U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2007, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Bakersfield, CA
97 posts, read 344,526 times
Reputation: 42

Advertisements

Hi guys, i might move to bakersfield in september.....i've heard a few things about crime in bakersfield especially in a few areas, i think it goes by the name oildale....thus when i look for an apartment do i need to really look at this issue, and if yes is it really not advisable to live in oildale?? is edgewater condomiums on 8200 Kroll Way a good choice?? any input would be appreciated

Last edited by viraj; 07-01-2007 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: h
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2007, 07:40 PM
 
15 posts, read 78,055 times
Reputation: 18
Default Bakersfield!!!

Viraj, welcome to Bakersfield! Will you be attending or teaching at Cal State Bakersfield? Edgewater Condos are nice, close to the campus. You'd be close to the new Riverwalk Park, the Marketplace, and all the amenities of our recent building boom. Your experience here probably depends a little on where you're coming from. If you've lived in a cold place, it will seem very hot (except for a few days in the winter). If you've lived in a big city, it will seem amazingly cheap (for California) and the newer areas are spacious, but shopping can be zoo-like on the weekends. If you've lived in a small town, you will find certain areas congested (the transit planning wasn't synchronized with housing growth).
What have you heard about Oildale? Some of the nicest people live there! What I love is opening the paper and finding stories on people who have been married sixty years, or obituaries of centenarians. On a newscast the announcer pointed the camera to the ground and said excitedly, "Look! Rain!" Very different from the car chases and killings you see on LA channels. Yes, there are pockets of drug abusers and in warm weather I don't like to go to the Beale Library downtown because the homeless people panhandle in the airconditioned coolness, but there are other libraries, including one on Ming Avenue which would be near where you're considering. Bakersfield is big enough to have some of the privileges and disadvantages of a big city, but still small enough to have a hometown heart. And you're only two hours from LA if you want it. The current city slogan is, "Bakersfield, life as it should be." I'm not sure I totally agree with that, but I've lived in a lot of places in California and this is the spot I've stayed the longest. I hope you'll "discover" this place too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 12:04 AM
 
Location: Bakersfield, CA
97 posts, read 344,526 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Wonnie View Post
Viraj, welcome to Bakersfield! Will you be attending or teaching at Cal State Bakersfield? Edgewater Condos are nice, close to the campus. You'd be close to the new Riverwalk Park, the Marketplace, and all the amenities of our recent building boom. Your experience here probably depends a little on where you're coming from. If you've lived in a cold place, it will seem very hot (except for a few days in the winter). If you've lived in a big city, it will seem amazingly cheap (for California) and the newer areas are spacious, but shopping can be zoo-like on the weekends. If you've lived in a small town, you will find certain areas congested (the transit planning wasn't synchronized with housing growth).
What have you heard about Oildale? Some of the nicest people live there! What I love is opening the paper and finding stories on people who have been married sixty years, or obituaries of centenarians. On a newscast the announcer pointed the camera to the ground and said excitedly, "Look! Rain!" Very different from the car chases and killings you see on LA channels. Yes, there are pockets of drug abusers and in warm weather I don't like to go to the Beale Library downtown because the homeless people panhandle in the airconditioned coolness, but there are other libraries, including one on Ming Avenue which would be near where you're considering. Bakersfield is big enough to have some of the privileges and disadvantages of a big city, but still small enough to have a hometown heart. And you're only two hours from LA if you want it. The current city slogan is, "Bakersfield, life as it should be." I'm not sure I totally agree with that, but I've lived in a lot of places in California and this is the spot I've stayed the longest. I hope you'll "discover" this place too!
wow thats a wonderful reply, so ru saying edgewater is a safe locality to chose?? thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 01:03 AM
 
1,732 posts, read 3,975,146 times
Reputation: 1405
Overall the Crime in Bakersfield isn't that bad....I wish I knew more about Oildale,but I don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj View Post
Hi guys, i might move to bakersfield in september.....i've heard a few things about crime in bakersfield especially in a few areas, i think it goes by the name oildale....thus when i look for an apartment do i need to really look at this issue, and if yes is it really not advisable to live in oildale?? is edgewater condomiums on 8200 Kroll Way a good choice?? any input would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 10:46 AM
 
