U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-03-2010, 02:31 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
I'm from Pennsylvania and visited a friend in the Carlsbad area a few weeks ago and was stunned at what I saw. Years ago I was there and I thought it was amazing. It was like Heaven. I even thought about moving there myself. Thank God I didn't. My friend moved there from PA and is coming back. He regrets moving and tells me how he knows lots of people that moved to CA from all over the country and are moving back. There are no jobs at all, housing is insanely expensive, people are rude and so self-invovled, Mexicans are everywhere. I saw all of these things firsthand and was shocked. I'm not trying to trash your state, but you guys really need to get your act together. I saw Mexicans wearing shirts that showed a map of North America with the Mexican flag covering Mexico, California, and most of the southwest. I've personally heard Mexicans say stuff like "We own this state now" and nobody batted an eyelash. If a Mexican said that in Pittsburgh he'd end up laying in an alley with a bullet in his brain. And what's with all those weirdos demanding I sign some petition to support or oppose some proposition? How many freakin' propositions do you guys got??? And the Chargers being blacked out..pathetic. Hell, the weather isn't even that great anymore! I left Pittsburgh when it was 86 and sunny. It was 71 and sunny in San Diego. Meh. I'll stay where I'm at. It's just a shame that a once fantastic state has taken such a dramatic nosedive. I could see a craphole like New Jersey going downhill...but California?!??! What happened? How did it get to this???
I was in Carlsbad/Encinitas February of 2009 and I saw none of what you saw. When I started reading about your beef with Mexicans, it occurred to me that perhaps there is some exaggeration/fabrication embedded in your post. I'm not trying to challenge what you are saying as perhaps that is your reality, but I honestly saw absolutely nothing even remotely close to what you described.

Last edited by Donna7; 10-03-2010 at 02:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-03-2010, 05:27 AM

153 posts, read 271,792 times
Originally Posted by jeena
in New York you can isolate yourself from the element if you have the bucks to move into a good neighborhood.

Uhhhh.... you can do that here as well.

I was actually thinking about the middle class areas in NY, you can move in and be a good distance away from the worst neighborhoods in the area. I did see detached townhouses in Carlsbad that were in a nice area, around shopping, and the surrounding area seemed good also, but they were around $395,000, even a few years ago when the Ca. housing market was worse (I heard it picked up some) much too expensive for me to think about having a second home in Ca., but as a main residence, I thought it was a nice property.

A two-bedroom condo in Vista was going for $90,000 back then, but again, it was too close to the element, trailer parks, etc. for me to consider buying it. I don't have any trailer parks and tiny homes in my NY area, and it would make me uncomfortable to live too close to them.

My friend has a condo near San Luis Rey in SD, but the next building is a rental and there are sneakers hanging from the telephone wires, I would have never purchased a condo near rental units.

I heard San Marcos is full of gangs and people don't want to live there.

Even in Hollywood, many of those big celebrity homes aren't far from the crappy part of Sunset Blvd., and I was amazed that there were girlie joints right next to Hollywood High School! I was afraid to walk around in that area, yet the students have to walk there everyday. I liked Brentwood much better and wondered why anyone would rather live in the Hollywood area than Brentwood, unless Hollywood is closer to work for them, with less traffic.

Santa Monica was another crap hole, there was so many homeless people along the beach, that I felt uncomfortable being there alone, so I didn't stay too long. Jones Beach on the Atlantic in New York is a much nicer beach, with no homeless, it's mostly all families.

I was impressed with San Clemente, it has nice condos with beautiful ocean views, it reminded me of Spain. The only negative I could see was that it lacked a major shopping area nearby, and the shops in town were expensive.

If money were no object for me, I would live in a nice section of Carlsbad or San Clemente in the SD area. I liked La Jolla also, but the cove is full of seals, which may draw sharks into the beaches in that area. Additionally, when I was walking around town, a guy asked me for the time and I thought he was talking on his cell phone, so he started screaming at me for ignoring him, telling me he could have had a GUN and I would be dead now, so I apologized to defuse the situation, and he started making fun of my NY accent, so I immediately changed direction, got back in my car, and I never returned to La Jolla, that incident turned me off to that area.

