U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-11-2011, 10:16 AM

3,697 posts, read 6,977,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FebruaryAir View Post
Is Ukiah cheap?
Check craigslist for prices.

However the more important question whould be what's life like in Ukiah? Once you get above Santa Rosa unemployment/lack of career opportunities increases quite a bit. So lower rents alone will not always be a good thing.

Here is one thread you can read more about it: Insight on Ukiah, Ca Needed

Derek
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 05:34 PM

979 posts, read 2,650,108 times
This is for the OP and also for those curious about moving to someplace affordable in this state.

Bakersfield is one of the more affordable places to live in California,and just because it's affordable it doesn't mean it's ghetto or bad,but it just happens to be more affordable probably because of our Location and Climate.

Before moving down here,I lived up in Western Washington and when I heard that were moving down to Bakersfield I was like Wow I know that it get's hot there and that it had a bad reputation.

Well fast forward- I've been down here for more than 10 years now and trust me if Bakersfield was really that bad,I wouldn't have been here this long,but i'm so glad we moved down here from Washington ...When I first toured Bakersfield I was surprised to see that it was much better than I expected especially from hearing so many bad comments about the place,and yeah Bakersfield does have it's undesirable areas,but so does every other city,so let me just give you a few reasons why I love it here.

First of all,Bakersfield has a population of over 300,000 and growing,so it's a mid-sized city and has practically all the necessities and amenities you basically need....The town I lived up in Washington had a population of less than 50,000 so their wasn't as much things to See or Do compared to Bakersfield,and as time goes by more newer things continue to come to Bakersfield,and even though Bakersfield is growing it still has a small town feel to it.

1)The traffic here is minimal compared to other larger metros in the state,and it's not overly crowded yet.

2)The cost of living here is reasonable,i've seen nice homes around Bakersfield within $150,000-$200,000 range than would cost you upwards of $500,000 or more in other parts of CA....The prices have gone up though compared to before,but still affordable in my opinion for most.

3)I love the weather here...The Summers are Hot,Dry and Clear but the Humidity is low and we occasionally get relief when cooler marine air flows in,so our Summers are not as bad as places like Vegas or Phoenix...The Winters here do get surprisingly chilly and foggy at times,but it was tolerable for me.

4)Amazing views of the surrounding Mountains and views of the Agriculture Fields when driving outside the city limits....It's so relaxing when driving out or biking through the rural areas and it's hard to believe that your in a state with over 36 Million People.

5)The city is surprisingly green despite being in such a dry region,but I do enjoy the greenery and the nice parks,lakes and rivers nearby.

6)The Locals are Friendly and even the Crime here I consider as Moderate,so I feel safe throughout most of the city wherever I go.

7)Bakersfield is not too far from the Mountains or Deserts if you enjoy outdoor activities in those places and the Beaches and L.A are about 2 1/2 hours away.

8)The birdlife in this area is amazing,I couldn't believe the types of birds that nest here,especially with our type of climate,but I guess where there's greenery and water the birds will come.

I've also heard people complain about the Air Quality and the Smell....Well to be honest the Air Quality should be an issue for those with a sensitive respiratory system,but other than that the air seems breathable to me,but it all depends on each individual.

The smell people complain about is because were in Agriculture Country,so yes their are times when that odor from the fields drifts in,but it's not an every day odor to deal with.

I also wanted to note to not judge Bakersfield from driving through on the 99 Freeway,cause from the freeway you really don't see the nicer parts of this city.

Well just wanted to give a few positive points of why I love living here,so give Bakersfield a chance and even though it's not for everyone you may just like it :-)

On another note if Bakersfield is too large or crowded for your taste their is also a smaller community about 15 mins to the north called Shafter,which also has nice new and older homes and moderate crime as well.

Thank You and Take Care !

Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 12,146 times
Thanks "Bluefoxwarrior." Hot weather is definitely an issue where I am.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,611 times
Default Relocating to cheap but safe cali near san diego

What abt Riverside? I am looking to relocate to Cali at the end of this year (2012). I wanted to live either in Long Beach or San Diego. Can anyone please give me some places to live that are inexpensive but safe...w/ good high schools??? Me & y Son are pretty creative & laid back. We love live music, the arts & natural or organic type environments. We appreciate your kind assistance.

Thanx in advance!

Old 07-15-2012, 03:03 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,147,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquran View Post

What abt Riverside? I am looking to relocate to Cali at the end of this year (2012). I wanted to live either in Long Beach or San Diego. Can anyone please give me some places to live that are inexpensive but safe...w/ good high schools??? Me & y Son are pretty creative & laid back. We love live music, the arts & natural or organic type environments. We appreciate your kind assistance.

Thanx in advance!
a lot of people like Temecula. but you'll have to define inexpensive.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:12 PM

3,697 posts, read 6,977,095 times
Yes,

I also strongly encourage you check out Murrieta and Temecula. These are the best bang for the buck places to live in SoCal. And they have way better schools than most other less expensive areas including Riverside, et al. Plus you don't have the nasty smog levels which plagues the Inland Empire so much.

Derek

Old 09-28-2012, 03:00 PM

37 posts, read 30,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I live in bakersfield, there are plenty of safe areas, avoid east Bakersfield, do you have a job oppurtunity? I've lived her for a long time, never had a problem with safety, your going to hear alot of bad things from people who don't live here, the best advise is to visit before you move no matter where it is.
Let the bashing begin LOL
What have you heard about Jasmine Parke apartments or Seven Oaks?
Are these areas safe? (no gangs, etc.)

Old 09-03-2014, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 804 times
Carmichael, CA its a small city in Sacramento, CA middle class people live in this area it has a low crime rate as well. 1 & 2 bedroom apartments start at $700 per month.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:23 AM

1 posts, read 126 times
I would like to move to California also from Phoenix, Arizona. I love the West Coast. People told me that I would love Arizona and the West Coast and I did more in the beginning. Now people are telling me I need to check out California for a while. I am looking for rent in the same price range as that other person. Which is from $600 to $1200 per month.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:32 AM

49,539 posts, read 41,487,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeDream View Post
Carmichael, CA its a small city in Sacramento, CA middle class people live in this area it has a low crime rate as well. 1 & 2 bedroom apartments start at $700 per month.
do you realize this post is 4 years old. What do you bet the op has found a place to live, if indeed, he/she decided to move to Cal. he/she also never posted about that first one. I bet he just couldn't find anything to occupy his time that day. BTW: I love Carmichael: we lived right on the border of Carmichael and East Sac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California