Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Spare me your false dichotomies. It's ever so sophomoric. The absence of police is not "anarchy," and it bespeaks a tremendous lack of imagination and an ignorance of history to suggest such a thing.

After all, police were largely unheard of in most places in America for the first 80 years of its existence. Anarchy, we were not.
Spare me your attempt at pseudo-sophistication/intellectualism. While you're at it, look up the word, "anarchy." For many years, in the early stages there were no laws, therefore there could be no lawlessness/anarchy.

Ignorance of history? Try again! Also look up "dichotomy!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 11:08 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Hey guess what all? The World Series and today's march? Do you realize how many police officers where there? Uniformed and not inuniform? Helicopters? Horses? Other surrounding agencies on standby? How about how much money in overtime it cost the lieutenant's and captain's to design plans and implement them? How about all that race fans?

And guess what? YOU are all paying for it. Everytime your boss yells at you. Everytime you miss YOUR kids baseball game, everytime you say, "I can't. I have to work. " Just remember, "Fear the beard."

Oh this goes for bicycle rallies and every other civil disobediance there is. Remember, everytime people get drunk and go beserk, the police and fire department is called. And, when its known before hand, HUNDREDS are called in on overtime; on YOUR dime.

Thank god for you liberals and your myopic thinking. You have paid for: My mortgage, 13 trips to Europe, my three kids private education, including the one at Stanford, and the fact I'll retire completely at age 51. Life is grand. Yep, I love you liberals. Keep it going!!! I'm happy you voted for Jerry Brown!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:19 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
If a man were walking the streets of Los Angeles who had no desire to use your services, as he carried a loaded Colt 45 for his own protection, would you arrest him for carrying his gun?

Of course, you would, as the law commands it. You're worse than a thief. A thief only wants my money. You take my money and my freedom. You force me to use services I do not want, charge me dearly for your unwanted meddling, and deprive me of my right to provide for my own needs. I'd chance the thief rather than suffer your certain tyranny.

You, Phil, and other big-government, big-union, anti-freedom Liberals will be the death of this country.

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Nope. Wrong again. What I am is your worst nightmare. I am the person you WISH to be. See, I could care less what dope you smoke, shoot up, or anything else. In fact, I could care less what you do: In your OWN HOME.

Now, when you infringe upon the rights of others? And your dope smoking does, make no doubt about it, I'll stick my foot up up your a$$ so far, you can't breath.

I don't infringe upon your rights; your fellow citizens do. I don't make the laws, your fellow citizens do; I merely enforce them. The people of the State of California decide what is legal and what is not; hence Prop 19. I am sure a dope smoking liberal, like YOU, wanted it legal. The majority of the state does not; therefore, I enforce what the MAJORITY wants legal. This is what the country was founded on. Not your dope smoking, liberal tree hugging, minority wants.

Get it? You are a loser and will be. Again, in 3 years, I'll be retired and YOU will be paying my salary. That is the facts. That is life. That is what the LIBERALS of the State of California WANTED; hence, they elected Jerry Brown, who started these pensions.

Now, I have to go to bed. I have 12.5 hours of OVERTIME in the morning and another 36 hours coming up this weekend. Oh yes race fans, Mehserle's sentence is coming down. Think I'll take the wife to London/Paris for Christmas and New Years. THANK YOU LIBERALS!!!!

Old 11-04-2010, 07:13 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Nope. Wrong again. What I am is your worst nightmare. I am the person you WISH to be. See, I could care less what dope you smoke, shoot up, or anything else. In fact, I could care less what you do: In your OWN HOME.

Now, when you infringe upon the rights of others? And your dope smoking does, make no doubt about it, I'll stick my foot up up your a$$ so far, you can't breath.

I don't infringe upon your rights; your fellow citizens do. I don't make the laws, your fellow citizens do; I merely enforce them. The people of the State of California decide what is legal and what is not; hence Prop 19. I am sure a dope smoking liberal, like YOU, wanted it legal. The majority of the state does not; therefore, I enforce what the MAJORITY wants legal. This is what the country was founded on. Not your dope smoking, liberal tree hugging, minority wants.

Get it? You are a loser and will be. Again, in 3 years, I'll be retired and YOU will be paying my salary. That is the facts. That is life. That is what the LIBERALS of the State of California WANTED; hence, they elected Jerry Brown, who started these pensions.

