U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 07:00 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,667,437 times

Advertisements

If you come to L.A. and don't have lots of time, stick around one area. There's soooo much to see here, I don't know where to start. I really love San Francisco but the weather doesn't agree with me. Mark Twain once said "My coldest winter day was a summer afternoon in San Francisco" or something like that. Without fail, I always get sick. I typically stay a weekend.

The two places are polar opposites. Regarding the L.A. bashing above, I've found L.A. residents more approachable but I could never label an entire city as rude. As long as you're not from L.A., SF residents are pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 11:12 AM

1,287 posts, read 4,645,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertho View Post
SF is always a great place to visit. But at the end of the day, what makes it good for visiting, i.e., it's compact size, makes it boring real fast. As people already said, SoCal is just a more energetic frenetic place that offers whatever SF does and then some in a nice sunny package. When it comes to culture, SF does not hold a candle to LA. I'm simply dumbstruck when people say otherwise. SF is a predomninantly homogenuous place that has three kinds of people: tourists, rich white people, and the homeless. Its museums hold no collections of note. L.A.'s the Getty (both museums), the LACMA, Norton Simon, and the Huntington are destinations onto themselves. Trust me, you will have more stories to tell about your visit to L.A.
Well said.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:21 PM

43 posts, read 175,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Belle92 View Post
San Francisco any day.

Los Angeles is much too dirty, spread out, and chaotic for my taste. The people aren't friendly (they're egotistical and quite rude), the drivers remind me of Boston, and it's just not a friendly place.

San Francisco, on the other hand, is compact and easily navigated, the culture is incredible, and it has such a unique flair and character that it makes for a great vacation.

I'm thinking about SF for college myself! I'm looking into the conservatory there. I went to visit the place and also L.A. on the same trip (family) and was astounded by how vibrant and fun SF was.
Well, you already have the typical San Francisco attitude about LA, so you'd probably fit right in.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:31 AM

483 posts, read 1,906,398 times
San Francisco is a city.
LA is a subdivision with delusions of grandeur.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:15 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,537,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
San Francisco is a city.
LA is a subdivision with delusions of grandeur.
You do a good impression of San Franciscans.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:31 AM

1,900 posts, read 1,813,627 times
This is a question revolving around our homestead. Daughter A has looked at the two campuses of the school she wants to attend, one in LA and one in SF.

She has decided on SF, She says, "it is my town", this from a small town mountain girl. She likes the urban sophisticated feel, plans live to live in Pacific heights down the street from Danielle Steele!

She is driving down next week to check things out. Pretty scary for the parents, scary and exciting for the girl.

That she can get around without a car, that there are shops and cafes and hangouts everywhere appeals to her.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:05 PM

14 posts, read 79,536 times
Hands down...San Francisco. If you want culture and beauty then it's the city by the bay.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:45 PM

30,201 posts, read 16,739,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Belle92 View Post
San Francisco any day.

Los Angeles is much too dirty, spread out, and chaotic for my taste. The people aren't friendly (they're egotistical and quite rude), the drivers remind me of Boston, and it's just not a friendly place.

San Francisco, on the other hand, is compact and easily navigated, the culture is incredible, and it has such a unique flair and character that it makes for a great vacation.

I'm thinking about SF for college myself! I'm looking into the conservatory there. I went to visit the place and also L.A. on the same trip (family) and was astounded by how vibrant and fun SF was.
Well, I'm a native Southern Californian and I take exception to your statement above about L.A. people being egotistical and rude.

As someone else already said, you already have the San Francisco attitude, so you'd fit right in.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:31 AM

1,749 posts, read 7,667,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
This is a question revolving around our homestead. Daughter A has looked at the two campuses of the school she wants to attend, one in LA and one in SF.

She has decided on SF, She says, "it is my town", this from a small town mountain girl. She likes the urban sophisticated feel, plans live to live in Pacific heights down the street from Danielle Steele!

She is driving down next week to check things out. Pretty scary for the parents, scary and exciting for the girl.

That she can get around without a car, that there are shops and cafes and hangouts everywhere appeals to her.
Pacific Heights is gorgeous. I love the movie Sudden Fear with Joan Crawford and Jack Palance. Awesome Film Noir. One of the locations is a house there.

Lots of kids from the boonies come to the city and thrive. She's gonna have a blast!

Old 07-26-2007, 11:19 PM

102 posts, read 415,383 times
San Francisco. It's easily one of the nicest cities in the US. Really a unique and pretty city. LA is appealing to a lot of people and no doubt there is a lot to do there but it has too many problems. You will have people that prefer SF and others that prefer LA. It really depends on what type of person you are. However, San Francisco is just a much nicer city and someone would have to make a damn good argument to convince me otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or