U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 9,066 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am considering moving to California next summer and I'm trying to find out what are the safer areas to move to. I am trying to chose from LA county, OC, and SD county. I have 2 children, one that is going into 9th grade and the other that is going into 6th. My main concern is moving somewhere safe. I am leaning toward somewhere in LA county but from what I hear and read it is not safe. Can someone give me some suggestions? I work from home so commuting won't be a problem. I plan on renting a house first and I have a budget of 4-5K a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,281 times
I would NEVER live in LA. The Inland Empire is great, and is family oriented. Diamond Bar and east of Diamond Bar (Rancho, Ontario, North Fontana, Upland, San Dimas, Glendora). Some parts of Pasadena are great too. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:52 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,985,331 times
Calabasas, Agoura Hills, Malibu

Old 07-05-2007, 06:19 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,955,447 times
#4 safest city in America is Irvine, CA
#8 is Mission Viejo, CA

Both in Orange County, Southern California

Chino Hills in So. California is #11

This is for year 2006

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2006 — Infoplease.com

Old 07-13-2007, 03:44 AM

1,749 posts, read 7,678,538 times
I was having this discussion earlier with my sister as she's moving to L.A. My opinion of the best place to raise her son (and she's also expecting) is South Pasadena. It's squeaky clean, has great schools, it's gorgeous and has really nice people. I grew up in South Redondo and can recommend it wholeheartedly. This does not include the north part of RB. Palos Verdes is a great place to raise a family and they have the best public schools. I have friends here in my area with kids and all of them go to magnet or charter schools and are doing great. Feel the areas out for yourself. I can't recommend the Inland Empire as the social climate seems about 20 years behind and the smog is legendary. It doesn't feel like L.A. to me. Neither does the OC.

Find the area that resonates with you.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:54 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,955,447 times
South Pasadena (zip codes 91030 & 91031) both have above average crime - the air quality is the worst in the nation (as is all of Los Angeles County) and it is much hotter there in the summer than near the coast. I love South Pasadena - so charming and so much history. I grew up near there and know the area well - but it is surrounded by high crime areas - not sure I would want to live there if I had children.

Chino Hills has about 1/3 the average national crime rate and temperature wise it is about the same as Pasadena although the air quality is slightly better.

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-13-2007 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California