Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 12:51 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb View Post
Here's a video of assorted images I took while on the trip. Turn on the sound. Don't judge harshly, I took it with a pocket Canon Cybershot and learned a trial version of video editing software to put it together. The middle screen size at 720hd seems to be the best. Weather was great and no Sasquatch encounters. I recommend clicking the link below the little video box the says Humboldt - YouTube as it's bigger in size.
Bubb,

You survived the trip in spite of Sasquatch and you even have video to show for it! Very nice indeed. I especially like the coastal shots in the beginning with all the seastacks. The area is definately beautiful, no dobt about that. Looks like you went at a good time without too much fog/cloud cover also.

So do you think you are going or considering it more now after the trip?

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 04:46 PM

19 posts, read 52,841 times
Thanks for the comments Dragonslayer and MtnSurfer.

Humboldt is definitely an incredibly beautiful place. I flew into San Francisco and drove up until Cloverdale and headed to the coast. It was sunny day once on the coast. The rental car had an outside temperate guage and the temp ranged between 52 and 58, typically hovering around 55. Needed a coat, but not a heavy one. Very nice. On up past Mendocino to where it cuts back onto 101. Went through the avenue of the giants and somewhere along the way hiked around Lady Bird Johnson grove. Can't really recall if that was north or south of Eureka/Arcata. Spectacular, peaceful, soul soothing. Got into Eureka about 4:30pm. I'd read so many negative comments on Eureka about check cashing stores and seedy hotels that I was completely surprised by what I found. Through my initial pass through town I thought it looked perfectly fine. Next morning I went downtown Eureka and was again surprised. It's very cool. All the old Victorian buildings looking cared for, awesome murals on the sides of buildings all over town. Many funky interesting shops. I saw about 10 or 15, in total, people who looked like they might be the transients people frequently describe. A local informed me that some could just have easily been folks who were local, but struggling. It seemed like a small number to me.

From downtown I headed inland and drove around Cutten, Blue Lake, Bayside area, etc. on my way to Arcata. Very short distance from town to country, green, bucolic, pastoral. That area looked like easy living to me. Wandered Arcata and stopped to walk around the Plaza. Went into a couple of shops, got a t-shirt and some gifts. Very easy vibe with store clerks/owners(?). The Plaza was smaller than I'd imagined, but a very nice grassy green space right in the center of the town square. Very peaceful. At one moment, while crossing at a corner, about 6 young guys came running, jumping, being mildly raucous, having a good time, singing some loosely wound song about letting the good times roll. A guy crossing the street from the other direction made eye contact with me to acknowledge the humourous element of the event. Mostly young people hanging out talking. Ate at an out of the way littel place called Tao Sushi, small and unassuming with awesome tempura shrimp. I wondered if there was a good place where you could get good ahi sashimi. Guess I then drove toward Willow Creek. From town to the real country/mountains, evergreen forest is a very short trip. Awesome country. Followed that highway until I reached some craigy, sheer mtn cliffs. True country. Looked like endless places to explore.

Next day up to Prairie Creek Redwoods. Got out and walked up the closed off road till I got to the "Big Tree", which was indeed
BIG. It's so stunning, ferns, moss freely growning everywhere, some leafy trees and bushes still green, others turning colors. On the way back, stopped at a little store with an old time gas pump and got gas and stuff. It had a truly rural, comfortable feel. Looked around Trinidad and ended the day on the beach as the sun went down.

I got lucky with the weather, but like coastal Oregon when it shines, man, it shines. Crystal clear blue sky, fresh, crisp air. Highways lined with huge trees. Rural appeal to the max.

One local explained her point of view on the transient/traveler contingency. She said that back in the day, the hippies came north, bringing with them values of peace, reverence for nature, freedom to be. She then noted that the current arrivals don't seem to have those values and some are prone to criminal activity including violence. That sometimes people with children avoid the plaza as they don't feel safe due to concerns about these people.

Came into contact with many nice people, also got vibed by a few. All in all it looked like a great place to live, especially if nature is your thing, which is what I thrive on.

Came back via Willets which seemed like a nice littel town. As I passed through, a young woman on the street stopped to hug a freind. Others were smiling and saw some old hippies. Made me feel warm.

In the meantime, I got a competing offer from Chico, so I've been doing my research on Chico, Paradise, Forest Ranch, etc.

Seems the strengths of the Chico are bennies of a larger University, ie lectures, programs, live music, proximity to the Sierra Nevadas and accompanying wilderness, heavy duty true summer that lasts a long time. Oppressive heat for several months, but it can be escaped by heading to or living in higher elevations of the foothills and commuting 15 to 30 minutes. Sunshine in abundance and easy, short winter that is about the same in temp as the coast. Proximity to metro areas and major airports. Apparently some gang stuff and profusion of students partying at night. But my wild days are past, so no real issue there. I wouldn't be out late enough for it to matter

I'm waying the pros and cons. Leaning toward the warmth and sunshine. A freind who's folks have lived long time in country west of Weott felt Humboldt was the better choice. Another freind from Mt. Shasta felt Chico was the way to go.

Anyone have any thoughts or info that could help clarify? It will be much appreciated.

Last edited by Bubb; 12-18-2011 at 04:57 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 11:02 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Humboldt is five hours from a city, Chico's an hour. Chico's a twofer because you can take advantage of the amenities of Sac but still live in Chico .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California