Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:30 PM

24,507 posts, read 33,292,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
I'm assuming by your response that you didn't read the link I posted. Old timers call it Santana Winds (hot wind) others call it Santa Ana. Hope the link I posted helps end the discussion on which to call it.
Yes, I read it. And I call them Santa Ana winds which affects a large portion of Southern California (including Northridge and Porter Ranch).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 07:45 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,246 times
I've never heard them called Santana winds either. I've always heard them being called the Santa Ana's.......I think if I said "Santana" ...I'd be corrected in a heartbeat. too funny . Be it right or wrong...most people in So Cal know what your talking about when you say Santa Ana's. Even my Grandparents call them that.

Now...back on topic please.....California rocks!!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:59 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,543,963 times
California has a lot to offer, and especially where I live right now, the weather tops my list of thing to love! No matter where I decide to go, I have to give up something - it's going to be too hot, too cold, too humid...

I love it that I can go out any night of the week and find something to do that's relatively inexpensive. Of course, then there is the fact that I have several book stores, several Target stores, several JC Penney stores... I'm spoiled rotten in having so many choices!

I also love looking at the mountains and couldn't imagine living where it's completely flat. Whenever I go out of town I'm reminded why this is called the L.A. Basin!

I love it that airplanes taking off from LAX fly out over the ocean to gain altitude before they swing back around (this happened when I went to Florida), and I love the lights from an airplane at night.

I also love the desert winds (I'm staying out of the Santana/Santa Ana argument! ), although as I get older the dry air really bothers my sinuses!

There is a lot to love about living here; that's why although I whine and moan about the traffic, etc. I don't know if I could ever move away for good. Southern California is home, no matter how crowded it may get.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:26 AM

18 posts, read 50,838 times
happy words from southern californians, it makes a nice change on this forum.
I am desperate to get my head together and get back to so-cal. i miss it sooo badly.

i love:-

the people, everyone i met over there has been so freindly (maybe it's just my english accent!!)
i love the beach
i love the weather... who doesn't want year round sunshine?
i love sunset strip and red rock bar!!!
i love the whole laid back lifestyle, late night and later mornings!!
i love mexican food... just can't get decent stuff in the UK
i love the freeway... even when it's backed up... the sun is shining and Kroq is on... brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.
i love the state parks.. dana point especially...

so one offer me a decent job and i'll be back!!!

who needs the english weather

Old 07-13-2007, 12:37 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,029 times
This is a great post, Im glad I took the time to read it, b/c I almost forgot the things I do love about CA. One thing I love is the food, from my experience, it's hard to find veggie restaurants in other states.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
So tell me, why do you love California?
One of my favorite things about California is the scenery.

It took this photo back in Feb., 2004.
Looking southwest over the San Fernando Valley from the top of Mission Point (ele. 2,771 feet) in Granada Hills.
A small portion of the Pacific Ocean can be seen just left of center.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:02 AM

One of my favorite areas is Chatsworth, with the Simi Hills in the background (as seen in the photo) and lots of hiking and horse trails.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:20 PM

I was going through my computer looking for Chatsworth photos (for the "Chatsworth 1955" thread) and came across the photo of the evening sky in my back yard...

Old 07-14-2007, 02:18 AM

One of my brothers once owned an airplane. I went up with him a few times and brought my camera with me.
He is a good photo taken in Jan., 1985.

Looking southwest. The southern part of the San Fernando Valley is in the foreground and the Santa Monica Mountains just behind it. Beyond the mountains left of center is Beverly Hills, to the right of that is West L.A., Century City and Brentwood. I think Santa Monica is on the extreme right, but don't know for sure. The Pacific Ocean is, of course, in the distance.

On the upper left is the Palos Verdes penninsula and past that is Santa Catalina Island.

It was a nice, clear day with slight Santa Ana winds blowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California