U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 12:19 PM

10 posts, read 48,780 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My family and I are looking to relocate out of Wisconsin. My mother has always wanted to live in California, although Las Vegas Nevada is her second choice.
We were thinking about relocating to Bakersfield, CA - but are unsure. I work as a Realtor/Mortgage Broker, my boyfriend works at Home Depot. So, as you see, we don't have a great deal of money. Any suggestions? We're looking to move as soon as possible.

Thank you all,

LisaMarie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 01:38 PM

12 posts, read 41,197 times
Hello!
And welcome. Can you give more details about the climate, type of area, interests, or anything that would narrow it down? Also what you like about Bakersfield?

Old 07-05-2007, 07:23 PM

23 posts, read 69,632 times
Default Interested In Central Cali?

Hello, Imhetrick...Im actually glad your family is lookin at the central valley because most people who move to california go to L.A. or S.F. central california is the second most affordable place in the state before the death valley desert area east of L.A. but its too hot in that area, Bakersfield, is a big town, has many shopping options but when i pass throught there Bakersfield is just sprawl, just like L.A. also bakersfield is one of the nations fastest growing cities....Are you lookin for a small town or large city? Central California has many options, you can choose Bakersfield, Fresno, Visalia, Sacramento, or Stockton, these are the largest cities here, or small towns, from Merced to Hanford (where i live) also Tulare, Porterville, and theres many small uniques towns here.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:03 PM

10 posts, read 48,780 times
Thank you all very much for your input!

I guess what we're looking for is an affordable place, one with opportunities (the legal kind), decent area, and big enough that everything is nearby.
We're from a small 35,000 city - both the boyfriend and I have to commute quite a distance to work. A bigger city would be a nice change - hopefully.
Also, I suffer a lot from allergies - what is the air quality like and where would be the best place for someone like me?
I appreciate any help any of you can give me.

LisaMarie

Old 07-05-2007, 08:24 PM

23 posts, read 69,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhetrick View Post
Thank you all very much for your input!

I guess what we're looking for is an affordable place, one with opportunities (the legal kind), decent area, and big enough that everything is nearby.
We're from a small 35,000 city - both the boyfriend and I have to commute quite a distance to work. A bigger city would be a nice change - hopefully.
Also, I suffer a lot from allergies - what is the air quality like and where would be the best place for someone like me?
I appreciate any help any of you can give me.

LisaMarie
Well the town i live in has 55,000 residents, it has everything, retail, dining, it has its good neighborhood in north side of town, Hanford is still affordable, are you looking for a house or apartment? For a house that is newly built its like $230,000, in a nice neighborhood, and nice apartments, with monthly rent from $500 to $900, way cheaper than apartment rent in L.A. or S.F. that are $1,000 or more....Bakersfield, probably has eveything you need, but the downside of the valley is that it has one of the worst air quality in the U.S. even worst than L.A. cause it's a enclosed valley sorrounded by high moutains, so lots of smog, pollution and cow manure can be smelled in small towns here, even in Bakersfield. Also summer is HORRIBLE, today it was 110 and tomorrow its goin to be 114, winter is nice, but sometimes too much fog...but any place you want to move has its flaws and its good things...so i dont know if the valley is a good place for you, valley residents are imenent to allegies, it also has the nations highest number of kids with asthma caused my allergies in the air.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:46 AM

25,669 posts, read 24,298,688 times
Guess it would depend on what part of WI you would be coming from. I've looked at real estate in southern areas out there (Madison, Middleton, Stoughton, Janesville, etc) and their home prices, the cost of living and average wages are pretty comparable to many parts of Az here. But since I havent researched anything north of Madison, dont know what to tell you. I can tell you though, that the cost of living in Calif is above what it is here in Az...but then, wages match (or try to, lol) the cost of living out in southern Calif. As a native of Calif, I really was shocked to see how high it is now, in comparison to what it used to be when I lived there, which was most of my life.
Guess what Im saying is that it might be wise to have a substantial savings to move out there, unless you have family/friends that can help you get a jump start for a couple of months. Also, you can check out some areas by means of ther newspapers (classified section) online. newsvoyager.com can pretty much lead you to (almost) any newspaper in any state, if that helps.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:43 AM

12 posts, read 41,197 times
Smile Less Expensive places in CA

I've lived in CA about 40 years. I think the Central Valley is beautiful, true it's hot, but I know a couple of families who moved there, stayed a few years, sold and did well. It's much more affordable. HOWEVER Call the police dept. for the neighborhood(s) you consider. Do Not rely on the statistics online. There is a lot of gang activity and crime in some areas. Salinas is one of them. All the best to you. I've had a Wonderful life, and lived in many CA cities.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:47 AM

375 posts, read 1,560,762 times
Air Quality is not good in the Valley or S. CA. We have major allergies and asthma problems.

Funny, I'm looking at places to live in Wisc. We like Monona, Cambridge and Middleton. We were just there for a week. We attended the Rhythm and Booms via boat. Rhythm & Booms : Home Page
We will most likely go back during xmas to look again if we don't move back before school starts.

If the heat doesn't bother you, I would look in Arizona. Also Check out Reno, NV.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:40 PM

6,958 posts, read 19,170,462 times
Come to Mountain Ranch, I'll hire you! Your boyfriend can work at lowes in Jackson, CA or wait for home depot to get their building going.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:54 PM

91 posts, read 109,102 times
Without much money, you will be looking away from the coastal cities. How about Sacramento? It's a capital city and probably closer in pace to WI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or