Now, I have to go to bed. I have 12.5 hours of OVERTIME in the morning and another 36 hours coming up this weekend. Oh yes race fans, Mehserle's sentence is coming down. Think I'll take the wife to London/Paris for Christmas and New Years. THANK YOU LIBERALS!!!!
You appear to be proud of the fact that public employees are taking advantage of taxpayers.
Having worked in an industry that parallels emergency services I have seen the abuse first hand for years, and it sickens me.
Every declared disaster now is an excuse for government agencies to abuse the situation in order to spend the taxpayer’s money recklessly.
It is the same story no matter if you are talking about California fire storms, or Hurricane Katrina, you have government parasites enriching themselves at the expense of the victims of the disaster.
I hope California goes into receivership, and they cut all public pensions to a fraction of their previous amounts.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I hope California goes into receivership, and they cut all public pensions to a fraction of their previous amounts.
Sorry to disappoint but those cuts can only be made prospectively and that process has already begun for most future state employees.

While I have no love for California governance, I certainly don't wish it into receivership. Why not wait and see of Ol' Krusty is really as pragmatic as he's tried to sound and if the Legislature can come up with an ounce of reason first?

Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sorry to disappoint but those cuts can only be made prospectively and that process has already begun for most future state employees.

While I have no love for California governance, I certainly don't wish it into receivership. Why not wait and see of Ol' Krusty is really as pragmatic as he's tried to sound and if the Legislature can come up with an ounce of reason first?
Reason? Ok, tell me reasonably how he is going to deal with this.

California has a total state debt of $290,855,041,516 when calculated by adding the total of outstanding debt, pension and OPEB UAAL’s, unemployment trust funds and the 2010 budget gap.

The budget relies on what many officials have said are overly optimistic projections. The budget relies on aid from the federal government, including the assumption of $5.3 billion in new federal aid but the state is only sure of $1.3 billion of that money at the time the legislature passed the budget. The budget also uses gimmicks such as deferring some spending until FY2012 to close a $19 billion deficit, such as the deferral of $1.7 billion of K-12 school payments. More than two-thirds of the solutions legislators used are either temporary fixes or one-time sources of funds.

Now Civics 101 teaches us the US House of Representatives controls the countries checkbook, not the Senate, and not the White House. If the House does not want something to happen, they simply do not fund it.
With a new Republican majority in the House I doubt seriously if they will be bending over backwards to help the democratically controlled left coast.
California's income projections are built on LSD induced hallucinations of ever increasing property values along with personal and corporate income tax gains based on a boom time economy. Guess what, that aint happening, not now, not next year, not ever.
Now what is going to happen to the 5.5 billion dollar interest payments the state is currently saddled with, when artificially low interest rates begin to rise?
The conclusion any rational person would derive from all this, is California's budged and debt problems are much worse than they are letting on. In fact you might say we are looking straight in the eye of the perfect storm.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:58 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Hey guess what all? The World Series and today's march? Do you realize how many police officers where there? Uniformed and not inuniform? Helicopters? Horses? Other surrounding agencies on standby? How about how much money in overtime it cost the lieutenant's and captain's to design plans and implement them? How about all that race fans?

And guess what? YOU are all paying for it. Everytime your boss yells at you. Everytime you miss YOUR kids baseball game, everytime you say, "I can't. I have to work. " Just remember, "Fear the beard."

Oh this goes for bicycle rallies and every other civil disobediance there is. Remember, everytime people get drunk and go beserk, the police and fire department is called. And, when its known before hand, HUNDREDS are called in on overtime; on YOUR dime.

Thank god for you liberals and your myopic thinking. You have paid for: My mortgage, 13 trips to Europe, my three kids private education, including the one at Stanford, and the fact I'll retire completely at age 51. Life is grand. Yep, I love you liberals. Keep it going!!! I'm happy you voted for Jerry Brown!!!
Hi again, Phil,

You are proud of the fact that you are another variation of the parasite who lives and feeds on the blood of taxpayers?

How very sad Phil, that you should push our benevolence into our faces, after all, aren't we paying your way? Why do you bite
the hand that feeds you, taunting us, waving your perks in our faces and relishing the sad reality that there really isn't too much
else that any of us can do about it? How blatantly crass! The more I read of your downhead commentary, the more like a common
lackey you appear, an opportunist who has sold out to the highest bidder, the government. If you are contributing here in hopes of
earning any respect from your peers, that concept or your approach is surely failing you and affecting your reputation in the bargain.

