Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:24 AM

106 posts, read 273,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm not so sure 415 Native. Didn't you see "Reefer Madness" where a couple puffs of marijuana turned people into homicidal killers?

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 11:29 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Because, as kind hearted and dream driven person once said:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/16151424-post5.html
I find your post interesting. It implies the "conservative" Texas feeds its corporations, but not the poor. I lived in TX for 6 years, and have been here in CA for 7. Something I frequently ask myself is "what do I get for the extra money I pay in CA?" Texas actually takes very good care of its citizens. It's a very well run state. You can disagree with the predominant political view in TX, and that's fine. But please explain what it is that CA does for its citizens that TX does not?

Myself, I lean slightly towards liberal social values but with fiscal responsibility. As an independent and moderate, it's easy for me to see the virtues of both sides; as well as the vices. It seems to bother the hell out of the far left to think that a conservative state like TX can actually be doing a good job. Well they are. Reality is that CA is not well run, and certainly doesn't lead the nation in taking care of its citizens. People live here mostly for the nice weather and natural beauty. If TX had the same weather, beautiful coastline, topography, and scenic natural areas as CA does, CA would face an exodus of epic proportions. We put up with the BS tax and spend without extra benefit in CA because we enjoy all of the things about the state that have nothing at all to do with the government, and everything to do with mother nature.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:38 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415 Native View Post
Yeah, that's it. Play naive, as long as you play nice and you won't be tossed off the forum for the 58th time.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I find your post interesting. It implies the "conservative" Texas feeds its corporations, but not the poor. I lived in TX for 6 years, and have been here in CA for 7. Something I frequently ask myself is "what do I get for the extra money I pay in CA?" Texas actually takes very good care of its citizens. It's a very well run state. You can disagree with the predominant political view in TX, and that's fine. But please explain what it is that CA does for its citizens that TX does not?

Myself, I lean slightly towards liberal social values but with fiscal responsibility. As an independent and moderate, it's easy for me to see the virtues of both sides; as well as the vices. It seems to bother the hell out of the far left to think that a conservative state like TX can actually be doing a good job. Well they are. Reality is that CA is not well run, and certainly doesn't lead the nation in taking care of its citizens. People live here mostly for the nice weather and natural beauty. If TX had the same weather, beautiful coastline, topography, and scenic natural areas as CA does, CA would face an exodus of epic proportions. We put up with the BS tax and spend without extra benefit in CA because we enjoy all of the things about the state that have nothing at all to do with the government, and everything to do with mother nature.
Originally Posted by 18Montclair
"We are obligated by our morals and sense of goodness to help them."

You get moral goodness for the extra you pay in California.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:44 AM

106 posts, read 273,355 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's it. Play naive, as long as you play nice and you won't be tossed off the forum for the 58th time.
Oh I get it, because I think you're a moron you want to accuse me of being another person that thinks you're a moron. Whatever you say LOL, in case you haven't noticed nobody here likes you. I've gotten a dozen PM's regarding you and to ignore you. So "Yeah that's it, keep acting like you're not a troll". You spend more time in the Bay Area forum pretending you know San Francisco and bashing Oakland,Vallejo and Richmond, than the Orange County or So cal forum where you claim to live. You have some screws lose in your brain.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:54 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
They have had a decriminalization law in effect since 8/2009

Quote:
[LEFT]The federal decriminalization law, which took effect Aug. 21, calls for suspects caught with small drug quantities to appear before a prosecutor, who must determine whether the possession was for personal use or trafficking. Mexico's government contends the statute merely codifies what already was a legal reality.
The limits include 5 grams for marijuana (about three to six joints, depending on size) and 500 milligrams of cocaine (roughly five doses, or "lines"). Those found to be users must be released with a referral to health authorities, though it's unclear how many referrals are made or whether they work.
At the same time, the law gives Mexico's state and local police more drug-fighting authority. For instance, the measure empowers them to prosecute street drug dealers, a job previously limited to the federal government. It also calls for a central operations center housing drug-enforcement units at all levels in each state. And it toughens penalties - four to eight years in prison - for anyone caught selling even tiny amounts of narcotics.
Finally, the measure allows one year for Mexico's state and local authorities to adopt corresponding personal-use laws and three years to implement them.
But nearly half a year into the new law, many legalization advocates view Mexico's change more as a setback than a victory.

Read more: Drug law changes little for life in Mexico
[/LEFT]
however, it doesn't seem like it's had much impact in any direction and with the cloudy nature between state and federal enforcement and local v federal laws there can be an issue (almost reverse of the US where states are trying to loosen and the feds are holding tight)

either way, it's sad that MX continues to dive deeper into 3rd world status while carrying strong and hypocritical opinions on the actions of others ...... we can be big brother scapegoat, but that wont fix the hundreds of things that are wrong down there, the foremost being the generations of corruption

Old 10-11-2010, 11:58 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It seems logical that legalizing marijuana in California would decrease marijuana production in Mexico and thus cause a net loss of profit to the Mexican marijuana industry. I believe that is what the objection is, although some may claim they believe increased drug use in California might cause increased drug use in Mexico. That sounds ridiculous to me, except as an excuse to object to legalization in California without sounding like a sycophant to the Mexican narcotrafficantes.
Right after 911 drug trafficing was shut off from mexico to the USA, The cartels began targeting the Mexicans with a cheap form of heroin or something like that. thats probably what they are thinking and the reduced money coming into the corrupt government from the cartel.
Maybe their affraid the cartell will just turn legit and move to California.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415 Native View Post
You spend more time in the Bay Area forum pretending you know San Francisco and bashing Oakland,Vallejo and Richmond, than the Orange County or So cal forum where you claim to live.
Umm, I have residences in both NorCal and SoCal.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
They have had a decriminalization law in effect since 8/2009

however, it doesn't seem like it's had much impact in any direction and with the cloudy nature between state and federal enforcement and local v federal laws there can be an issue (almost reverse of the US where states are trying to loosen and the feds are holding tight)

either way, it's sad that MX continues to dive deeper into 3rd world status while carrying strong and hypocritical opinions on the actions of others ...... we can be big brother scapegoat, but that wont fix the hundreds of things that are wrong down there, the foremost being the generations of corruption
Mexico is the underachieving brother no one wants to admit is in the family.

That being said, there's no solid proof that legalization will do anything besides give people the ability to smoke pot, and nothing more.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:05 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
Because, as kind hearted and dream driven person once said:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/16151424-post5.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair
"We are obligated by our morals and sense of goodness to help them."

You get moral goodness for the extra you pay in California.
What moral goodness? What moral guide are you using to define goodness? You know, there are some who would claim that CA's taxes and high cost of living is a large part of the reason there are so many poor to begin with. That's like shooting someone and then claiming moral goodness when you administer first aid.

But if you can cite concrete examples of what the citizens of CA get that the citizens of TX do not, please share them. Frankly, I can't think of anything.

So yeah, this relates back to Prop 19. That money won't put a dent in our debt. Furthermore, it's almost certainly going to make the state less favorable for businesses. Does anyone think businesses will not consider this? When businesses leave, the state gets less money, and more people are unemployed.

Of course, none of this will happen anyway. It isn't going to pass. The feds will block it if it does. And the progressive sector of CA really can't complain if the feds do block it, because to argue States Rights put you in bed with some of the groups you despise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California