U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 05:36 PM

4,360 posts, read 3,670,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
So that is why people visit Bakersfield. I knew that their was a reason but just couldn't figure out what it was. LOL I remember going to Lauphlin Nevada on a 3 day trip with co workers. A couple of them made the trip to visit a Walmart across the river in Arizona. That amazed me. What is it that people see in a store that sells basic stuff? What is the draw? I would guess you could get the same cheap stuff at any other Walmart. That sure is not something you hear in Santa Barbara, Malibu, Ventura, Beverly Hills or countless other cities like them. Then again none of those places have a Walmart. LOL If you are looking for a Walmart store you may want to take the cities I have listed off your list of vacation choices as you will have to do something other than visit a Walmart. LOL
You too? Family trips to Laughlin were not complete without a run over the river to walmart. This was some years back before the outlet stores opened in laughlin. Besides my sister and mother don't gamble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 09:11 PM

19,263 posts, read 16,615,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
"We are going to spend some time in Bakersfield,"

LOL I don't think she's coming here just to find a WalMart
Well, what other reason could someone have?

Old 09-30-2010, 04:21 PM

10,513 posts, read 14,008,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
You too? Family trips to Laughlin were not complete without a run over the river to walmart. This was some years back before the outlet stores opened in laughlin. Besides my sister and mother don't gamble.
I don't gamble either. I love heading out there to play on the river on the Waverunners or what ever it is that they rent out there. Lots of fun. LOL

Old 09-30-2010, 04:52 PM

19 posts, read 32,045 times
@Curmudgeon

>>Hadila, do you really have to fly to Bakersfield to find the closest super Walmart? <<
Well, it's just a stopover, but I like to have a place to go shopping after dark, and I DO like the food department of the Super-Walmarts (normal Walmarts have just some uninteresting basics), as they are always well-stocked, and usually I needn't compare prices, because I have had the experience that , as a rule, you won't n get the same items cheaper anywhere. A recent example: my favorite cereal, G.M's Fiber One, retails at Albertons/Vons/Ralphs at 4,90 on average (unless there is a special clubcard-promotion) and I got it at a Super-Wal for 3,28 regular price. etc etc.
Plus they stay open late or - most of the time - 24 hours, and as I can't sleep after my overseas flight (time-shift!) anyway, I'd rather browse there than watch the clock move excruciatingly slow in my motel room.
Does that answer your question?

@everyone
The Gosford location is somewhat out of the way with regard to available lodging. I wasn't able, however, to find out the store hours of the Panama/I-99 location; tried to phone about a dozen times the number I found in some archived news report , but nobody ever answered the call.
Which made me suspect that they don't exist.

It was interesting for me to read the various comments in this thread!

hadila (Hamburg/Germany)

Old 09-30-2010, 05:04 PM

9,678 posts, read 10,954,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadila View Post
@Curmudgeon

>>Hadila, do you really have to fly to Bakersfield to find the closest super Walmart? <<
Well, it's just a stopover, but I like to have a place to go shopping after dark, and I DO like the food department of the Super-Walmarts (normal Walmarts have just some uninteresting basics), as they are always well-stocked, and usually I needn't compare prices, because I have had the experience that , as a rule, you won't n get the same items cheaper anywhere. A recent example: my favorite cereal, G.M's Fiber One, retails at Albertons/Vons/Ralphs at 4,90 on average (unless there is a special clubcard-promotion) and I got it at a Super-Wal for 3,28 regular price. etc etc.
Plus they stay open late or - most of the time - 24 hours, and as I can't sleep after my overseas flight (time-shift!) anyway, I'd rather browse there than watch the clock move excruciatingly slow in my motel room.
Does that answer your question?

@everyone
The Gosford location is somewhat out of the way with regard to available lodging. I wasn't able, however, to find out the store hours of the Panama/I-99 location; tried to phone about a dozen times the number I found in some archived news report , but nobody ever answered the call.
Which made me suspect that they don't exist.

It was interesting for me to read the various comments in this thread!

hadila (Hamburg/Germany)
Some comments are just killer, the Panama location does exist, I asked a friend who lives out that way this morning, he goes there all the time.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:57 PM

2,689 posts, read 4,505,082 times
hadila... you don't need to justify to anyone why you wanna shop somewhere. And people that make you feel like you do aren't worth your time... or anyone's else's.

Shop where you want. It's your life. Live it how you want.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:51 AM

19,263 posts, read 16,615,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
hadila... you don't need to justify to anyone why you wanna shop somewhere. And people that make you feel like you do aren't worth your time... or anyone's else's.

Shop where you want. It's your life. Live it how you want.
No you cannot be me. Lighten up. There are such things as irony, humor and facetious comments, you know.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:59 PM

2,689 posts, read 4,505,082 times
That was light... what wasn't are the posts degrading people for choosing to shop somewhere. And probably posted by adults. And America wonders where the bullying kids come from.
FTR, I wasn't referring to your post... but if you want to, you can think I was talking about you. That's your right. But why you'd want to.......

And my life is so awesome, I don't wanna be you or anyone else.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:19 PM

122 posts, read 233,385 times
I love super walmart. I started going there for food shopping as well and found out their prices cannot be beat, no way no how!

Old 10-16-2010, 09:44 AM

931 posts, read 850,749 times
There's an In-N-Out there too ya know.

And yes. I too can absolutely, 100% positively confirm that there is a Walmart open right there at Panama/99. Opened about two years ago.

Interesting was that the building was there uncompleted for nearly a decade prior. Construction started in around 1998. Then sat there half finished for most of the last decade before Walmart came in, completed it and then opened for retail business.

Have no idea why it took that long or if Walmart was the original inteneded tenent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California