Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 07:56 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,635,648 times

Advertisements

So, my mother tells me there was indeed and enclosed mall that ran between Gottschalks and the hotel, it was taken out and replaced with national chain big box stores.

What Cal Poly dorms were built in the 80s and why would that be a different impact from the Cal Poly dorms like Yosemite and Sierra Madre which were built in the sixties?, or the old red brick, or the old yellow painted brick dorms which date from the 50's?

If the enclosed mall existed in the 80's and 90's tis no wonder I missed it, since I was not around. I asked my mother about it, she said there was nothing there that would have interested me. Madonna Plaza with Jordano's and Benos (both went out of business), and some others was built in the 60's. That was remodeled and now called SLO promenade.

Quote:
More college students dominating the economy and downtown getting a theater during that time
There were two theaters downtown, the Obispo (built in 1911, burned down in 1975) and the Fremont, built in 1940, they were classically beautiful buildings. The Palm originated in 1979 on Osos street as the Rainbow theater, and moved to the Palm location in 1989. The Madonna theater went in in the mid sixties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 08:15 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,715,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
So, my mother tells me there was indeed and enclosed mall that ran between Gottschalks and the hotel, it was taken out and replaced with national chain big box stores.

What Cal Poly dorms were built in the 80s and why would that be a different impact from the Cal Poly dorms like Yosemite and Sierra Madre which were built in the sixties?, or the old red brick, or the old yellow painted brick dorms which date from the 50's?

If the enclosed mall existed in the 80's and 90's tis no wonder I missed it, since I was not around. I asked my mother about it, she said there was nothing there that would have interested me. Madonna Plaza with Jordano's and Benos (both went out of business), and some others was built in the 60's. That was remodeled and now called SLO promenade.

There were two theaters downtown, the Obispo (built in 1911, burned down in 1975) and the Fremont, built in 1940, they were classically beautiful buildings. The Palm originated in 1979 on Osos street as the Rainbow theater, and moved to the Palm location in 1989. The Madonna theater went in in the mid sixties.
I don't know I just heard from one of my high school teachers that SLO's population increased by 5,000 in 10 years and that more college students were coming to the area.

Yes, the mall was small and wasn't much. And Santa Maria already had it's bigger mall.

I think it's interesting how SLO's downtown basically added many mall stores. Abercrombie and Fitch, Bannana Republic, Gap, Sunglass Hut, No Fear, Sephora, Apple, etc....

It would be nice to see more mall-type stores open in downtown. I know we have the outlets for many mall stores, but that's too far of a drive.

Maybe with Chinatown we will see some more open up that we don't have here. The outlets has PacSun, Aeropostale, DC, Vans, Zumiez, rue21, guess outlet, and others you usually see in malls. But I dont like any of those stores except PacSun and most of the PacSun stuff you can get at Moondoggies.

Of course I am content with what SLO currently has. My family used to have to drive to Santa Maria for Costco and now SLO has one. Used to go to SLO for Trader Joes now Templeton has one.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I don't know I just heard from one of my high school teachers that SLO's population increased by 5,000 in 10 years and that more college students were coming to the area
SLO has less than doubled in the past 40 years, which is great, and is unusual for California, Arroyo Grande for instance went from 6,000 to 16,000. The County went from 80,000 to well over 300,000, I consider these growth rates appalling.

Quote:
think it's interesting how SLO's downtown basically added many mall stores.
"SLO's downtown" did not add them, the owners of the buildings priced the locals out, only the chains could survive, and maybe not even them, I think Barnes and Noble went under, I don't recollect seeing them in that little mall like thing downtown.

I sincerely hope "Chinatown" never goes in, Copelands ran their stores into the ground, now they want to do the same with a whole chunk of town.

Look, all the crap sold by all the chains is all the crap made by one 300,000 employee factory in China. Try real hard not to buy a damned thing made in China until they have a free press, a free representative government, and they stop occupying Tibet. Supporting an oppressive government by buying cheesy crap by the millions, putting those millions onto boats and shipping them to China so they can build a military capable of throwing the US out of the Western Pacific is darned close to treason, INMHO.