Overtime? Hell, overtime is scam for public employees, by and large, the biggest abusers of all. Like being on welfare, it's nice to get
that money without having to work for it. If your lieutenants and captains were worth their salt, they would need to worry less about
designing "plans" for a legal public event and more about designing efficient plans for reducing waste in their own glass precincts before
throwing stones at the public. I mean what else can I possibly say about a guy who believes bicycle rallies are civil disobedience?

And, your retirement at 51? Phil, I really can't help but feel, that any person who has the kind of attitude that I can see within you,
yet works on the streets, with a gun at their side, will never make it to retirement. I'm a firm believer in the proposition that a man reaps
what he sows and the way that I see you building up your bad karma, I can only feel that justice will be coming for you sooner than you think.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Reason? Ok, tell me reasonably how he is going to deal with this.

California has a total state debt of $290,855,041,516 when calculated by adding the total of outstanding debt, pension and OPEB UAAL’s, unemployment trust funds and the 2010 budget gap.

The budget relies on what many officials have said are overly optimistic projections. The budget relies on aid from the federal government, including the assumption of $5.3 billion in new federal aid but the state is only sure of $1.3 billion of that money at the time the legislature passed the budget. The budget also uses gimmicks such as deferring some spending until FY2012 to close a $19 billion deficit, such as the deferral of $1.7 billion of K-12 school payments. More than two-thirds of the solutions legislators used are either temporary fixes or one-time sources of funds.

Now Civics 101 teaches us the US House of Representatives controls the countries checkbook, not the Senate, and not the White House. If the House does not want something to happen, they simply do not fund it.
With a new Republican majority in the House I doubt seriously if they will be bending over backwards to help the democratically controlled left coast.
California's income projections are built on LSD induced hallucinations of ever increasing property values along with personal and corporate income tax gains based on a boom time economy. Guess what, that aint happening, not now, not next year, not ever.
Now what is going to happen to the 5.5 billion dollar interest payments the state is currently saddled with, when artificially low interest rates begin to rise?
The conclusion any rational person would derive from all this, is California's budged and debt problems are much worse than they are letting on. In fact you might say we are looking straight in the eye of the perfect storm.
'Tis a puzzlement, isn't it? As one who was directly involved in the politics of various policy areas and appropriations/budgets for the state for the better part of 20 years, I always took the deficit figure claimed or admitted to by the Legislature and Governor's Office and doubled it. Generally I came closer to the mark than they did.

I doubt that CA will find much relief from Washington. Beyond that, all the budgets have been smoke and mirrors for years. Now they may come home to roost -- long overdue!

Yet the people of CA persist in returning the same politicians, their family members and their associates to office year after year. Then they crow about it and talk about being progressive, diverse and all manner of wondrous things other than broke, indebted and circling the drain. This year was/is no different and it may just come back to bite the sheeple in their wool-covered derriers; as well it should!

Old 11-23-2010, 03:50 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,140 times
Wow... its getting pretty frosty in here

I never went out on strike.. as I thought my duty as a policeman was a higher one.. a personal one.. to maintain order and provide service to the people who hired me and paid me... the citizens of Los Angeles. While I joined a bargaining group I didnt belong to a union.. and there is a huge difference.The citizens of L.A., in turn, agreed to provide me with a good and stable retirement. For this I abused my body and took all the psychological, physical and emotional abuse any human should have to withstand for 25 years. It permanently changed me.

Pensions for government employees are an easy target... and I might even agree some of the higher management positions are overpaid for what they have to do... new employees wont have it as good as I do...

If I thought tomorrow that every American would give up a percentage of their paycheck to reduce our debt... make our country truly safer,, make us a better planet.. I would do it voluntarily in a second.. but the liberal agenda of remaking America needs to be done WITHOUT my dollars.. as I dont support it in any fashion whatsoever

You want pork and corruption.. start with the teamsters first and work down.. going through anything that REQUIRES its workers to join and pay... and how about the 60 dollar an hour autoworkers... or how about YOUR job first...

Old 11-23-2010, 03:55 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
All the blather about state worker pensions, the average pension for retired California state employees is $20,000 a year, and each worker paid into it the entire time they worked.

Quote:
You are proud of the fact that you are another variation of the parasite who lives and feeds on the blood of taxpayers?
An astonishing statement. I think of all the parasites living and feeding on the blood of taxpayers who have served and fought for this country and are still doing so today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California