U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-02-2010, 07:48 AM

4 posts, read 16,909 times
Question Vandenberg AFB and surrounding

Hi everyone,

My husband just received orders for Vandenberg, and we're incredibly excited. We'll be coming from Barksdale AFB, in northwest Louisiana, just outside of Shreveport. We can't stand it here--the weather, the people, the lifestyle, etc.--so this move is long overdue.

We both grew up in mid-sized coastal towns in Florida, and I spent five years in Tampa for college. I've spent a lot of time out west (Utah, New Mexico, Arizona), but I've never been to California.

Anyway, I'm giving you all this background because I'm trying to determine what to expect once we get there. I've read some posts on here about there not being much to do or look at, but after our time in Louisiana, it really won't take much to impress us. Although I wouldn't mind driving to Santa Barbara for things to do, either.

We'll probably end up living on base until we get the lay of the land, but how are the surrounding cities? I've read conflicting opinions about Santa Maria, Lompoc, Orcutt, etc. What are the lifestyles like? Or the atmosphere of each city? We're both fairly young (he's 35, I'm 24), liberal, nonreligious, educated.

I realize that each person's opinion of a place is subjective based on where that person has been already, so I can see how someone from San Diego or somewhere similar would say that the area around Vandenberg sucks. However, like I said, we're both coming from Louisiana, and any positive change will be a welcome one. We've both become disenchanted with the blatant racism that runs rampant in the South, the poor city infrastructure, and the "dumb as we wanna be" culture. The horrendous weather just reinforces that. I'd be happy to never see another triple-digit summer.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-05-2010, 07:31 PM
tni

1 posts, read 4,695 times
Hi I'm a local Realtor (full disclosure),

I have a cool map of local attractions on my website that you might find it interesting: Cool Map | Vandenberg AFB Homes For Sale, Lompoc Santa Maria Orcutt and Vandenberg Village Real Estate Homes Condos (http://vandenbergafbhomes.com/cool-map/ - broken link)

and a video introduction to the area: Vandenberg AFB Information, Mint Properties, Santa Maria Real Estate Expert, REALTOR Tni LeBlanc (805) 938-9950 | Vandenberg AFB Homes For Sale, Lompoc Santa Maria Orcutt and Vandenberg Village Real Estate Homes Condos (http://vandenbergafbhomes.com/vafb/ - broken link)

On the home page you will also find a description and link to some of the local neighborhoods.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Tni

Unread 10-05-2010, 09:45 PM

5,500 posts, read 6,063,751 times
For what it's worth, you'll be living between two of the nicest towns in the States: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara. Plenty of exploring for you to do in wine country and further afield.
You'll be surprised at how cool it can get in CA. People's expectations are of a warm place. It's not. It's very temperate. Inland, the temps can soar during summer, but for the most part Lompoc gets ocean breezes and it's generally cooler. The area around Vandenberg and Orcutt are probably the best places to live in the area.

Unread 10-11-2010, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,385 times
hey tni...
do you by chance have any sect 8 rentals in orcutt area? we have great rental references..& no pets..im 26 with an 8 y/o daughter. thanks!

Unread 10-12-2010, 01:47 PM

3,337 posts, read 3,880,180 times
Congratulations on your move. Wherever you end up will be HEAVEN compared to Louisiana. And thanks for your service.

Unread 10-14-2010, 11:08 AM

1,152 posts, read 560,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangerthanfiction View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband just received orders for Vandenberg, and we're incredibly excited. We'll be coming from Barksdale AFB, in northwest Louisiana, just outside of Shreveport. We can't stand it here--the weather, the people, the lifestyle, etc.--so this move is long overdue.

We both grew up in mid-sized coastal towns in Florida, and I spent five years in Tampa for college. I've spent a lot of time out west (Utah, New Mexico, Arizona), but I've never been to California.

Anyway, I'm giving you all this background because I'm trying to determine what to expect once we get there. I've read some posts on here about there not being much to do or look at, but after our time in Louisiana, it really won't take much to impress us. Although I wouldn't mind driving to Santa Barbara for things to do, either.

We'll probably end up living on base until we get the lay of the land, but how are the surrounding cities? I've read conflicting opinions about Santa Maria, Lompoc, Orcutt, etc. What are the lifestyles like? Or the atmosphere of each city? We're both fairly young (he's 35, I'm 24), liberal, nonreligious, educated.

I realize that each person's opinion of a place is subjective based on where that person has been already, so I can see how someone from San Diego or somewhere similar would say that the area around Vandenberg sucks. However, like I said, we're both coming from Louisiana, and any positive change will be a welcome one. We've both become disenchanted with the blatant racism that runs rampant in the South, the poor city infrastructure, and the "dumb as we wanna be" culture. The horrendous weather just reinforces that. I'd be happy to never see another triple-digit summer.