Templeton is still a nice town, not so nice since the industry changed and the stockyards shut down, but, a reasonable place, although with the ideas that you seem to like, it will look like Santa Maria soon enough. You know I ride in the Templeton Parade each year.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:37 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,056,037 times
SLO's population hasnt changed much in 20 years, due to growth restrictions and general anti growth sentiment. If the city were open to development it'd be over grown by now. It would easily be the size of Ventura or SB.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:27 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,715,082 times
Quote:
SLO has less than doubled in the past 40 years, which is great, and is unusual for California, Arroyo Grande for instance went from 6,000 to 16,000. The County went from 80,000 to well over 300,000, I consider these growth rates appalling.

"SLO's downtown" did not add them, the owners of the buildings priced the locals out, only the chains could survive, and maybe not even them, I think Barnes and Noble went under, I don't recollect seeing them in that little mall like thing downtown.

I sincerely hope "Chinatown" never goes in, Copelands ran their stores into the ground, now they want to do the same with a whole chunk of town.

Look, all the crap sold by all the chains is all the crap made by one 300,000 employee factory in China. Try real hard not to buy a damned thing made in China until they have a free press, a free representative government, and they stop occupying Tibet. Supporting an oppressive government by buying cheesy crap by the millions, putting those millions onto boats and shipping them to China so they can build a military capable of throwing the US out of the Western Pacific is darned close to treason, INMHO.

Templeton is still a nice town, not so nice since the industry changed and the stockyards shut down, but, a reasonable place, although with the ideas that you seem to like, it will look like Santa Maria soon enough. You know I ride in the Templeton Parade each year.
Chinatown is approved, so I don't know. I do agree China is a bad government and all, but it's how some people make a living over there and not supporting those people won't change the government.

Templeton is still a town btw, and we have a Trader Joes now and at 9,200 population. We are getting a gym (Templeton Tennis Ranch) and library built next year.

Anyways, I just think SLO is nice because everything it is. I don't think it should change. Whole Foods is my only request and they are going in Garden Street Terraces.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:10 AM

Mateo, a couple more points. SLO county has been cattle country for a long time, snap button shirts, western hats, farmer tans, are pretty common among land owning families, aside from the grape growers, who are mostly newcomers. There is a conservative, salt of the earth, population, who will rail against the government, but who are willing to put their land into conservation easements to protect the land against development, and put their land into the Williamson act to make it affordable to continue ranching or farming. And will work with the government agencies instead of against them. Last year a bunch of us got together with the Forest Service to help a Boy Scout with his Eagle project. Some folks may consider these people rednecks, based on appearance, but they often have college degrees from Cal Poly in Ag. My formerly high school daughter calls the teenage rancher/farmer kids, "hicks", and I think the kids use that to identify themselves also, they wear snap button shirts and work boots to school. That my daughter calls them hicks and thinks of herself as not one of them, is kinda funny, since she lives on a farm ( I use the term farm as it is familiar to people from outside the area, here we call them ranches, even without cows)

I contrast these people with what might be called the Central Valley Redneck. You can pick these folk out of a crowd, My daughter who worked in a beach restaurant frequented by them, calls them "Bakos" they are large, wear wifebeater shirts, tending toward bald, drive trucks with large tires, haul dune buggies and ATV's over to Pismo, etc etc. They tend toward the type of conservatism that does not consider consequences of actions.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,412,463 times
Quote:
Mateo, a couple more points. SLO county has been cattle country for a long time, snap button shirts, western hats, farmer tans, are pretty common among land owning families, aside from the grape growers, who are mostly newcomers. There is a conservative, salt of the earth, population, who will rail against the government, but who are willing to put their land into conservation easements to protect the land against development, and put their land into the Williamson act to make it affordable to continue ranching or farming. And will work with the government agencies instead of against them. Last year a bunch of us got together with the Forest Service to help a Boy Scout with his Eagle project. Some folks may consider these people rednecks, based on appearance, but they often have college degrees from Cal Poly in Ag. My formerly high school daughter calls the teenage rancher/farmer kids, "hicks", and I think the kids use that to identify themselves also, they wear snap button shirts and work boots to school. That my daughter calls them hicks and thinks of herself as not one of them, is kinda funny, since she lives on a farm ( I use the term farm as it is familiar to people from outside the area, here we call them ranches, even without cows)

