Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 05:30 PM

38,869 posts, read 22,854,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregJ View Post
Somebody a couple posts back mentioned the traffic circle. Here's some news that might upset old time Long Beach'ers: the city is installing traffic lights at the Traffic Circle! Yikes! There was an article in the paper a few months back that said the traffic circle is the single highest intersection for traffic accidents in the entire city! It is pretty treacherous, though.

For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, the traffic circle predates all those new trendy traffic management circles you see around now. It goes back to the 1920's when Pacific Coast Highway was THE main thoroughfare between LA and San Diego. The circle intersects PCH, Lakewood Blvd and two other streets. In the center is a huge lawn with palm trees that back in the 50's and before was the big teen hangout spot in the area. As legend goes, kids used to park on the inside curb and hang out in the circle on Friday nights. It's actually big enough to hold a football field. The SE corner of the traffic circle was where the Circle Drive-In was for decades. It was demolished in the 80's to make way for a miserable office building. I have fond memories of fogged up windows at the Circle Drive In!

Long Beach was and still is an absolutely great place to live. What a great town!
I avoid driving on the traffic circle if I can possibly avoid it. My most recent attempt was going from Lakewood Blvd. south to PCH north. I was sweating bullets! I will usually drive on the Outer Traffic Circle, which is actually controlled by traffic signals! Greg, I worked in one of those office buildings you describe above, on the site of where the Circle Drive-In used to be (and the fogged-up windows ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 08:07 PM

97 posts, read 578,908 times
Here's a cool detour for LB'ites: try taking the AquaLink watertaxi from Alamitos Bay to the Queen Mary or Aquarium. It only runs on weekends during the off season. Board at noon behind Khoury's Restaurant. The trip takes about 30 minutes and goes between the islands in the bay to dock at the bow of the Queen Mary.

After a pit stop, it goes over to the Aquarium and lays up for about 30 minutes (plenty of time to wander around) and then heads back to Alamitos Bay. All this for $3 round trip! Take your camera, the views are world class!

(No, I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce. Just a guy that loves his hometown).

Last edited by GregJ; 10-01-2006 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 10-04-2006, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 13,000 times
Default Long Beach is Only a Haven for the Wealthy

I work at the University and have a decent job but I cannot afford the rent in any of the safer areas. I live in downtown where it is crime-ridden and where there's NO parking. You have to compete with families who seem to be living 20 to each household with each member owning their own car! I am looking to relocate.

I love the bike trail and other nooks and crannies that LB offers but most of my check goes to pay for a one room apartment and at this rate I will never, ever, be able to afford housing.

In all of the planning going on for more (expensive) housing, no one is looking out for the working poor. I am a college graduate and I consider myself a part of this particular class and there are many people like me.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:03 AM

64 posts, read 489,214 times
Default My childhood in Long Beach

Around January of 1940, as a boy of 15, I took a part time job as theater usher for the Victor theatre on the Pike in Long Beach, CA. As was my habit, I stopped at a little hamburger stand for a coke and hamburger. I was grabbed with a choke hold from behind by a Long Beach Police Detective. Losing my hamburger, this detective roughed me up. The stand’s owner came to my defense saying this boy has done nothing wrong. The Detective threatened to close him down if he didn’t keep quiet. I was being used as a scapegoat for an excuse for this detective to come by our home to “investigate” me and visit his friend, my sister-in-law while my brother worked.
A short time later on my way to work at this same theater, I saw a group of people running toward the beach, Out of curiosity, I went with them to see what had happened. I never found out. I was seized by a police detective putting my arm in a hammer lock behind my back. A uniformed police officer asked what had this boy done? He was admonished by the detective not to worry about it. Being a farm boy having to do heavy manual labor on the farm from age 10 to 14, I merely straightened out my arm breaking loose. Had I been alone, I am sure I would have been killed as the detective threatened to “break my skull.”
I already was asked to quit my first job as a theatre usher at the Tracy Theatre a few blocks down the street because of harassment by this same police detective making inquiries about me. I loved my job because the shows were free. I enjoyed “Lady Be Good” and “Ecstasy” with Hedy Lamarr.
At that time the police were mostly controlled by the Mafia.
After I returned from the War in Dec 1945, I kived there until 1947 when I left to another city to get away from police terrorism.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 11,951 times
LB Rocks, but don't tell everyone let them move to the OC and stay out of my new home town.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Police State in LB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Remember View Post
Around January of 1940, as a boy of 15, I took a part time job as theater usher for the Victor theatre on the Pike in Long Beach, CA. As was my habit, I stopped at a little hamburger stand for a coke and hamburger. I was grabbed with a choke hold from behind by a Long Beach Police Detective. Losing my hamburger, this detective roughed me up. The stand’s owner came to my defense saying this boy has done nothing wrong. The Detective threatened to close him down if he didn’t keep quiet. I was being used as a scapegoat for an excuse for this detective to come by our home to “investigate” me and visit his friend, my sister-in-law while my brother worked.
A short time later on my way to work at this same theater, I saw a group of people running toward the beach, Out of curiosity, I went with them to see what had happened. I never found out. I was seized by a police detective putting my arm in a hammer lock behind my back. A uniformed police officer asked what had this boy done? He was admonished by the detective not to worry about it. Being a farm boy having to do heavy manual labor on the farm from age 10 to 14, I merely straightened out my arm breaking loose. Had I been alone, I am sure I would have been killed as the detective threatened to “break my skull.”
I already was asked to quit my first job as a theatre usher at the Tracy Theatre a few blocks down the street because of harassment by this same police detective making inquiries about me. I loved my job because the shows were free. I enjoyed “Lady Be Good” and “Ecstasy” with Hedy Lamarr.
At that time the police were mostly controlled by the Mafia.
After I returned from the War in Dec 1945, I kived there until 1947 when I left to another city to get away from police terrorism.

Wow, kind of hard to believe this type of stuff went on back then! But then, the Long Beach P.D. has been known to generate controversy. I could remember back in the early 90s when the City of Long Beach was considering replacing its own police department with the L.A. County Sheriff's department. I wonder what would have happened if that really took place?

Old 10-07-2006, 03:39 PM

Default Rockin' Long Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by I hate cute usernams View Post
LB Rocks, but don't tell everyone let them move to the OC and stay out of my new home town.
Well, I think most people who aren't from California don't want to move here because of the earthquakes. The last bad one to strike the Long Beach area was in 1933. I've spoken with an elderly couple who go to my church who can remember what happened the day of that earthquake. A major disruption to everyone's lives, to put it mildly, especially since that was during the Great Depression.

Just remember when caught in an earthquake of any magnitude, you first need to KEEP CALM! Then remember to duck, cover and hold.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:32 AM

263 posts, read 757,297 times
Long Beach is o.k. I prefer the towns of Santa Monica up to Malibu!

Old 11-30-2007, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,428 times
What do you know about Traffic Circle? My son in law was in a motorcycle accident there on 11/14/07 and we need witnesses. He has no memory of it.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:56 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
L.B. is a great city, and Belmont Shores is one of the best (if not the best) walkable urban style neighborhood in SoCal.

LBC is Sublime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California