Thanks in advance!
Hello!!

You'll love California! From how you describe yourselves, you'll be very pleased.

I'm a California native...born and raised here. Best state in the US of you ask me however I am a bit biased

I live in Santa Barbara, in the north area Goleta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangerthanfiction View Post
Santa Maria, Lompoc, Orcutt, etc. What are the lifestyles like? Or the atmosphere of each city?
Vandenberg Villiage/Lompoc, is a bit windy and sort of ordinary. Lompoc is not the greatest town but I'm not going to knock it. Some families love Lompoc. Santa Maria has it's areas... I have friends in Santa Maria with a gorgeous home and they are great peple, nice neighborhood. But Santa Maria does have it's seedy bad side, gangs, etc.

I know nothing about Orcutt... never been there.

But very near by is Santa Ynez/Solvang. I LOVE this area. Very near to Vandenberg. It is the wine country.... valleys, hills, oak trees, grape vines. It has culture and charm. Look it up. I hope you like good wine!!

Down the hill is Goleta/Santa Barbara. Beautiful and so much to do. Beaches, walking, hiking, sailing, bike riding....and really awesome restaurants.
The atmospere here in the south county (Lompoc is considered north county, SB is south county) is one of a laid back nature, where the rich and not so rich live in harmony. I say that because I'm far from "rich" but I enjoy the cafe's and beauty just as much as any millionaire.
We have great weather. Don't expect too much rain. Even in the winter it is not uncommon to enjoy the sun here. Makes for an interesting Christmas sometimes...when it is sunny! BEing from Florida originally you already know the feeling so it should feel the same in that aspect.

I hope you love it here. Anymore questions please write me or just ask!
When do you move?

-Missy

Unread 11-21-2010, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,171 times
There a Sufi story about a merchant who travels to a town in the Crescent Valley. Outside the city wall is a "greeter." The merchant asks the greeter, "what kind of people live here?" The greeter response, "what kind of people live in the city you come from?" The merchant replies, "They are all very nice, kind to strangers and the poor, they are generous and fun-loving." The greeter says, "You will find the same kind of people here."

A little while later another man shows up at the gate to the city and asks the greeter, "What kind of people live here?" The greeter asks him, "What kind of people live in the city that you come from?" The man replies, "They suck. They are racist and ignorant." The greeter says to him, "You will find the same kind of people here."

You will find what you are looking for in California because you will find people exactly like you. What exactly is the difference between a "racist" and a person who judges millions of southerners they don't even know and decide that they "suck"?

Unread 11-22-2010, 06:57 AM

There's nothing wrong with wanting to live somewhere with people who share your values and ideals. I've lived in the South for two years, and in that time I've met plenty of friends, both native to the area and transplanted. I even write travel guides for a living that tout the draws of the area...and yes, there are plenty. But that doesn't mean that I don't feel out of place here and I'd be happier elsewhere. Your argument has been done to death on these boards--it's part of the human experience to seek out comfort and happiness, and that's exactly what we're doing. I don't wish any ill will upon the South or its residents, I just don't want to be here anymore.

Unread 11-22-2010, 07:13 AM

8,257 posts, read 10,153,636 times
You are moving to one of the nicest places in the USA. The California Central Coast is magnificent! The Lompioc area has valley after valley of wildflowers in the spring.Santa Barbara has shopping, colleges and nightlife. For 50 miles in either direction of Lompoc you may sample some of the finest wines America has to offer. San Luis Obispo, in my opinion, is just about the nicest place in America to live. I have been to hundreds of farmers markets across this country and none compare to Thursday nights in SLO! Beaches. Missions. Museums.Nightlife. Cuisine from around the world.A short drive to deserts,mountains, redwoods and metropolitan LA. If a person cant find something to occupy thier time on the Central Coast,it's because they aren't trying. Good luck with your move and enjoy one of the finest areas in America!

Unread 11-22-2010, 10:32 AM

Thanks Capt. Dan and everyone else who contributed valuable responses. Moving day is drawing nearer! I was pleasantly surprised to discover that one of my favorite movies, "Sideways," takes place and was filmed in the immediate area. We watched it a few weeks after he got his orders and took in the scenery. We're really looking forward to getting in the car and exploring the area on the weekends. Tni, thank you for the helpful map and information. We're living on base to begin with, but we'll probably look into buying towards the end of his career (only 5 years left until retirement). We'll be doing plenty of research in the meantime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California