U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2010, 12:14 AM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
12,756 posts, read 10,798,458 times
Reputation: 6088

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
In many ways this can be true. However, in Canada they basically have four population centers, with large and empty expanses between the areas. This makes a bit of a difference in how much each has in common, they lack the transition areas we have in the much higher populated US.

You realize that California may have a greater population than all of Canada (last estimate I saw was pretty close).
True but even in California, there are distinct subcultures. What you say does makes sense as when a population is isolated it drifts from others more so. But I think this is true for at least our west coast as it is largely isolated and the rockies and great basin and sparsely populated as well.

Overall however I don't think Canadians will even be noticed in California unless they start singing O' Canada lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2010, 12:19 AM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,587 posts, read 20,162,906 times
Reputation: 16110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

Overall however I don't think Canadians will even be noticed in California unless they start singing O' Canada lol
Or saying things that include lots of instances of words that rhyme with about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 AM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
12,756 posts, read 10,798,458 times
Reputation: 6088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Or saying things that include lots of instances of words that rhyme with about.
haha true but that could also be someone from Minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 12:25 AM
 
Location: Monterey County, CA
3,697 posts, read 6,977,095 times
Reputation: 3198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Or saying things that include lots of instances of words that rhyme with about.
Or walking around in the middle of Winter with a t-shirt on talking about how warm it is when everyone else is shivering and bundled up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 12:38 AM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,587 posts, read 20,162,906 times
Reputation: 16110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
haha true but that could also be someone from Minnesota
Or even Sidney, Montana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 12:38 AM
 
Location: Escondido, CA
1,504 posts, read 3,668,045 times
Reputation: 815
Californians think that Canadians are unlucky enough to have some of the worst weather in the world, and, at the same time, lucky enough not to have any of the wingnut, bible-thumping, reality-denying politicians the likes of George W., Sarah, Rush, & Glenn.

When a particularly rabid wingnut somehow makes into the runoffs of the national elections, a common sentiment you might hear in the more civilized parts of California is "if XXX gets elected, I'm moving to Canada".

Last edited by esmith143; 09-15-2010 at 01:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 12:41 AM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,587 posts, read 20,162,906 times
Reputation: 16110
Overall, I find Canadians to be pleasant, although that whole "little brother" syndrome they have when it comes to their big brother to the South can get tedious.

I'd never challenge a Canadian to a beer drinking contest, that I do know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 12:51 AM
 
Location: Earth
11,979 posts, read 13,304,977 times
Reputation: 4100
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Californians think that Canadians are unlucky enough to have some of the worst weather in the world, and, at the same time, lucky enough not to have any of the wingnut, bible-thumping, reality-denying politicians the likes of George W., Sarah, Rush, & Glenn.
Unfamiliar with Alberta politics, I take it?

We generally like Canadians. There certainly wouldn't have been an entertainment industry without them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 01:00 AM
 
126 posts, read 129,486 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
No such thing as a "Canadian".

Folks who live in Toronto generally are a bit different from those in Vancouver, and Montreal residents tend to be significantly different than both in terms of perspective and interest.

From what I understand the Calgary folks tend to be a bit more conservative than the folks on either coast.

Oh, and because you are from Kansas, California and New York you consider yourself either Liberal or Conservative. I lived in Ontario and I am conservative....give me a break, don't sterotype me. If you want to say it I am more like a person from Manitoba. As for the east coast, being more rural, they are more conservative. But please stop putting us all neat packages. I have been in the States for 20 years, I am not going to be tread on by the likes of someone who thinks they know who I am. We, I can say as a population, use better english, and are polite and apologize immediately if we are incorrect. If I'm incorrect here NewToCa, I apologize but unless you were born and bread as a Canadian-American (don't ever call me that- because I am an American-thank-you) you can keep your stereotype to yourself. If my grammar or english was incorrect, I apologize because i have been up late with 5 kids too many days in a row..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 01:32 AM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,587 posts, read 20,162,906 times
Reputation: 16110
And they can be VERY touchy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top