U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:52 AM

160 posts, read 767,089 times

Advertisements

Sad. Indeed sad.

But I wanna ask, just out of curiosity: is the electric bill so high in OC? For real?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 04:00 AM

104 posts, read 640,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Nice article. My sentiments exactly. It's funny when you say something like this though on this forum your immediatley a "hater". We make a little over 120K a year and realized we would be throwing so much a way if we stayed in San Diego. I really don't know how people who make LESS than that can justify paying 400k-600k for a starter home. It's a hard place to leave...but now that I've been gone for almost 8 years... and I visit often.....I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Alot of my friends are leaving for other states now too. I miss the way California use to be ...........but I'm not "bitter".
Agreed! We live in the beautiful rolling hills area of NE KS...and it is NOT ugly flatland where we are as many think. The only things we miss from CA is the mild winters, ocean, mountains....the rest we were glad to leave behind. CA dream? That dream of long ago is now a nightmare, and CA is a "sort of" nice place to visit...but....

Old 07-03-2007, 09:00 AM

223 posts, read 216,928 times
my family & i moved to ca from pa in 1-78.my father rented a brand new single story 3 bedroom/2 bath house in upper loma linda for $400.00 month.it was not expensive to live here & orange trees were everywhere.fast forward 29 years.that exact home is now renting for 1600.00 month.the orange trees are thinning out & homes are being built everywhere.the dmv is screwing us blind & were taxed big time.the cost of living is VERY high & im having trouble making ends meet.state tax was 6% in 1978 & now its 8 1/4%.ca is a VERY greedy & selfish state & such rude people.....wow !

Old 07-03-2007, 09:31 AM

8,262 posts, read 26,266,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james203 View Post
my family & i moved to ca from pa in 1-78.my father rented a brand new single story 3 bedroom/2 bath house in upper loma linda for $400.00 month.it was not expensive to live here & orange trees were everywhere.fast forward 29 years.that exact home is now renting for 1600.00 month.the orange trees are thinning out & homes are being built everywhere.the dmv is screwing us blind & were taxed big time.the cost of living is VERY high & im having trouble making ends meet.state tax was 6% in 1978 & now its 8 1/4%.ca is a VERY greedy & selfish state & such rude people.....wow !
Like I said - I understand the frustration - but 1978 was nearly 30 years ago. Think about how much has changed and why it has changed. When I made a decision to stay in CA and buy a home - I went into that decision with my eyes wide open. CA will continue to grow and attract people from all over the world. It will continue to drive growth in other western states as it has done for over 100 years. In every city with growth there is a person lamenting development and rising costs. But would you rather be in a place like Detroit, Pittsburgh, or Albany, where the city has steadily been losing population and jobs for 30+ years?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_A_Woman View Post
Well said. But sadly, this applies to many areas, not just to Calif.
It applies to nearly every growing city in our country. I am a firm believer that globalization and the constant cowtowing to the wealthy by local, state, and federal governments is forcing the middle class out of the high-cost, high-paying job centers and into low-cost areas. Those low-cost areas have murky economic stability and it is unclear as to whether or not the high paying jobs will ever get there. A bigger house is not something that drives my decisionmaking - I grew up in a small house and never really wanted for anything.

For me as a young man it is better to absorb the higher costs of living with a higher income than to move to a low-cost area and earn less. My housing costs are fixed for life and I am at the beginning of my prime earning years. So while I can understand one's decision to leave, is it so difficult to understand why someone in my position would decide to stay?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,875,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Like I said - I understand the frustration - but 1978 was nearly 30 years ago. Think about how much has changed and why it has changed. When I made a decision to stay in CA and buy a home - I went into that decision with my eyes wide open. CA will continue to grow and attract people from all over the world. It will continue to drive growth in other western states as it has done for over 100 years. In every city with growth there is a person lamenting development and rising costs. But would you rather be in a place like Detroit, Pittsburgh, or Albany, where the city has steadily been losing population and jobs for 30+ years?
You make it sound like those are the only two choices: Either live in CA or go to the decaying rust belt. There's plenty of places in this country that are growing, have good paying jobs, and the median house DOESN'T cost 6-8x the median income like it does in California.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:44 AM

1,900 posts, read 1,814,290 times
Ah, California, I sit at my computer and watch the sun come over up the 10,700 foot peak to the east still holding snow. The tall pines outside the house shade the drive and will for another couple of hours before the intensity of the high altitude sun hits. It is 37 degrees outside now, no bugs, no humidity. The temperature should hit 85 today, hot for our area. Yesterday I went for a short ride on Robinson Jeffers, my horse, we saw two bucks, one a nice four point. we passed through woods and meadows, including an historic Basque sheep camp with a still usable hornos. I have made pizza there several times for my children. I did that ride rather than trailer the horse fifteen miles and ride in the high granite mountains over looking clear blue lakes, since I am pretty busy packing and cleaning these days.