I contrast these people with what might be called the Central Valley Redneck. You can pick these folk out of a crowd, My daughter who worked in a beach restaurant frequented by them, calls them "Bakos" they are large, wear wifebeater shirts, tending toward bald, drive trucks with large tires, haul dune buggies and ATV's over to Pismo, etc etc. They tend toward the type of conservatism that does not consider consequences of actions.
Yeah, I would agree there's a big difference between folks with "conservative values" (however one wishes to define that), and conservative "ideology". The former is still more or less anchored in "consensus reality", while the latter only cares about their "beliefs" irrespective of facts & the consequences (aka "magical thinking"). Although in fairness, so-called "liberals" ain't necessarily immune to that kinda thinking either!

Old 12-12-2010, 06:11 PM

Not that I have any idea what a liberal is, except for not being what the Beck, Limbaugh, Palin et al say they are.

I took my motorcycle out for a spin on this nice warm December day, I rode lightly traveled roads in Eastern San Luis Obispo from Pozo to Parkfield. There are a lot of ranches and homesteads that look to me like the owners not only don't get to town much, but don't want to. There were hunters in camo, and lovely ladies towing horse trailers, a couple of old guys driving their trucks 25 miles an hour down the middle of the road.

I think if you stopped to talk to them, you would find them with old fashioned values, but with little interest in imposing those values on you, a live and let live people, unless you cross them, of course.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:34 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,412,463 times
Quote:
I took my motorcycle out for a spin on this nice warm December day, I rode lightly traveled roads in Eastern San Luis Obispo from Pozo to Parkfield.....
Sounds great... now you're talkin' my lingo, and that area does have a lot of beautiful roads for riding! BTW, another biker will probably understand this "cultural" question, but just curious, are most of the serious motorcyclists around your neck of the woods mainly Harley & "cruiser" folks, or is it generally a broader mix (Hondas, Beemers, Ducatis, tourers, sport bikes, etc.)?

Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 PM

Ha, good question, depends in part on the age. It seems that men hit their 40's or 50's, never spent much time on bikes, so they go out and get a big Harley, dress like pirates, and have to have some sort of club logo on their backs, I saw two go by yesterday, all tricked out, long gray hair in ponytails, and their logo emblazoned on their backs, was "Soldiers for Jesus" These older Harley riders have a serious death rate, it is tough to get a Harley around a corner carrying any speed, so they launch. And then there are the bikes you cannot tell from a Harley until you read the make on the machine, generally bought, I think, by guys who can't quite afford the Harley.

The Ducati, cafe racer muscle bike appeals to the younger 20-30 somethings, they go by me at light speed, but they have a problem too, getting around those corners, they are doing at least twice as fast as the Harleys, so they don't walk away either.

I have been riding now for 50 years, I used to go pretty fast, especially when I lived in Italy (Ducati of course). Now, I like exploring, the KLR doesn't have to stop at the dirt, so I ride a mix of road types.

San Luis Obispo and Monterey counties have great paved lightly traveled roads, if I go out on the weekends, which I usually avoid, but today was so nice, I see a lot of bikes, I sure wish they would stop waving, if I am heading one direction and a group of 10 or 20 come my way, they all wave and i wear out my arm waving back.

I don't get the guys that go out and ride the freeway, they do, but geez, boring.

Do you ride?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California