15 posts, read 78,055 times
Reputation: 18
Viraj, yes, you'd be safe! I hope you can come see for yourself. The weather is hot right now and you should have a car, as the bus service takes forever and you don't want to be sitting in the sun waiting or walking unless you're used to high temperatures. Yes, you do get used to it!
A retired college president came to town a few years ago to serve as an interim dean at Bakersfield College, and Edgewater was his first choice, but he ended up on the north side because he wanted to be closer to the campus. I met him because my family at that time lived in an area called "Lower Country Club" in the 93305 zip code, and imagine my surprise when I read in the paper that we were living in an area with the highest homicide rate! That was certainly not my experience at all, or I was too dumb to know the danger we were in, or it just points up the unreliability of statistics from street to street. In general, life is fine west of the 99.
You'd be located west of the homes around Stockdale Country Club, an established neighborhood of custom homes on large lots, and to the north and south of you are extremely well-cared-for condos and apartments. If these types of buildings were transplanted to LA county, you'd be talking Millionaires' Row. I'm serious. Much of the development has sprung up in only the last 20 years or less.
If you look up Kroll Way on yahoo maps or another site, and pan out, you'll see that your "block," bounded by Gosford, Ming, Old River Road, and Stockdale Highway, contains not only the college campus, a major shopping and gathering spot (The Marketplace), but also the Post Office, several large corporations, and Mercy Southwest Hospital (may you never need it, but have the peace of mind knowing it's there). And if you go another major block west, there's a police station on Buena Vista Road. For more reassurance, you might like to check out
Bakersfield Police - Crime Statistics (http://crimestats.bakersfieldpd.us/ - broken link)
which marks with a dot all the police reports in the city (the sheriff is responsible for unincorporated areas). You might also like to check out the city's website which has extensive police links but also information about what else the city can offer:
Site Map
And you might also enjoy this link to our community newsletter, which is largely made up of citizen contributors:
The Northwest Voice - The Northwest Voice - Giving a voice to Northwest Bakersfield
I can truly sympathize with your desire for safety; I lived in Oakland nearly 2 decades ago and was afraid often (I was held at gunpoint on the job; when riding bart I more than once was verbally assaulted and had powder offered under my nose, etc.) This place is TOTALLY different. It's too big to be a small town, but it has a small town feeling. You can bring the groceries home and pack them into the house without worrying that someone would get into your open car. Now, my family has had trouble with some jerky boys across the street who unscrewed all our sprinkler heads (and their parents seemed to be proud that the li'l darlin's could be smart enough to do that) but if that's the worst of our troubles, life is good. I don't know what your experience has been so far, but if you follow basic personal safety (common sense) precautions you should have no trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 11:05 AM
 
15 posts, read 78,055 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
Overall the Crime in Bakersfield isn't that bad....I wish I knew more about Oildale,but I don't
Oildale just doesn't get any respect. It was a small town next to Bakersfield but Bakersfield took off and engulfed it. The residents are known as "08rs" because the zip code is 93308; if you look that up on this site you get:
http://www.city-data.com/zips/93308.html
It's the kind of town Jeff Foxworthy might have in mind when he rips off his redneck jokes, but anybody I've ever known from there is extremely hardworking and respectable. The community college newspaper recently had a "humorous" article about Oildale and the trailerpark odor of meth Oildale: Fill your plate in the '08 - Reviews (http://media.www.therip.com/media/storage/paper443/news/2007/05/09/Reviews/Oildale.Fill.Your.Plate.In.The.08-2898345.shtml - broken link) .
If people don't want to visit there, they won't be missed; but most of the '08rs are those rock-solid heartland people and you could not find a better friend or prouder American.
PS I still recommend the west side because it's newer and the shopping is better!

Last edited by Aunt Wonnie; 07-03-2007 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Adding a postscript
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 04:33 PM
 
Location: California
11,433 posts, read 17,114,915 times
Reputation: 12496
I'm sure the area you are looking at is good, the northwest is good and there are plenty of other nice areas, if you can take a look at the apartments you are interested in, that should answer any questions you may have, i think Bakersfield is a good place except for the heat.


Aunt Wonnie, I agree there are many good people in the Dale, it is unfairly judged by a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Not tied down... maybe later! *rawr*
2,689 posts, read 6,201,590 times
Reputation: 4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Aunt Wonnie, I agree there are many good people in the Dale, it is unfairly judged by a lot of people.
I think the whole of Bakersfield is judged unfairly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2007, 02:08 AM
 
Location: Bakersfield, CA
40 posts, read 145,712 times
Reputation: 29
I lived in Bakersfield my whole life. I cant really compare to any other city since I never lived anywhere else, but all honestly Bakersfield is not a bad city to live at. People who lived here all their lives ,like myself, want to leave further south (LA, SD) for lack of entertainment and "things to do." When doing a reseach on TIME's best place to live, Bakersfield is on the bottom of the list compared to # of so. Cali's entertainment attractions (movie theaters, bars, etc).

Oildale is a small community north of downtown bakersfield which is known for its "rednecks". its okay, it does house the cheapest housing and crime over there is so-so. Its a whole better than the East part of town or the SouthEast/Downtown areas. Stay away from those areas,esp. at night. Least crime falls in the most expensive neighborhoods like in the NW (rosedale) and sw (seven oaks, haggin oaks). Youre condo is located right by a university which is actually a very nice place. The local paper (bakersfield.com) has a crime report every week(?) and it outlines crimes around town. There you can see the dangerspots to avoid. Even the mall got its shares of crime, the biggest one a shooting last year. (only one person died). watch out for the malls and universities as I see/hear a lot of car thefts.

I currently live in the NW and love it here. Bakersfield is growing at very high rate (esp. those comin from LA area). It is very cheap compared to LA/SD/SF areas. Negatives, very bad air quality. LIke #2 worst air in the USA (#1 was LA). It does get very hot here. Not as hot as Phoenix but Bakersfield does reach 100+ for at least 1-2 months straight. (like right now). Home prices also dropped like by 5% from last year or something after it spiked like 45%(?), one of the biggest spikes from 2000.

Thats all I can think of but any questions, just ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2007, 03:33 AM
 
1,732 posts, read 3,975,146 times
Reputation: 1405
Bakersfield is a nice city to live in...The views of the Mountains on a clear day is Gorgeous and their are many parks to enjoy,and their are Mountains,Lakes,Rivers,Deserts all nearby.

The Diversity of Animal and Plant Life is also amazing here in Kern County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top