U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:59 PM

1,504 posts, read 3,727,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Even though the train was traveling at 99 miles an hour, the beacon headlight can be seen from over a mile away and even the tracks themselves,
There is a curve in the tracks about 2000 feet from their location. She may have only had 20 seconds from the moment she could see the locomotive to the moment it hit them.

Quote:
SO..... if they did fall asleep between 4AM and 4:30AM on the tracks, at the very least Metrolink #601 should have hit them at roughly 5:25AM, 35 minutes BEFORE they actually got hit. So... unless they crawled down at 5:30AM, she is either lying or very forgetful about what time it was.
I see on the map that there are two parallel train tracks at that location, maybe the #601 took the different track? It should have woken them, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 12:02 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,391,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
There is a curve in the tracks about 2000 feet from their location. She may have only had 20 seconds from the moment she could see the locomotive to the moment it hit them.

I see on the map that there are two parallel train tracks at that location, maybe the #601 took the different track? It should have woken them, though...
I wish I coulda been there...

Old 09-11-2010, 12:04 AM

7,413 posts, read 3,515,867 times
I don't think it is disrespectful to comment on this tragedy; it is puzzling and frustrating. For 3 people to decide to sleep on an active train line just doesn't make sense unless they were totally out of it yet initial reports suggest they were not drunk. That's why posters are accusing them of being idiots and it is idiotic to sleep on an Amtrak railroad track.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:12 AM

4,815 posts, read 5,706,815 times
I love this 20/20 CSI stuff going on in this thread! lol! I think one of the earlier poster's suicide theory actually makes more sense then they were just being stupid and sleeping on active tracks. Even if the tracks had a curve, you should still be able to hear it coming. I think the girl who survived IF it was suicide did bail at the last minute hence the minor injuries. Now others are accusing her of just leaving them on the track, but I think she just panicked. it happens to all of us, when something out of the ordinary and scary happens, we freeze and time seems to just stop. Those few seconds you spend frozen trying to figure out what to do is what counts. I believe that she panicked and before she could do anything it was too late.

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 09-11-2010 at 12:20 AM..

Old 09-11-2010, 12:16 AM

2,498 posts, read 7,612,364 times
Quote:
Well if they hypothetically did go on different tracks, then how on earth did the train conductor of Metrolink 601 not notice 3 people sleeping on the tracks. AND these 3 people didn't wake up as a huge train barreled through right next to them. Highly unlikely the train operator or the sleeping people didn't notice.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:16 AM

7,955 posts, read 7,131,001 times
What's the expression? You can't fix stupid. ... but a train certainly will contribute to the survival of the fittest.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:52 AM

3,601 posts, read 2,569,849 times
Quote:

The two tracks are probably for trains going in different directions. That's usually why there are two tracks.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:03 AM

5,375 posts, read 7,184,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
The story is not normal and I understand the curiosity, BUT why don't we respect the dead and also especially their families. I can't imagine what their families and friends are going through. Reading some of the comments here or on the LA times site could be hurtful. I pray for the families, this is a big tragedy for them...
If you don't like it then don't read it. Applies to everybody.

After posting my comment above I heard the story covered on KABC TV, and they stated that drugs and alcohol had been ruled out by authorities.

That puzzles me. If it wasn't drugs or alcohol then about all that's left is terminal stupidity.

I suppose foul play could be possible, like if they were tied up or something, but there are apparently no indications of this.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:31 PM

37,792 posts, read 12,193,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The morning 2 people were killed and their companion seriously injured when they were run over by a Metro train in south Orange County. All 3 [a man & 2 women] were young and had been drinking the night before. According to the surviving woman they did not have a suicide pact or intent to hurt themselves yet fell asleep on the train track and could not escape the 90mph train. How lame can a person be to go to sleep on railroad tracks?

Drugs, drinking popular at park near Metrolink tracks where teens were killed, neighbor says | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times
What's even weirder as someone who posted a comment on one of the LA Times article noted is that they were not even hit by the first train of the morning .... Something's strange about this whole deal ...

Old 09-11-2010, 06:43 PM

37,792 posts, read 12,193,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Well if they hypothetically did go on different tracks, then how on earth did the train conductor of Metrolink 601 not notice 3 people sleeping on the tracks. AND these 3 people didn't wake up as a huge train barreled through right next to them. Highly unlikely the train operator or the sleeping people didn't notice.
I agree .... When I'm ON the train, I can usually feel the vibrations as the train passes us on the other track ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California