Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 7,264 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving my family of 5 to Wofford Heights. We currently live in Orange county so I really dont know much about Wofford Heights. I have 2 teenage children - 13 &17 yrs. I am looking in the area of Evans Rd & Wofford Blvd. Please post any opinions about this area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 10:19 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx2 View Post
I am considering moving my family of 5 to Wofford Heights. We currently live in Orange county so I really dont know much about Wofford Heights. I have 2 teenage children - 13 &17 yrs. I am looking in the area of Evans Rd & Wofford Blvd. Please post any opinions about this area. Thanks!
Small town living for sure.
We have been visiting/camping/boating the Lake Isabella area for many years. We were planning on buying a house in Wofford Heights a few years ago. This would have been an early purchase of our retirement home. We really like the area but a few things made us rethink the plan for now. Our biggest concern was medical care. The nearest Hospital is in Bakersfield and in an emergency you get air lifted via helicopter. Bakersfield or Ridgecrest is also the nearest towns that have major stores. Lake Isabella and Kernville are mainly retirement and resort places and I don’t think there is much in the way of good jobs. The place gets very hot and windy in the summer with frequent thunder storms so fire is also a concern, especially in the Wofford Heights area. You might also check into the Dam problem they have. They can only fill the lake to ~60% capacity for fear the dam will fail.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:30 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Are you planning on working? It's hot and windy in the summer and there a lot of unemployed folks up there.
it's not a bad place but If I was planning on moving there with a family I would visit first and check out the schools and such first. I'm not to sure there is much for a teen age kid to do.
Go there and take a good look first, it could be fine for you but i would look first.
I ride my motorcycle up there often.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 7,264 times
Small town living is exactly what we are looking for. We've vacationed in Kernville every year for the last 20 years so we're familar with the area somewhat. As far as employment goes my husband would probably end up having to commute to Bakersfield. We've checked out the High School & it seems to look pretty good from what we saw. We dont mind the heat, especially if we make sure we have A/C for the summer months and the wind in the afternoon isnt a bother cause it doesnt tend to last very long. We are just looking for an easier life style, calmer. OC is just too busy & always in a rush.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:20 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Look into Kernville to live. A lot nicer.
A lot of drugs in Lake Isabella and Wofford Heights.
It is better than Lake Elsinore or Hemet, but not much better.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:36 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Look into Kernville to live. A lot nicer.
A lot of drugs in Lake Isabella and Wofford Heights.
It is better than Lake Elsinore or Hemet, but not much better.
I heard the same thing about the drug situation, supposedly a big meth problem.

There were a couple bed and breakfast places for sale in that area. One was up on the mountain, that’s seclusion.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:43 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx2 View Post
Small town living is exactly what we are looking for. We've vacationed in Kernville every year for the last 20 years so we're familar with the area somewhat. As far as employment goes my husband would probably end up having to commute to Bakersfield. We've checked out the High School & it seems to look pretty good from what we saw. We dont mind the heat, especially if we make sure we have A/C for the summer months and the wind in the afternoon isnt a bother cause it doesnt tend to last very long. We are just looking for an easier life style, calmer. OC is just too busy & always in a rush.
well shoot then it sounds like you know what your doing, i love it up there I just get a head ache in the wind. There sure is a lot of good places to hang out above the area and buy a boat too heck I love to fish. best of luck i would do it myself but commuting is not for me.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:22 AM

3 posts, read 10,335 times
Curious - did you move to Wofford? We have a vacation home there, thinking of retiring there in 5-10 years. Just want to know how you adjusted from life in the OC to life in Wofford.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,249 times
I moved up here to Wofford Heights from the Fresno area a year ago when I retired. I bought a used 35 foot 5th wheel and pulled it up here and my cat and I live in one of the rv parks here. I love the area. As for drugs I assume there is that but I haven`t seen any crime at all here, been pretty peaceful. I don`t know about the schools since I don`t have kids. Great place to be and the winters are not that bad. The few times it snows it is usually light and melts before noon. Last January it was sunny and 65 degrees but we did have double the usual rain fall. People are friendly here and in Kernville. Hope this helps some...:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California