Unread 10-03-2010, 06:18 AM

783 posts, read 374,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
I'm from Pennsylvania and visited a friend in the Carlsbad area a few weeks ago and was stunned at what I saw. Years ago I was there and I thought it was amazing. It was like Heaven. I even thought about moving there myself. Thank God I didn't. My friend moved there from PA and is coming back. He regrets moving and tells me how he knows lots of people that moved to CA from all over the country and are moving back. There are no jobs at all, housing is insanely expensive, people are rude and so self-invovled, Mexicans are everywhere. I saw all of these things firsthand and was shocked. I'm not trying to trash your state, but you guys really need to get your act together. I saw Mexicans wearing shirts that showed a map of North America with the Mexican flag covering Mexico, California, and most of the southwest. I've personally heard Mexicans say stuff like "We own this state now" and nobody batted an eyelash. If a Mexican said that in Pittsburgh he'd end up laying in an alley with a bullet in his brain. And what's with all those weirdos demanding I sign some petition to support or oppose some proposition? How many freakin' propositions do you guys got??? And the Chargers being blacked out..pathetic. Hell, the weather isn't even that great anymore! I left Pittsburgh when it was 86 and sunny. It was 71 and sunny in San Diego. Meh. I'll stay where I'm at. It's just a shame that a once fantastic state has taken such a dramatic nosedive. I could see a craphole like New Jersey going downhill...but California?!??! What happened? How did it get to this???
California has been going downhill for over thirty years now people are just not wiling to pay for the services they get and demand anymore its called prop13.

Unread 10-03-2010, 06:40 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,450,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I was in Carlsbad/Encinitas February of 2009 and I saw none of what you saw. When I started reading about your beef with Mexicans, it occurred to me that perhaps there is some exaggeration/fabrication embedded in your post. I'm not trying to challenge what you are saying as perhaps that is your reality, but I honestly saw absolutely nothing even remotely close to what you described.
Well Donna, I live in Northern California, about 500 miles from the border of Mexico. Come to where I work and you will many Mexican Flags hanging in front of houses. You'll see many Mexican Gangs saying they own this place and control the state.

You will go to call, after call, after call, when the first words out of their mouth is: "You speak Spanish?" Only to find out this person has been in the United States for the past 12 yrs. There is NO incentive for this person to learn English. Why? Everything is translated for them, its all in Spanish, and there is such a LARGE population of Hispanic's, there is absolutely no reason to learn the language.

This isn't a one time thing either. This is 1/3 of population of a city, with a population of 160K. And, guess what? Most of the people are on some sort of public assistance, which I and others in this state pay for.

Unread 10-03-2010, 07:06 AM

16,591 posts, read 17,366,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Funny, no Californian I know CURRENTLY judges people based on their zip code.
But area codes... different story. "He's a 909er." "She has 909 hair."

Unread 10-03-2010, 09:45 AM

23 posts, read 29,207 times
This from last year: "The federal government has charged three top police officers in Shenandoah, Pa., with covering up evidence in the fatal beating last year of a Mexican immigrant.

Two white football players are in jail now for the attack, although the most serious charges against them were thrown out by a jury.

Federal prosecutors say that's because police officers in the insular town knew the boys and altered evidence in the case. One police officer investigating the case was dating the mom of one of the accused. Another cop had a son on the same football team as the accused."

The OP is commenting on the state of minorities in California. Well, color me surprised!

Unread 10-03-2010, 10:59 AM

749 posts, read 862,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeena View Post

in New York you can isolate yourself from the element if you have the bucks to move into a good neighborhood.

Uhhhh.... you can do that here as well.

1) Santa Monica was another crap hole, there was so many homeless people along the beach, that I felt uncomfortable being there alone, so I didn't stay too long. Jones Beach on the Atlantic in New York is a much nicer beach, with no homeless, it's mostly all families.

I was impressed with San Clemente, it has nice condos with beautiful ocean views, it reminded me of Spain. The only negative I could see was that it lacked a major shopping area nearby, and the shops in town were expensive.

If money were no object for me, I would live in a nice section of Carlsbad or San Clemente in the SD area.

2) I liked La Jolla also, but the cove is full of seals, which may draw sharks into the beaches in that area.
1) Apparently quite a few well established entertainers (who are residents of SM) and have the bucks to live anywhere in the world have a different view of Santa Monica than you do.

2) I've snorkeled and swam many times in La Jolla cove. Never had a problem. You are more likely to die in a car accident than you are to be attacked by a shark.

You seem very bothered by the urban environment in general. Yes..there are poor people and rich people and middle class people. I might suggest you try to be a little more accepting of other people and their station in life.

Unread 10-03-2010, 03:40 PM

14,141 posts, read 13,865,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
But area codes... different story. "He's a 909er." "She has 909 hair."
From Wikipedia:

In 2004, KROQ FM Released a charity album entitled "Christmas Time in the 909" which included a track of the same name by Greenbrier Lane.

In 2003, the character Summer from The O.C. demeaningly refers to Pittsburgh as "the 909 of the east."

Unread 10-03-2010, 03:47 PM

16,591 posts, read 17,366,131 times
Yeah, see?

Unread 10-03-2010, 03:49 PM

14,141 posts, read 13,865,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
I've snorkeled and swam many times in La Jolla cove. Never had a problem. You are more likely to die in a car accident than you are to be attacked by a shark.
There's never been a fatal shark attack off the coast of 949.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California