Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:11 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times

Advertisements

Did he say, "Yes, sir" at the end there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 07:15 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Did he say, "Yes, sir" at the end there?

Yes, senator.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:44 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Well, that's your perspective of Texas since you are from Texas. But outside your state many view Texas as pure "Bible-belt" nuts who want "creationism" in textbooks which the state board of education approved and an evangelical governor who claims Jews won't go to heaven, executes mentally retarded people even after the supreme court ruled against [also executed more people than all other states combined], calls creationism legitimate science, does not believe in global warming and is against environmental measures yet Houston has the worst air quality of any American city outside California, thinks Texas should secede from America citing the Civil War as an example, has been named the worst governor in the United States for ethical violations, etc. Hey, you Texans have a huge state full of embarrassing idiots [remember our previous president anyone?].
You continue to make the mistake that the media presentation (or what you choose to read) of news concerning Texas is accurate. Worst governor? He has a big mouth and stupid things come out of it. But he doesn't have the exclusive on that. I think most would say Illinois and New Jersey have unquestionably had some of the worst governors in recent history - and the indictments to prove it.

Houston doesn't have good air - you're right. But according to the American Lung Association - it ranks #6 in ozone - the top 5 are in California, including cities far smaller. For particle pollution - Houston ranks #16 - and many non-California cities are ahead of Houston. Please get your facts straight.

But this is about California. I don't think California is as Democrat-centric all the time as you say it is. And I think there are many kinds of Republicans in the US - some of which could win state-wide office in California.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:04 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Yes, senator.
Given Boxers ideology, the more accurate form of address could have been Comrade Senator, or Bolshevik Babs.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
LOL as a 100% independant thinking person I can see and say there is nobody worth a nickel in politics in Ca. I feel out with the old and in with the new just because nobody running is good but the old need to go. There should never be such a thing as a career politician they should be rotated out to get new ideas in government, whats needed are people who live by the same means as the average person so they deal with the same situations and the same enviroment as the people they represent.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:55 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You continue to make the mistake that the media presentation (or what you choose to read) of news concerning Texas is accurate. Worst governor? He has a big mouth and stupid things come out of it. But he doesn't have the exclusive on that. I think most would say Illinois and New Jersey have unquestionably had some of the worst governors in recent history - and the indictments to prove it.

Houston doesn't have good air - you're right. But according to the American Lung Association - it ranks #6 in ozone - the top 5 are in California, including cities far smaller. For particle pollution - Houston ranks #16 - and many non-California cities are ahead of Houston. Please get your facts straight.

But this is about California. I don't think California is as Democrat-centric all the time as you say it is. And I think there are many kinds of Republicans in the US - some of which could win state-wide office in California.
What I wrote about Texas is all true & not some media misrepresentation. Can you deny anything I posted about the Texas Board of Education insisting that high school textbooks include "intelligent design" or that governor Perry is other than what I stated from direct Internet info on him? And you may not be aware why California has problems with air pollution when it is the most restrictive of all states on industrial and auto particulates. Unlike Texas, California is a state of many mountain ranges that parallel the coastline and run right up the spine of the state. On top of that, southern California has mountains that run east\west. Between these mountain ranges are valleys. The wind off the Pacific ocean blows from west to east and any smoke or pollution is pushed up against the mountains and get trapped. Also the winds are generally very light so mixing out the pollution often doesn't happen very well and our climate is dry with virtually no rainfall for 6-8 months out of the year. That is one major reason California is so environmentally conscious because we are aware of how damaging air pollution is to human life and crops. What is Texas' excuse for doing nothing even though Houston is completely flat with no mountains within hundreds of miles?

But you are correct in pointing out that Illinois and New York seems to go thru governor scandals regularly. That doesn't mean that your governor is not corrupt and according to articles, is the most unethical governor in the U.S. [that's pretty bad when one considers that most governors in Illinois seem to end up in prison].

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones! If you want to post about California politics than be prepared to defend Texas [and believe me, that is not an easy thing to do].

Old 09-17-2010, 12:35 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
What I wrote about Texas is all true & not some media misrepresentation. Can you deny anything I posted about the Texas Board of Education insisting that high school textbooks include "intelligent design" or that governor Perry is other than what I stated from direct Internet info on him? And you may not be aware why California has problems with air pollution when it is the most restrictive of all states on industrial and auto particulates. Unlike Texas, California is a state of many mountain ranges that parallel the coastline and run right up the spine of the state. On top of that, southern California has mountains that run east\west. Between these mountain ranges are valleys. The wind off the Pacific ocean blows from west to east and any smoke or pollution is pushed up against the mountains and get trapped. Also the winds are generally very light so mixing out the pollution often doesn't happen very well and our climate is dry with virtually no rainfall for 6-8 months out of the year. That is one major reason California is so environmentally conscious because we are aware of how damaging air pollution is to human life and crops. What is Texas' excuse for doing nothing even though Houston is completely flat with no mountains within hundreds of miles?

But you are correct in pointing out that Illinois and New York seems to go thru governor scandals regularly. That doesn't mean that your governor is not corrupt and according to articles, is the most unethical governor in the U.S. [that's pretty bad when one considers that most governors in Illinois seem to end up in prison].

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones! If you want to post about California politics than be prepared to defend Texas [and believe me, that is not an easy thing to do].
Of course I understand why some areas of California suffer from so much air pollution. Houston's air is better than it was (the data shows that) - in spite of continued population growth. Remember too that Houston is only slightly north of many refineries. The wind in Texas typically blow from the Gulf of Mexico and often carries refinery exhaust with it. Texas has mandatory car inspection EVERY YEAR and in all the major cities that includes a smog inspection. For some reason California doesn't care about auto safety enough to inspect for it - ever.

Could Texas do more about air pollution? Sure. And it will. But we will take a modest approach that balances economic issues against environmental concerns. Texas has 1 million fewer unemployed people than California.

Not many people in Texas are huge Perry fans (including me). But the good slightly outweighs the bad (in my opinion). He firmly resists expanding government - which I value above most issues.

California's recent past shows a different trend - creating more government employees, more people essentially addicted to government services, higher taxes, greater barriers to job creation, wages artificially propped up via unions, and far higher living costs. If I were a California resident - I would vote for politicians that tried to reverse that.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:20 PM

92 posts, read 189,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshoe View Post
given boxers ideology, the more accurate form of address could have been comrade senator, or bolshevik babs.

ita.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:59 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times

YouTube - Sir

Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Boxer is a train wreck. She has devastated the agriculture industry in California with idiotic water policies making the State and Country dependent of imported food which is vulnerable to supply problems and often tainted with e-coli bacteria. Boxer is a perfect example of what is wrong with California, and why the state is in the state of decline that it is. We can no longer afford the incompetent leadership of Barbara Boxer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California