Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:30 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

Isnt tobacco the true gateway drug? I mean, its addictive, its very harmful to ones health-and yet its totally legal. Anyone else find that totally hypocritical?

I actually support the objective of Arizona's immigration law but at the same time I am inclined to support California's right to legalize marijuana as well.

States Rights and Activism from the bench have been two things that have weighed heavily on my mind lately. It seems like the Federal Govt has too much power, we give them way too much money with much less in return as California is BY FAR THE BIGGEST DONOR STATE IN THE NATION-$50 Billion of our federal tax dollars are spent in other states annually.

That $50 Billion a year should be returned to California if they arent going to spend it here instead of creating jobs in Maryland and Virginia-that pisses the hell out of me.

Our state deficit would vanish instantly if the Fed simply returned to the state OUR money that they don't spend here.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 10-23-2010 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 11:48 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times
Montclair its hard to fight the tobacco lobby, it used to be impossible.

NJ has the highest real estate taxes in the country or very close to it depending on how you read the numbers- what happens to all that money?

Old 10-23-2010, 06:27 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Isnt tobacco the true gateway drug? I mean, its addictive, its very harmful to ones health-and yet its totally legal. Anyone else find that totally hypocritical?

I actually support the objective of Arizona's immigration law but at the same time I am inclined to support California's right to legalize marijuana as well.

States Rights and Activism from the bench have been two things that have weighed heavily on my mind lately. It seems like the Federal Govt has too much power, we give them way too much money with much less in return as California is BY FAR THE BIGGEST DONOR STATE IN THE NATION-$50 Billion of our federal tax dollars are spent in other states annually.

That $50 Billion a year should be returned to California if they arent going to spend it here instead of creating jobs in Maryland and Virginia-that pisses the hell out of me.

Our state deficit would vanish instantly if the Fed simply returned to the state OUR money that they don't spend here.
Except, tabacco is not a gate way drug. Never in my life have I heard a junky say, "yea it all started when I stole that pack of smokes from my mom".

But they will all tell you the first drug they used was pot.

Pot is the key gateway drug in this country because it is easiest to get for kids under 18. They cant get booze or smokes with out some one older getting it for them, but a dozen kids in their class "slang" weed.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:10 PM

NOr cal dude - they will all say the first thing they tried was MILK. That argument got debunked 50 years ago. There is no chemical in pot or alcohol that has the effect of what is speed or heroin.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:19 PM

858 posts, read 1,501,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Why? Theyre broke & a tax on marijuana would bring in alot of money and likely still save smokers big bucks.

Thats just silly, do you think nobody smokes it now? Law enforcement costs will go down significantly since people wont get arrested simply for having or smoking it & it'll remove it from a criminally run black market.

IMO Californias politicians & other leaders have been burning big blunts for years.
They already de-criminalized marijuana in California.. Your not going to jail or getting arrested or being high anymore.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:09 PM

82 posts, read 329,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Doesn't the attorney general have better things to do than to make speeches in California -telling the people he will over-ride their vote?

I am not an Obama hater. In fact I think he inherited a hopeless situation but I'm confounded that he enter this fray. Let California be a test case and see what happens.

Its ok if one state legalizes it and 49 haven't. They can always vote to criminalize it again if it doesn't workout.
Actually, I don't like Holder much at all.

But here is another way to look at it.

If you don't like Holder sticking his nose in there, don't you think that quite a few Californians are sticking their nose into the national picture by trying it pass a law which clashes with the national level?

Old 10-24-2010, 05:20 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why is it ok for the feds/Obama to meddle in Arizona and not in Cali?
The two situations are very different, and only superficially similar in that both deal with states disagreeing with the federal government.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:44 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
I say this; let some other state legalize weed, lets see how it works, Ca. is the laughing stock of the USA as it is.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:32 PM

Roaddog back up your claim that Cal is the laughing stock. Except for during this recession it was always listed near the top of places Americans wanted to move to. In fact more Americans moved to California over the past 50 years than anywhere else. California specifically the Univ California System is still the best public educational system in the country ..if not the world.

Obi marijuana laws should be determined state-by-state. Cal is not responsible for the other states. You might also know that when marijuana was legal in every state California became the first state to make it illegal.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:50 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Roaddog back up your claim that Cal is the laughing stock.
Nobody is taking him seriously. I surely didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: