Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:51 PM

63 posts, read 128,095 times

Advertisements

It is not a big surprise but california has 3 cities in the top 10 worst job markets in the country.

Worries about the sluggish jobs recovery continue to nag at the economy but there are glimmers of hope — even in the worst job markets in America, according to the latest jobs report from job-listing site Indeed.com.

America's top 10 worst job market cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 10:08 PM

398 posts, read 1,328,689 times
L.A. has a 44% higher cost of living than the U.S average?? Thats freakin insane...

Old 10-13-2010, 10:20 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,139,664 times
Good to see San Diego, San Francisco and San Jose didn't make the list.

I wasn't expecting Riverside to be on there though. That seems random. I was thinking it would be Fresno because it is "the Detroit of the west" according to Meg.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:24 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,840,039 times
I think the job market in Fresno is worse than most of those cities. The lower cost of living [for CA] might have kept it off the list. I know that Sacramento's job market is better, at least for professional-type jobs. Not sure about the methodology of the list, Fresno's official UE rate is generally quite a bit higher than most of those listed.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:55 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,012,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbay sux View Post
This is misleading because Oakland is not on there. Oakland is the most violent city in California if not the U.S. Mr. Fantastic pointed this out, that Falluja Iraq is safer than Oakland. That should affect the job market one would think.

People come here hoping to receive knowledgable information about different places, not to hear somebody ignorantly rant over and over about a place. Based on all your other posts on other threads it's obvious that for some reason you've got some huge personal issue with the East Bay and Oakland specifically. I'm not even from Oakland and your posts irritate me! Did the East Bay steal your candy when you were a baby? Did it call your mommy a bad name? Seriously, what's the deal? Get a life and quit trolling.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:38 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,590,240 times
^ I agree. Although irritation isnt the most apt description for the way i feel. Im more curious of why those two do the things they do. Its funny to me.

As much as they rant over and over, they are met with an equalizer. And their trolling is reduced to nothing. It becomes all in vain.

Contrary to "eastbay sux" belief, Oakland's Market was always expected to remain the strongest market in the U.S., during the recession.

About the article, it is very informational and is a great resource for future threads.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:00 PM

29 posts, read 59,059 times
Sacramento has more jobs than Fresno? "Detroit of the West?" Sac would not be too far behind. Sacramento even has more people in the surrounding area, and a higher COL. People their job markets are about the same. Those two cities are very similar.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:34 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,139,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite83 View Post
Sacramento has more jobs than Fresno? "Detroit of the West?" Sac would not be too far behind. Sacramento even has more people in the surrounding area, and a higher COL. People their job markets are about the same. Those two cities are very similar.
Meg Whitman said something like a week or two ago comparing Fresno to Detroit.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 PM

3,321 posts, read 7,935,077 times
Florida has three as well. This list is a joke since 60% are from two states. It has ESRI listed as a major employer hiring for Riverside. ESRI is not a major company. 2,700 employees is major...wtf?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:49 AM

29 posts, read 59,059 times
Well I hope that if Meg won, I'd hope she would try to help Fresno and not wait decades like Michigan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California