U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-17-2010, 04:59 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 3,269,331 times
Reputation: 2622
That is good, just turn it up to 400 degrees, and it self cleans..... Reminds me of a story; I was soaking in a hot springs out in the desert many years ago. A guy drives up in a Mercedes Jeep, we had never seen one, very spiffy. One of the guys in the pool asked, "I gotta ask, how much is it?"
The guy responds in a German accent (real, he was German) "$25,000" (that was when you could buy a new Jeep for $12,000).
I said, "I gotta ask, why would you pay that much?"
He looks at me disdainfully, "What would you want me to drive, A Jeeeep?" He drew out the word Jeep like it was distasteful to him. Soon he departed up canyon.

Early the next morning before the sun came up, I heard an engine, and a clanking sound, I crawled out of my tent, and saw the Mercedes jeep gently bumping down the track, the front driveline banging on the ground, he had busted his transfer case on a rock up canyon, on he went, banging his way down the canyon. A couple of hours in a good running rig before tow truck country.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2010, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Pismo Beach, CA
3,751 posts, read 6,072,423 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
It is a town, but you're right its just semantics and doesnt matter in any way. SLO Town, has had virtually the same population for 20 years, but of course the county has grown.
I am pretty sure it's "city of San Luis Obispo". A town in california's charter is considered any un-incoporated community. I believe there were two exceptions in northern california where we have a township, but they might have become a city in the recent years.

BTW, I was in SLO today with my dad and thinking why do people prefer SLO so much. And I think people prefer cities that are wealthier in general. Downtown SLO offers a wide-range of upscale places to shop and dine at. Say SLO had a nice location surrounded by mountains, but was full of run-down neighborhoods and big box centers and an enclosed mall I doubt people would still love it.

It's projects like the Court Street Center, Chinatown project, Palm Theater, Mission Plaza, SLO Art Museum, Fremont Theater, Barnes N Nobles, and Whole Foods in downtown that attract people to SLO's downtown.

The big box centers like Irish Hills Plaza, SLO Promenade, Madonna Plaza, and Prefumo Creek Commons are for locals in the city and the county.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 06:14 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 3,269,331 times
Reputation: 2622
Quote:
Say SLO had a nice location surrounded by mountains, but was full of run-down neighborhoods and big box centers and an enclosed mall I doubt people would still love it.
Sounds like Santa Maria

Quote:
It's projects like the Court Street Center, Chinatown project, Palm Theater, Mission Plaza, SLO Art Museum, Fremont Theater, Barnes N Nobles, and Whole Foods in downtown that attract people to SLO's downtown.
Dang, I thought we were converting you, you are coming along, but you still want too many of the non human scale "projects"

Remember, if people don't linger, and dawdle and wander aimlessly at a "project" it should be dynamited.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Pismo Beach, CA
3,751 posts, read 6,072,423 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Sounds like Santa Maria



Dang, I thought we were converting you, you are coming along, but you still want too many of the non human scale "projects"

Remember, if people don't linger, and dawdle and wander aimlessly at a "project" it should be dynamited.
I would not say Santa Maria has a pretty location. It's a flat area and in a valley.

I am pretty sure people linger around Court Street Center and all those places.

Believe I am partially converted. I used to desire a nice mall in SLO, but after a while I realized malls don't interest me. The mall cops are rude, the stores are all the same, and it's just like walking around a downtown. Of course, if a city doesn't have a downtown then the place to go is the mall.

What I think I really desire is nice places. Perhaps my Templeton friends had an impact on me. Whole Foods sells healthy foods and I need to eat healthy so I don't fall behind on all our hikes. Sad to say, I was the youngest guy of four on a hike yesterday and I felt so embarrased falling behind. I blame my parents and their crappy eating habits. I enjoy Barnes N Nobles large collection of books. I enjoy a good cup of coffee at Peet's, Kreuzberg, Starbucks, or some other place. I think it's cool seeing that we have wealthy people and tourists coming to shop at places like Talbots, Pottery Barn, Chico's, and the other designer and high end stores. I see alot of college kids gather at Mission Plaza. I see locals and tourists check out the Art Museum. And I am sure when Chinatown is built I will enjoy walking around there since it will draw much more tourists to downtown with the first hotel in downtown and probably more high end stores and designer stores. Oh, and Palm Theater is really just a place for people who are educated and into foreign made films.

I guess you can say having a university nearby is one reason many high end places open up and of course tourism too. Jobs and tourism do determine what type of shopping is in an area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 06:40 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 3,269,331 times
Reputation: 2622
Quote:
I would not say Santa Maria has a pretty location. It's a flat area and in a valley.
From most of Santa Maria you can see the high peaks of the San Rafael Range, in a reasonable winter you can see snow covered peaks from most of Santa Maria.

