U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:28 PM

50,056 posts, read 42,397,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
lol. All you get here is red and blue comments. People are so easily divided into mindless drones. Why even bother coming here to debate? No one ever changes their minds and they just peddle bull**** til they are blue or red in the face.

Brown is a young 72, McCain is a corpse!
Brown is old and looks old!
Republicans suck!
Democrats are evil!
RAH rah BLAH blah

lol I find it funny...been reading through all the threads. It's just pathetic really.
But it is what keeps these threads interesting, until it gets personal, by calling Red or Blues diragatory (spelling) names.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 08:57 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,422,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
lol. All you get here is red and blue comments. People are so easily divided into mindless drones. Why even bother coming here to debate? No one ever changes their minds and they just peddle bull**** til they are blue or red in the face.

Brown is a young 72, McCain is a corpse!
Brown is old and looks old!
Republicans suck!
Democrats are evil!
RAH rah BLAH blah

lol I find it funny...been reading through all the threads. It's just pathetic really.
Absolutely true -- BUT, this is virtual Bar-Stool sitting (that's the real meaning of BS, isn't it?) ... opinionate, pontificate, illuminate, ruminate, -- and, most important: laugh your a** off

Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 PM

993 posts, read 934,588 times
hmm if brown is elected someone shoot him with an aging gun(because the military has them ) and make him really old so he dies from old age.
Then we can have a new election and ban whitman from running

Old 10-03-2010, 11:45 PM

96 posts, read 147,907 times
There is no way I would ever vote for Jerry Brown (I was here when he was "Governor Moonbeam" before), but it has nothing to do with his age. I don't feel that 72 is too old for public office - with age comes experience, maturity, life lessons and, hopefully, wisdom. So, at age 72 I say go for it - I just don't agree with him at all philosophically or politically. I do not think we will come out of this current mess successfully with him in a position of leadership.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:08 AM

3,814 posts, read 1,925,450 times
I'll be totally honest, as an admitted "conservative," I was, until recently, on the fence on whom to vote for. I am voting for Meg Whitman and I'll explain why: The whole issue with the maid. Obviously, to anyone with a sense of anything, realize it was a non issue. So why is it an issue? The liberals made it so. Brown may not be responsible for it and probably wasn't, however, his party was.

Now, of course, what does this have to do with his age? Not alot, except, I just find it appalling, people complain about "X." Until X confronts THEM. Then, every excuse in the book comes out.

Bottom line? Jerry Brown is WAY to old, to be the head of the greatest and most powerful state of the union. But, if he is your cup of tea, you will fight, lie, cheat, steal, and coneive your point into anything.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:20 AM

19,229 posts, read 16,585,451 times
I read all this back-and-forth and just shake my head. When I left the working world of California politics and retired two years earlier than planned, I thought it was because knowing how the system really worked offended and disgusted me, and it did, and I'd finally had enough after almost 20 years of it, and I had. But I was only partially right.

Another part was that after 45 years of working I was tired and had finally had enough. However, a major factor was a woefully ignorant and uncaring public. I say uncaring because for all the blather and passion; the left-right, red-blue finger-pointing and blaming, the bottom line is that the preponderance of the populace hasn't idea-one of what goes on or what the issues really are, much less where their elected leaders (and that's a gift) place in the dysfunction that is state government. They don't take the time to educate themselves and they vote mostly based upon emotions and the last few sound-bites they hear or the recommendations of slick slates and mailers put out by special interests and the results are predictable and tragic. Outside of the Capitol and major media markets, most people don't have a clue and even within them, those truly knowledgeable are few.

Of course, there are those who will dispute this and that's fine. I'd be worried if there weren't, and I dare say there are more informed people per capita on this site than in the general public. But the numbers are still relatively small. Why else would the people stand for the abysmal state of the state yet keep returning the same career politicians and sycophants to office? Term limits have only strengthened the choke-hold of staffers, special interests and their lobbyists and when a politician does run out of time, his or her district is likely to elect their husband/wife, father/mother, brother/sister. aunt/uncle, son or daughter to replace them. Labels; Democrat/Republican, Green/Libertarian, liberal/conservative are more important than who the person is or what policies they espouse, much less true priorities that need to be addressed. What kind of sense does that make?

What it is, is crazy-making and disheartening! I finally opted out, as did my wife who was also in the arena, and for many of the same reasons.

And now, as befits my age, I'm gingerly stepping down from my soapbox. We will now return you to your regularly scheduled programming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California