Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:37 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,681 times

Advertisements

in Arizona... So much for all those green jobs that keep coming to California. The funny thing about this is the industrial park the business is located at has PLENTY of empty industrial buildings for lease around it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 01:23 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
As the article stated though, the solar industry is in Arizona. Power One has been around here for 40 years now, long before the green movement got started. Arizona has decided that they want the industry in their state and are spending the money to make it happen. As the article stated they want to be the Silicon valley of Solar. From what I am seeing Power One wants to be relavent in the Solar industry and to do that they need to have a presence in Arizona. For Power One it is a decision of joining the party or getting left behind. I get your point of wanting to keep jobs here. As you stated, plenty of places to rent here. The decision to move isn't based on availability of space, it is based on being where the action is.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
As the article stated though, the solar industry is in Arizona. Power One has been around here for 40 years now, long before the green movement got started. Arizona has decided that they want the industry in their state and are spending the money to make it happen.
Arizona is the center of solar manufacturing? This is news to me and apparently even Arizona is surprised to learn about this! Ventura County (red) Star asserts this without any facts to back that claim up... Where did they come up with the idea that Arizona is the solar industry leader? Just because it's sunny there?

Also, wasn't California supposed to be the high-tech leader? Aren't solar panels high tech enough? One of the largest solar panel makers was located in Camarillo, CA (right next to Power One).

Quote:
The decision to move isn't based on availability of space, it is based on being where the action is.
If this is so, then why did the very large local solar panel manufacturer which resided in Camarillo for decades literally just around the corner from Power One (!) expand in Oregon and cut jobs in California??? That isn't Arizona to me.

More to the point, it is my opinion that Ventura County Star made that Arizona claim to divert the core issue that California is increasingly bad for business and more jobs, including green ones, are leaving California. I think Power One expanded elsewhere because California is bad for business, not that Arizona was supposedly the "center of solar".

Last edited by jkbatca; 10-06-2010 at 02:08 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 02:07 PM

By the way, I just love the Brown hypocrisy of him stupidly mouthing "to fix the economy we'll get more green jobs", while at the exact same time, he and his democrat legislators are happily watching green jobs sail out of California as we speak. Brown and the democrats support the same CARB and other CA regulations which causes business to leave California...

Old 10-06-2010, 02:17 PM

106 posts, read 273,334 times
Green jobs don't matter, global warming is a myth and liberal lie right?

Old 10-06-2010, 03:23 PM

Solar Companies in Arizona - AZ

Welcome to AriSEIA...The Arizona Solar Energy Industries Association

Southern Arizona Solar Companies

Arizona Solar Center - Your Guide to Solar and Other Renewable Energy Sources in Arizona

Press Release - State of Arizona Goes Green with Three Solar Installations

Maybe want to visit Arizona and see what is happening out there. Not sure why anyone would move a solar company to Oregon. Even people from other nations are building places in Arizona. One of the hot topics in the state is the Solar industry. The reason that Power One is opening a location is because Arizona is now the leader or will be soon. That is just a fact and the people of Arizona are happy about that.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Solar Companies in Arizona - AZ

Welcome to AriSEIA...The Arizona Solar Energy Industries Association

Southern Arizona Solar Companies

Arizona Solar Center - Your Guide to Solar and Other Renewable Energy Sources in Arizona

Press Release - State of Arizona Goes Green with Three Solar Installations

Maybe want to visit Arizona and see what is happening out there. Not sure why anyone would move a solar company to Oregon. Even people from other nations are building places in Arizona. One of the hot topics in the state is the Solar industry. The reason that Power One is opening a location is because Arizona is now the leader or will be soon. That is just a fact and the people of Arizona are happy about that.
Your links indicate that either (a) quoted industries are solar _installers_ which are not the same as solar manufacturers or (b) there are _some_ solar manufacturers in Arizona. I agree with both but also none of these links dispute my assertion that Arizona is neither a "leader" nor "hub" of solar manufacturing either. So what I've said earlier still holds.

However, I can certainly see why all the aforementioned companies plus the ones listed in the links chose Arizona over California, and that is the message I'm trying to get across.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415 Native View Post
Actually, for my original point of my message, it's not even relevant if green jobs matter or not. The point is even if green jobs mattered, California isn't doing much to keep them in state anyways. In fact, California state gov't is doing all it can to drive any green jobs away from the state as much as possible.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:38 AM

The truth is that their just are not a lot of green jobs anyway. Not an industry that will replace many out of work people.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415 Native View Post
pretty much have that one right, especially the Global Warning part.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California