems, it impairs judgment and can make people very aggressive. Tobacco is also addictive and deadly to the lungs. If marijuana was the only substance people used to get high then our world would be much safer and healthier.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 10:06 AM

12,392 posts, read 10,377,534 times
I also agree that it could go either way. Personally, I'm in the Fontucky camp, I think it should be passed even though I don't use it. I couldn't if I wanted to do to the jobs I tend to have.

I do live in a house with a pot smoker who just finished medical billing school with straight A's and is generally a quite productive person as he also works 2 jobs. At times pot smokers can be hard to pick out. Alcohol on the other hand as mentioned can be far more destructive.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:13 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,179,612 times
Just because most of us think pot isn't a big deal, there are still some big reasons to oppose Prop. 19. The prospect of losing federal contracts for California companies due to being unable to guarantee a drug free workplace is almost reason enough to vote this down.

The real change needs to happen at the federal level.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:51 AM

25,290 posts, read 16,196,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Just because most of us think pot isn't a big deal, there are still some big reasons to oppose Prop. 19. The prospect of losing federal contracts for California companies due to being unable to guarantee a drug free workplace is almost reason enough to vote this down.

The real change needs to happen at the federal level.
Nobody can guarentee drug free workplaces now.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:31 PM

4,815 posts, read 5,465,735 times
I'm really excited about this prop! Way more than prop 8 because this one actually affects me! I will smoke it if it becomes legal.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:15 PM

YouTube - CA NAACP Chief: I Won't Resign Over Prop. 19

Old 09-05-2010, 01:24 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,661,431 times
Di Fi says no no no. The queen of war profiteering must be making money off of the war on drugs, too.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:43 PM

5,375 posts, read 6,865,577 times
I see no connection between marijuana and gay marriage, nor between those who are likely to support or oppose either.

Let's us not forget that no matter what California does marijuana is still a federally banned illegal drug. California can remove state penalties for its use but I see no way for CA voters to make the federal government go along.

I think it would be interesting to see the measure pass just because it would be interesting to see what happens next, etc. I have no personal stake in the issue since I will likely be leaving the state before anything can take effect. I'll be just as interested to follow the news from another state. And that state is not likely to be "stoned."

I think it's inevitable that marijuana will ultimately be legalized, not because it should be legalized but because so many people seem to want it to be legalized. We are probably at present the closest we've ever been to legal pot. However something still needs to happen at the national level for it to really become legal, even if the measure passes.

I haven't completely decided which way to vote but I think I'll vote for it, just to see the interesting news coverage that will result.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:01 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,208,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I see no connection between marijuana and gay marriage, nor between those who are likely to support or oppose either.

Let's us not forget that no matter what California does marijuana is still a federally banned illegal drug. California can remove state penalties for its use but I see no way for CA voters to make the federal government go along.

I think it would be interesting to see the measure pass just because it would be interesting to see what happens next, etc. I have no personal stake in the issue since I will likely be leaving the state before anything can take effect. I'll be just as interested to follow the news from another state. And that state is not likely to be "stoned."

I think it's inevitable that marijuana will ultimately be legalized, not because it should be legalized but because so many people seem to want it to be legalized. We are probably at present the closest we've ever been to legal pot. However something still needs to happen at the national level for it to really become legal, even if the measure passes.

I haven't completely decided which way to vote but I think I'll vote for it, just to see the interesting news coverage that will result.
"And that state is not likely to be "stoned." You must be moving to Utah!

The issue of federal interference has been raised and one of the reasons people like Senator Feinstein is opposed. Other politicians have expressed embarrassment that the voters may OK legalizing marijuana and California will become the drug capital of the U.S. [i.e. people will take vacations here just to smoke weed]. I think so long as the state gets its fair share of tax profits that it will be a good decision. We need the money!

Old 09-05-2010, 02:17 PM

Hey, it might be good if people came here to smoke weed from other places! More money for our state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California