U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:39 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,436,223 times

Advertisements

El Segundos population is only 16k & most of the city employee salaries (incl cops/firemen) is absolutely discusting. I wish the chief of police would call me up. http://www.laweekly.com/2010-10-14/n...llac-salaries/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 06:46 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,010,644 times
Not surprised. That's a town with tons of business tax income (Chevron, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, etc...) and very few residents to spend it on.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:18 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,945,976 times
Someone called it Bell Segundo in a letter to the Herald.
Perhaps with reference to the police chief's package.

Actually, neither Bell nor ES are unique with respect to retired police taking other gov't jobs while drawing their police "retirement". Double-dipping is rampant with government employees and politicians.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
Someone called it Bell Segundo in a letter to the Herald.
Perhaps with reference to the police chief's package.

Actually, neither Bell nor ES are unique with respect to retired police taking other gov't jobs while drawing their police "retirement". Double-dipping is rampant with government employees and politicians.
More & more people are sick of public employees bull****. Unfortunately though they will continue to steal from the tax payers. The el segundo chief of police (robert turnbull) is a girly girl & the retired chief is a wimp. ES has 22 cops & firemen & thats alot for such a small city. Laguna beach & burbank are crooks too but im quite sure their are many more in ca. The yucaipa city manager (ray casey) recently received a 30k yr increase in pay to bump his annual salary to almost 196k. Yucaipas pop is only 52k.

Last edited by steel7; 10-19-2010 at 10:03 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 08:29 AM

3,162 posts, read 8,636,933 times
This bothers me much less than some of the other high salaries in the news recently. I spend quite a bit of time in ES, and their public safety employees are top notch.

I don't think pay should be based on "amount of work" (crime, murders, fires), but rather on level of skill, training, and preparedness.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:45 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,010,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
This bothers me much less than some of the other high salaries in the news recently. I spend quite a bit of time in ES, and their public safety employees are top notch.
This is true. ESPD operates with military efficiency.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 PM

El Segundo is another corrupt city in ca & the high salaries/pensions are not warranted.
http://publicsafetyproject.org

Old 10-20-2010, 06:45 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,317,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I don't think pay should be based on "amount of work" (crime, murders, fires), but rather on level of skill, training, and preparedness.
You are a government employee?

Pay should be based upon the amount of work done, just like in civil industry. Whatever happened to the concept of "do some work, get paid based upon the amount of work you did?"

It scares the hell out of me that people don't even understand that the amount of pay should be based upon the amount of work done.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Pay should be based upon the amount of work done, just like in civil industry. Whatever happened to the concept of "do some work, get paid based upon the amount of work you did?"
I almost always agree with this. But this is not one of those cases.

In the public sector, very few people are paid based on work done. Granted, you'll "get in trouble" if you don't get work done, but on a day to day basis, most people are paid on a even if work is not as steady.

You don't not pay retail shop employees if no one enters the store that day.

Cook in a restaurant? No patrons? You don't not get paid. Waitress? You don't not get paid (okay, waitress is a bad example because of tips.)

Emergency room doctor? No major incidents that night? You don't NOT get paid.

Same goes for public service.

When law enforcement agencies try to base performance on amount of work done ("quotas" - which are illegal, by the way), the public goes mad.

ESPD and FD to great work, when they have to. They have some of the best relationships with local agencies of any in the area. These guys (and gals) are paid WELL, for a ****ty job, which they do very well.

Fire and Police employees are highly trained, very specialized individuals. THEIR salaries are not the issue.

Now, you wouldn't hear one peep out of me if they were run-of-the-mill cubical employees, but they simply are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It scares the hell out of me that people don't even understand that the amount of pay should be based upon the amount of work done.
Sorry to scare you, but you're still missing the point. No one said they should be paid for less work. Give me a break. Just because crime is low, doesn't mean officers do less work.

Short of industries with billable hours, what jobs pay "as work is completed"?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:52 AM

Above, In the public sector, very few people are paid based on work done. -- should be In the private sector, very few people are paid based on work done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California