Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:06 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,017,733 times

Advertisements

Seasons. I mean TRUE seasons.

I just had a rather spirited discussion with some co-workers who swore up and down that they just are obsessed with California weather. I informed them that if it weren't for the job market being superior here I'd be elsewhere for sure - somewhere where the summer temperature never exceeded 80 degrees or thereabouts. Somewhere that had a full four seasons that I could plan on and count on. My biggest problem with California's non-season is that Californians get stupid on the roads when it's anything but sunny skies.

Fog: They go too slow.
Rain: They go too fast.

It irritates me and one of the co-workers actually ridiculed me for letting it bother me so much. The rain is the bigger problem. When we had that really bad storm some time ago I actually witnessed cars hydroplaning, tons of accidents all over the place because people were not slowing down. That then screws up traffic (besides the obvious injuries inflicted on others). How is that not supposed to bother me?

The other co-worker proceeded to tell me that he hates Michigan because during the snow seasons you have to stay inside. Err?

I swear - if I could telecommute and live anywhere else I would do it in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 08:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Something about a picture and a thousand words comes to mind...Colorado:

Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Something about a picture and a thousand words comes to mind...Colorado:
Nice picture. However I would not consider CO as a state with full four seasons. To my knowledge their spring is not rainy.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 PM

514 posts, read 686,421 times
Not true at all. You are forgetting that in a state a thousand miles long and three hundred miles wide with elevations from -283 to +14,505 and an average elevation higher than the high points in most states east of the the 100th Meridian, there are great differences in climate. Anywhere in California above 4,000 feet has four seasons. Now, you can say that the metro areas do not have distinct seasons and, you are right, but you cannot generalize that out to the State of California.

Where I lived for 40 years in California had clear warm sunny summers with Thunder storms. Cold crisp clear (between storms) Autumn with brilliant fall foliage. Serious winters with up to 15 feet of snow, and temperatures down to -35, and wet rainy and snowy springs. No one planted their gardens until Memorial Day due to the danger of Frost, once again, in California.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
Not true at all. You are forgetting that in a state a thousand miles long and three hundred miles wide with elevations from -283 to +14,505 and an average elevation higher than the high points in most states east of the the 100th Meridian, there are great differences in climate. Anywhere in California above 4,000 feet has four seasons. Now, you can say that the metro areas do not have distinct seasons and, you are right, but you cannot generalize that out to the State of California.

Where I lived for 40 years in California had clear warm sunny summers with Thunder storms. Cold crisp clear (between storms) Autumn with brilliant fall foliage. Serious winters with up to 15 feet of snow, and temperatures down to -35, and wet rainy and snowy springs. No one planted their gardens until Memorial Day due to the danger of Frost, once again, in California.
Since people most commonly live in metro areas I find that a solid measuring stick.

New Hampshire, Chicago, Cleveland, those are true "four seasons". Look at this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/5081532-post8.html

THAT is what I'm talking about.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I informed them that if it weren't for the job market being superior here I'd be elsewhere for sure .
Yeah it's tough to beat the incredible job market there. Our unemployment rate here in Fairfax County, VA is 5% right now. How much lower is it there?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Stop for a minute, this was your statement.
Quote:
California is missing one key thing (and it's often fatal).
Your statement was shown to be highly inaccurate.

Metro areas were not part of your statement, you cannot change the rules just because you worded your statement poorly.

Quote:
somewhere where the summer temperature never exceeded 80 degrees or thereabouts. Somewhere that had a full four seasons that I could plan on and count on
What metro area fits this?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:23 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,501,981 times
I could do without the snow, but I would like to see some real thunderstorms more often. I miss them from Texas...

Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 PM

Here is how you get to have Thunderstorms, go camping in the Sierra, and don't bring a tent, that will insure a gully washer.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yeah it's tough to beat the incredible job market there. Our unemployment rate here in Fairfax County, VA is 5% right now. How much lower is it there?
Nah. We're up in the 10's my friend.