Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:26 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I think people will have a lot of choices where to get it, grow it, buy from someone who grows it, buy from the cartel or pay the most from a legal store.
The bill says you can have 1 ounce but 25 sq ft will grow much more than that. Yeah people may be jumping in yards to steal a guys plants but it is easy to grow and all ya gotta have is a bad attitude dog.
Personally I think it is written very poorly, I don't see near enough details about how laws will need to be changed or how it will be taxed, I think it will fail by not passing or the feds will step in and shut it down. It needs more work.
While I agree that the law needs more work, that hasn't stopped the legislature in CA (or other states for that matter) from passing new laws. Many laws are amended, or additional legislation is created, after the fact, and this one can be too. Legislation does not have to be perfect on the first go round. This law should pass and then the legislature and the courts can figure out what more needs to be done to deal with it. If we wait for a perfect law, nothing will happen. This law is too important to CA, Mexico, Canada, and the rest of the US to let it fail after all the hard work and money to get it on the ballot. Literally the whole world is watching what CA does, but then that's nothing new. I urge every registered voter to go to the polls and support this new law. This is going to be a close vote so every voters participation is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM

Default Where was management?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
You would be amazed!!!! I once worked with a bunch of potheads at a high tech firm. And while not all of them were "high" on the job, a fair amount of them were and it showed in their performance. The job I had with them was a promotion from a simple shipping operator job I started out with, and how I longed to work alone again.
If workers on the job were obviously impaired that was a failure of management to address that performance issue, not a comment on making cannabis legal. After all, you are describing behaviour at a place of business when cannabis is illegal. This could have easily been addressed by management if they choose to do so. That would also be trueif this law passes as it offers not protection from working while impaired on the job.

So what is your point?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
This reminds me of the Arizona illegal immigaration bill and how the government is suing Arizona. I wonder if they would sue California if this bill passed?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:39 AM

Default Do you pay taxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinking View Post
i don't smoke , so i don't care it.
This is an issue for everyone. Just because you don't smoke, is a simplistic way to approach this issue. Do you pay taxes? Would you like the state to have another method to raise money to lower the shortfall in the state budget, or would you rather some services disappear? Do you want to keep sending non violent cannabis users to prison, so you can pay to care for them and their families? Do you want to continue the violence and criminal activity associated with contraband and smuggling, or would you like to try an alternative? Do you want to continue to have illegal grow house operations in your neighborhood, or do you want it legal, out in the open, and subject to zoning and local registration ordinances? Well do ya pal?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
This reminds me of the Arizona illegal immigaration bill and how the government is suing Arizona. I wonder if they would sue California if this bill passed?
I'm wondering the same thing, it's going to be interesting for sure.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:51 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Interesting article: Reefer Gladness - NYTimes.com

"So, it’s not a bit surprising that one of the biggest contributors to the campaign against legalization is the California Beer and Beverage Distributors. Having branded their products with nearly every major American recreational ritual, Big Alcohol does not want marijuana to get a piece of that large pie of legal money spent to distract ourselves from ourselves.

The other major opponents appear, at first glance, to be somewhat of a surprise. The California Cannabis Association, representing medical marijuana dispensaries, has come out against legalization, claiming it would be “a direct assault on medical marijuana patients.”

Old 09-30-2010, 05:33 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I predict the federal government will step in to prevent the commercial sale of cannibis. What's more of an issue here, IMHO, is that the federal government has too much power over the states. I will vote in favor of 19 though I have no real belief my vote will matter given the federal involvement in this.
This gets a bit tricky; the Federal restriction on cannibis will stand. I did hear something from the Department of Justice - AG Holder saying that it's not going to be a high priority for them to go after people who comply with the laws in the individual states regarding cannibis, but they will prosecute people who seek to take advantage of these laws to do trafficking.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:28 AM

305 posts, read 771,011 times
Californio sur, I regret that The CCA came out against this because it makes THEM look like jerkoffs in the long run.

Prop 19 actually protects the rights of medical marijuana patients and does nothing to take away those rights. The next time word "compassion" comes up when discussing those dispensaries I'm going to call "BS". They just want to keep the price of cannabis high and they don't want to lose that cash crop. It's a sad world when you see that no matter what the situation is $$$ rules all.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:46 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
$$$$$ it always ends up about money

Old 10-01-2010, 08:18 AM

113 posts, read 396,610 times
Yes on prop 19!!!! Logic wins!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California