If I may ask, where did you hike? Just for fun, I will suggest a long but beautiful hike. Start at the top of Cuesta grade, walk up the east ridge, climb the gate, walk up 6 miles to the wilderness valley, then another 7 miles down to the end of Lopez Canyon at Big Falls. The last few miles you will be in and out of the creek so much that you should have tennies for that, shoes you can get wet.

Set it up as a shuttle, put a car at the end of Lopez the day before. If you are serious about the hike, PM me just before you go, I have the combination for the lock at East Cuesta. You could have a friend drive you up 6 miles, it is the least cool hiking segment, although spectacularly scenic.

Either way, it is a beautiful hike, Upper Lopez Canyon is an Eden.

Oh, my sister has a store in Templeton, but for obvious reasons I cannot divulge which.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Pismo Beach, CA
3,751 posts, read 6,072,423 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
From most of Santa Maria you can see the high peaks of the San Rafael Range, in a reasonable winter you can see snow covered peaks from most of Santa Maria.

If I may ask, where did you hike? Just for fun, I will suggest a long but beautiful hike. Start at the top of Cuesta grade, walk up the east ridge, climb the gate, walk up 6 miles to the wilderness valley, then another 7 miles down to the end of Lopez Canyon at Big Falls. The last few miles you will be in and out of the creek so much that you should have tennies for that, shoes you can get wet.

Set it up as a shuttle, put a car at the end of Lopez the day before. If you are serious about the hike, PM me just before you go, I have the combination for the lock at East Cuesta. You could have a friend drive you up 6 miles, it is the least cool hiking segment, although spectacularly scenic.

Either way, it is a beautiful hike, Upper Lopez Canyon is an Eden.

Oh, my sister has a store in Templeton, but for obvious reasons I cannot divulge which.
I was at Cerro Alto. My friends and I have hiked the Cuesta grade before. I will mention to them there is a place we can hike if we have this lock combo. Not sure where you are talking about, but it sounds like a long hike and my friends would be shocked me mentioning this long hike.

And I am not entirely sure about myself wanting to move back to SLO after I graduate but I am leaning towards doing that. It is possible for me to survive down in LA since I have done it before, but it's not in my heart. I guess I will get my masters at Pomona. It will be easier going there versus transferring elsewhere for my masters.

For whatever reason that is in my heart I feel the need to move back to this area. I can not explain exactly why I like SLO. But I do.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 06:54 PM
 
6,395 posts, read 3,386,637 times
Reputation: 3604
Lot of that medical mj going on?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 06:56 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 3,269,331 times
Reputation: 2622
Cerro Alto is short, but good and steep, did you summit to the old lookout?

I figure you are pretty young, with luck you will find a young woman who will seduce you with hiking boots, khaki shorts and camel backs.

My daughters are serious hikers, the young men they go out with typically cannot keep up. Older daughter has finally met a young man who will be a man, he hikes and rodeos., she is smitten, partly because he is the first guy who can keep up with her.

There is no income level, no "club scene" no urban setting, that holds a candle to sitting on a ridge top watching hawks soar with a small blonde who just kicked your butt up some steep trail.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Arroyo Grande, California
5,336 posts, read 3,625,356 times
Reputation: 3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I am pretty sure it's "city of San Luis Obispo". A town in california's charter is considered any un-incoporated community. I believe there were two exceptions in northern california where we have a township, but they might have become a city in the recent years.

BTW, I was in SLO today with my dad and thinking why do people prefer SLO so much. And I think people prefer cities that are wealthier in general. Downtown SLO offers a wide-range of upscale places to shop and dine at. Say SLO had a nice location surrounded by mountains, but was full of run-down neighborhoods and big box centers and an enclosed mall I doubt people would still love it.

It's projects like the Court Street Center, Chinatown project, Palm Theater, Mission Plaza, SLO Art Museum, Fremont Theater, Barnes N Nobles, and Whole Foods in downtown that attract people to SLO's downtown.

The big box centers like Irish Hills Plaza, SLO Promenade, Madonna Plaza, and Prefumo Creek Commons are for locals in the city and the county.
You are coming around a bit. If you really want to know why people prefer towns like SLO from a city planning perspective. Study some writings of Andres Duany on traditional neighborhood design. Many are trying to reproduce these 'towns' with the New Urbanism movement, but its harder to do at one time than to let it happen organically. Planning goes along way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Beautiful California
253 posts, read 741,968 times
Reputation: 180
I love SLO and have SLO on my license plate (along with other letters).

Palm Theater is awesome - I saw "Inside Job" twice there recently. Go at Matinee time and pay only $6.00. Parking at the city parking structure across the street is free on Sundays. Mondays are bargain night with admission at $5.00.

Saw "Fair Game" too with Naomi Watts - really good movie!

-Cali-girl
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top