In the evening I took the open top jeep out, drove a mile to a trailhead and followed it for a few miles. I saw the high school science teacher out on his mountain bike, but that was the only person I saw.

My home sits at 6,000 feet in a small valley occupied by 30 homes on acreage with snow covered peaks to the south and west. With and average of 15 feet, that is feet, of snow each year. Land in our valley sells for about 100,000 an acre, up from 15,000 an acre since power and pavement reached our valley 10 years ago. Pretty affordable. There are three lakes within 5 miles, two more 10 miles out, and of course blue blue Lake Tahoe, 15 miles away. My children have grown up running, biking, riding, hiking, and nordic skiing wild lands. To them the sound of the wind in the trees, the howling of the coyotes, the deer along the roadways, the murmurs of mountain streams are the constant backdrop to their lives, and I hope the memories will sustain them as they set out on life's adventure.
This folks, is the California Dream, for us, and for our neighbors.

But, time moves on, and dreams change. Soon we will live a new California Dream. On the coast of California, where a hot day is 80 and a cold day is 60, good for the bones. On our place on the coast are trees, not monotype Jeffery Pine forests interspersed with Aspens and Cottonwoods along the streams, but monterey Pines, Redwoods Palms, ancient (like 100 year old) orange trees, Cotton woods, avocados, my wife is so excited about gardening good veges and good fruit. We can ride, hike, bike, sail, all that stuff year round. She wants a convertible TT, black with leather seats, she has drive 4x4 trucks for too long. The mountains which rise behind the coastal valleys are high and steep and little visited, The Santa Lucias, the San Rafaels, The Sierra Madre, good for the soul. The beach is just a few miles away, my wife will get a camper shell for her pickup so she can take our large unruly dogs to the beach to run.

We look forward to good vegetables, good seafood, and the incomparable steakhouses of the central coast. I look forward to the fogs, like warm blankets wrapped around you. Good working weather. As a teenager I set out each summer morning on my 10 speed, my lunch in my pack, peddling through the dense fog to the bean fields or the Apricot orchards, good working weather.

The California dream is this.

The California dream lies waiting for you, the only limit to the dream is the limits you put upon your self.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You make it sound like those are the only two choices: Either live in CA or go to the decaying rust belt. There's plenty of places in this country that are growing, have good paying jobs, and the median house DOESN'T cost 6-8x the median income like it does in California.
All depends on what your definition of a good-paying job is. I want to make well over 100k, and in ten years I want to be making way beyond that. It's not just about the jobs, it's about the career paths. I could take a job in Denver but if that one dries up, it might be a while before I can find another.

In my line of business (tech), it's hard to beat CA. My short list of alternatives are Seattle and Washington DC - not exactly low-cost areas.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:47 AM

160 posts, read 767,089 times
Greatbasinguide, that's an amazing description that one of yours! That's why I love Cali too: the enormous diversity of anything you can think about. From palm trees to snowy peaks, from countless parks to beautiful beaches, also a great people diversity and a lot of professional opotunities. All together here, in beautiful, sunny, golden California.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:11 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,652,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
And add Akron/Cleveland OH to that list. NEO has been experiencing corporations leaving since the 1970's and it still continues. NEO is experiencing a brain drain due to the fact that there are not many high-paying jobs regardless of the level of education. My husband and I are 44 and 46 respectively; he is a pharmacist; I am an accountant. We are okay for right now; I have my own business that I can run from anywhere in the country. My concern is for our children who run from ages 23 to almost age 6. This does not appear to be the land of opportunity for them. For my own business; this is not the land of opportunity either. You have it right; no place has it alll. There is a reason why it is more expensive to live in certain places; I have a few friends that I graduated with back in 1981; those that have lived in CA have moved back, wishing to get back in now. They are all people who are my age - in their mid 40's. They moved back here for the same reason we moved back (we lived briefly in Orange County in the early 1980's) - that is for the reason of having our family and having the kids know their grandparents. Certainly, if we would move back to CA (San Diego is my choice); I would not expect to have it the way it was in the early 1980's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California