Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:50 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
You want nuts? Check out his plan to create jobs...the dems would be better off putting Al Davis in there, hes less senile.
I heard him talk about job creation on a talk show in the past month. One of the things he brought up was something I totally agree with.

He said that we need to put more money in our universities so that everyone who is qualified can attend. Many of the large companies in California started as university projects (Amgen, Genentech, Google, etc.). Instead of trying to steal companies from other states, we need to grow our own new companies out of the university system. I completely agree with him on that and I thought it was quite insightful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 03:11 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Default She must not have done very well.

Didn't see the debate but CNN just reported Jerry polling 9 pts ahead of eMeg.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
From all I've read about the debate it sounds like it was predictable and singularly underwhelming!

In a sense, that's a "win" for Meg -- political novice and wannabe holds her own against seasoned, lifetime politician.
of course we didn't get to view it, but I did see some excerts on the news while in the doctors office today. It sounded to me like she held her own quite well. OK, it was Fox news, but still...

I am convinced it isn't going to make too much difference who wins (Meg is probably a better bet) Ca will take years to recover which is so sad.

Nita

Old 09-29-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
The former housekeeper for Meg Whitman -- the Republican candidate for Governor of California -- is about to make "controversial and explosive allegations about her former employer," TMZ has learned.

Meg Whitman's Housekeeper -- 'Explosive' Allegations | TMZ.com
and how much will she be expected to make on her comments? I never pay any attention to stuff like that, no one should. I don't care which side you are on...

Nita

Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,230 times
CNN/Time Poll: Democrats on top in California governor and Senate contests – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Guess the pollsters didn't like what they saw last night.

Quote:
According to the CNN/Time poll, Brown leads Whitman 52 to 39 percent among a larger sampling of registered voters. Brown's 13-point advantage is up from a two-point deficit in the early September survey.
"Virtually all of Brown's additional support comes from voters who attended college," Holland noted. "That helps to neutralize the 13-point advantage among independents that Whitman currently has."
The winner in November will follow moderate Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who is term limited.
The CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted September 24-28, with 1,507 adults, including 1,325 registered voters in California and 786 likely voters, questioned by telephone.
The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 2.5 percentage points for registered voters and plus or minus 3.5 percentage points for likely voters.
Here's the actual poll itself: http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im.../topstate4.pdf

After talking to more people my age group (early 20s), they seem to now be interested in voting for governor, rather than being indifferent. Unfortunately for Whitman, they support Brown. Just something I noticed after last night.

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 09-29-2010 at 04:22 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 07:06 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,168,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course we didn't get to view it, but I did see some excerts on the news while in the doctors office today. It sounded to me like she held her own quite well. OK, it was Fox news, but still...

I am convinced it isn't going to make too much difference who wins (Meg is probably a better bet) Ca will take years to recover which is so sad.

Nita
. A new study shows that CA is recovering but very slowly and should be looking pretty good in 2012. of course it would take a long time for it to recover, it's the 8th largest economy in the World!

Old 09-30-2010, 12:37 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The first gubernatorial debate is over. Jerry Brown and Meg Whitman handled some difficult questions and presented their vision\ plan for California. Anyone watch it? Any thoughts?
Both were somewhat vague on how they would fix the budget problem.

Whitman seemed to talk more about tax cuts to increase jobs/revenue, but we're 20 bil. in the hole now, so that suggestion is ineffective as it would take a while to raise revenue. She vaguely talked about making gov't more efficient. Good luck with that, as gov't does not have a good track record in making itself more efficient.

Brown mostly talked about cuts in various administrative departments and salary cuts.

Both avoided the elephant in the budget room, where if you look at the 2010 budget summary, and check out the pie charts, the "big three" budget expenditures include K-12 and Higher education (~42%), Corrections (7%), and Health-Human Services (aka, welfare) (25%). That's almost three quarters of the budget right there.

Even if you ELIMINATE ALL of the Legislative/Judicial/Executive budget, you'll still come up way short on fixing the budget problem. In fact, the other appx. 25% barely reaches the 20 billion deficit, so eliminating ALL of the rest of the budget categories will not solve the problem.

Nope, the ONLY way you will EVER get CA out of the hole permanently is to address how to cut the welfare, jail, and education budgets from where they are now. The problem is, nobody including the candidates will even talk about that at all. In fact, Meg wants to INCREASE the educational budget.

I get the feeling that neither major candidate actually wants to fix the budget problem at all. They just spout off some "feel good" emotional sales pitches in the hopes they can fool enough voters to elect them. I've never seen such a cynical campaign run by both candidates before. It's as though they are deliberately seeing just how stupid the average CA voter is (especially Meg). At least that's my opinion. What's yours (sorry, couldn't help it).

Old 09-30-2010, 01:05 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,231 times
One more thing. I think it's hilarious when Brown defends his cozy relationship with unions. His template response is "well I voted against raises / etc when I was governor the last time, blah blah blah".

Yeah, Jerry, you did a "great job" 20 years ago (despite giving unions collective bargaining, but I digress).

However, this is 2010, and in 2010
you're standing in front of union leaders and asking them to help you get elected. I just don't know how someone could possibly be more in bed with the unions more than Brown (other than if a union president ran for CA governor).

Old 09-30-2010, 01:58 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times
Default ~~~*~~~

Whitman did not come across well at all. Jerry Brown won't put those on welfare out in the streets like Meg plans on doing. Just what California needs...more homeless. No thanks, Meg ! She would be a disaster for California and yes I was here during Governor Brown's previous years in Sacramento. He is the better choice by far.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I heard him talk about job creation on a talk show in the past month. One of the things he brought up was something I totally agree with.

He said that we need to put more money in our universities so that everyone who is qualified can attend. Many of the large companies in California started as university projects (Amgen, Genentech, Google, etc.). Instead of trying to steal companies from other states, we need to grow our own new companies out of the university system. I completely agree with him on that and I thought it was quite insightful.
I don't know what he means by, put more money into the Ca universities, does he mean more scholarship money, upgrade the schools or what? I think there are plenty of young people, graduating right now from both CA universites and schools outside the state that would love to remain n Ca or move to California. I guess I don't get what you are saying, what do you mean by grow our own new companies from the university system?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California