Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 PM

223 posts, read 279,784 times

Advertisements

this is so true !
http://www.tomvoli.com/the-california-dream-is-gone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 01:08 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,845,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james203 View Post
I agree for the most part that living here is really expensive and that it is not so great anymore. However, you need to realize that the main thing that makes OC expensive is the housing. Of course the OC markets have seen massive run ups in the RE prices to an unsustainable level. Now we are finally seeing a weakening market as a result. Most people are priced out, inventories are rising, lending standard have raised, interest rates are rising. If you still think that housing is going to appreciate then I don't know what statistics you are looking at. Prices will not stay this high forever.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:46 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,409,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I agree for the most part that living here is really expensive and that it is not so great anymore. However, you need to realize that the main thing that makes OC expensive is the housing. Of course the OC markets have seen massive run ups in the RE prices to an unsustainable level. Now we are finally seeing a weakening market as a result. Most people are priced out, inventories are rising, lending standard have raised, interest rates are rising. If you still think that housing is going to appreciate then I don't know what statistics you are looking at. Prices will not stay this high forever.
Agree. My advice would be to remain patient and maybe rent for a while. A market can not sustain itself without buyers because value is based on what people can and are willing to pay.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:39 PM

12 posts, read 81,534 times
Default Massive development

One major issue I have with life in Southern California is the massive development that has been going on. Fellow disgruntled Californians, I'd like to know if this too is a problem with you all? When I was growing up in the suburbs of Orange and Riverside county I had very fond memories. Over the past ten years the two cities I grew up in (Corona + Irvine) have seen massive residential + commercial development over former open spaces and agricultural land. In their place are cookie cutter tract homes with very cliche street names like Shady Canyon, Quail Hill, Stonegate, etc. Big box stores have replaced the local mom & pop retail around the town. Looking at the places that I was raised I would never decide to live there today in spite of the nostalgia and memories I have...

On the other hand I do understand with a large influx of migration there needs to be homes to sustain the population. However I am bothered by this trend, maybe its because its human nature to long for familarity. But I think it is more than that. Maybe its the bland image that these developments bring? Or a drastic increase in population (which leads to conjestion, increase in the cost of living) that one must adjust to.

Then again I think I'm just being an elitist because the homes I grew up in were also once on orange fields and there was someone out there who was probably pointing the finger to our family in disapproval of urban development. And that person also lived in a house that was once on open land, and so on, and so on . . .

Old 07-02-2007, 06:30 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,406,927 times
It's funny to me how everyone talks about the "California Dream" like it was just 1958 and we're all going to work at Rockwell or Boeing. That was fifty years ago!

That "California Dream" died in the 70's along with most of what people seem to consider "the good ol' days" all across the country. The new "California Dream" involves high paying tech jobs and immigrants from all over the world looking for a new life. California cities look pretty much like any growing, thriving city in the country or even the world. That has it's drawbacks, but the alternatives (rust belt decay for example) are much worse to me.

Maybe it's time to face reality that SoCal is never going back to the way it was, it's just going to get more dense, more people, more expensive, more traffic. Either you accept it and learn to make your own place within it, or you leave it all behind, but pining for the old days is a surefire way to end up bitter.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:36 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,673,581 times
Nice article. My sentiments exactly. It's funny when you say something like this though on this forum your immediatley a "hater". We make a little over 120K a year and realized we would be throwing so much a way if we stayed in San Diego. I really don't know how people who make LESS than that can justify paying 400k-600k for a starter home. It's a hard place to leave...but now that I've been gone for almost 8 years... and I visit often.....I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Alot of my friends are leaving for other states now too. I miss the way California use to be ...........but I'm not "bitter".

Old 07-02-2007, 06:49 PM

458 posts, read 2,771,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Nice article. My sentiments exactly. It's funny when you say something like this though on this forum your immediatley a "hater". We make a little over 120K a year and realized we would be throwing so much a way if we stayed in San Diego. I really don't know how people who make LESS than that can justify paying 400k-600k for a starter home. It's a hard place to leave...but now that I've been gone for almost 8 years... and I visit often.....I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Alot of my friends are leaving for other states now too. I miss the way California use to be ...........but I'm not "bitter".
I see you moved from SD to DFW. What was the adjustment like as far as the weather goes? Particularly in the winter time? The reason I'm asking is I'm almost set on moving to the DFW area from the Louisville, KY area for various reasons including getting away from cold winter weather and I was just wondering what your opinion is on whether it gets too cold in the DFW area in the winter time.

I have considered California in my relocation options, but the cost of living is so insane that I'm not even going to attempt moving there. I think living in a place like Dallas would be better and the money you could save because of cheaper living could go towards fun trips to places like San Diego or other fun places. Plus, it's not like Dallas is a dump or anything. It may not have the beautiful coast, mountains, and near perfect climate, but it's still very nice.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:10 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,673,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
I see you moved from SD to DFW. What was the adjustment like as far as the weather goes? Particularly in the winter time? The reason I'm asking is I'm almost set on moving to the DFW area from the Louisville, KY area for various reasons including getting away from cold winter weather and I was just wondering what your opinion is on whether it gets too cold in the DFW area in the winter time.

I have considered California in my relocation options, but the cost of living is so insane that I'm not even going to attempt moving there. I think living in a place like Dallas would be better and the money you could save because of cheaper living could go towards fun trips to places like San Diego or other fun places. Plus, it's not like Dallas is a dump or anything. It may not have the beautiful coast, mountains, and near perfect climate, but it's still very nice.
HI,
...I had a harder time adjusting to the SUMMER weather!! lol Winter is great out here actually. You get a few really cold days (30-40 degrees) a little ice on the roads for a few days here and there...that's about it. I've been here 8 years and have had to pull my heavy coat out very little.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:57 PM

458 posts, read 2,771,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
HI,
...I had a harder time adjusting to the SUMMER weather!! lol Winter is great out here actually. You get a few really cold days (30-40 degrees) a little ice on the roads for a few days here and there...that's about it. I've been here 8 years and have had to pull my heavy coat out very little.
That's good to hear. It gets pretty hot here, especially in June, July and maybe early August but it's definitly hotter there. I don't think I'll have much of a problem adjusting to that. My biggest concern is it being too similar to here during the winter, and so far, everyone I've talked to seems to say the same thing you did. A few cold days, with mainly mid-upper 40s, 50s, and 60s days and sometimes getting into the 70s and 80s.

I just can't take too many more winters here. I'm hoping to move within a couple of years at the latest. There are definitly worse places to be in the winter time but it's not pleasant to me. It seems to always be cold from late October until late March with it rarely ever getting into the 60s or 70s and if it does it's usually for one day. I'll take heat over cold any day

Thanks.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:25 PM

27,276 posts, read 27,336,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
It's funny to me how everyone talks about the "California Dream" like it was just 1958 and we're all going to work at Rockwell or Boeing. That was fifty years ago!

That "California Dream" died in the 70's along with most of what people seem to consider "the good ol' days" all across the country. The new "California Dream" involves high paying tech jobs and immigrants from all over the world looking for a new life. California cities look pretty much like any growing, thriving city in the country or even the world. That has it's drawbacks, but the alternatives (rust belt decay for example) are much worse to me.

Maybe it's time to face reality that SoCal is never going back to the way it was, it's just going to get more dense, more people, more expensive, more traffic. Either you accept it and learn to make your own place within it, or you leave it all behind, but pining for the old days is a surefire way to end up bitter.

Well said. But sadly, this applies to many areas, not just to Calif.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California