U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-25-2010, 03:35 PM

11,436 posts, read 8,674,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Land View Post
We shall see.
This is what we need to look out for:

After the election, people like you, Californio Sur, me, UB5 and several other highly vocal liberals are going to get a screen full of crap from the "independents" as they celebrate their "success" in the election. Like you said, right now things tend to be anti establishment but this trend is likely to change at some point. The country is politically polarized, probably safe to say permanently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-25-2010, 03:48 PM

312 posts, read 242,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This is what we need to look out for:

After the election, people like you, Californio Sur, me, UB5 and several other highly vocal liberals are going to get a screen full of crap from the "independents" as they celebrate their "success" in the election. Like you said, right now things tend to be anti establishment but this trend is likely to change at some point. The country is politically polarized, probably safe to say permanently.
Oh I already know it's coming if that happens. lol, the funny part of it all is even if the Republicans win there will be no change with anything however they will claim it's better and we are better off. What amuses me most is that so many of them are not even from CA yet they get so wound up and angry over CA politics. Obviously they left for a reason, I'm trying to figure out why they spend to much time obsessing over CA? If I moved from somewhere by choice, I would not spend all my time talking about that place.

Unread 10-25-2010, 04:12 PM

17,748 posts, read 13,415,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If GOP voters didn't reject Tom Campbell in the 1992 primaries, Boxer would never have been elected at all.

If GOP voters didn't reject Campbell in the 2010 primaries, she'd be facing certain doom.
But they did so all-in-all I guess Babs is just perfect for California.

As for all the other blathering, prognostication, hand-wringing and celebration going on here, It ain't over 'til the woman of substance has warbled!

I'd be the last to dare predict.

Unread 10-25-2010, 04:30 PM

2,685 posts, read 3,358,230 times
New PPIC report (well, released last week)
http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/survey/S_1010MBS.pdf

As of October 17, 2010:

Jerry Brown: 44%
Meg Whitman: 36%
Don't Know: 16%
Other: 4%

By Region (page 7):
Central Valley: 42% Brown, 41% Whitman (D+1) Brown up by 13% from last month
SF Bay Area: 55% Brown, 29% Whitman (D +36) Brown up 5% from last month
Los Angeles County: 54% Brown, 28% Whitman (D +36) Brown up by 19% from last monght
Other Southern California: 28% Brown, 45% Whitman (R +19) Unchanged for either side

Barbara Boxer: 43%
Carly Fiorina: 38%
Don't Know: 13%
Other: 6%

By Region (page 9):
Central Valley: 35% Boxer, 48% Fiorina
SF Bay Area: 59% Boxer, 26% Fiorina
Los Angeles County: 52% Boxer, 26% Fiorina
Other Southern California: 29% Boxer, 49% Fiorina

As predicted, LA County and the Bay Area are going WIDELY for the Democrat candidates (a monkey with a brain spasm could've told you that one), but what really surprises me is how competitive the Central Valley has become. Last month, Brown was having a hard time getting voters out in LA County (in fact, Whitman was up by 1), but it looks that has changed drastically.

And considering how much focus people on CD put on illegal immigration, it isn't the most concerning issue for most voters (in fact, for all party affiliations, it takes a backseat to the economy and the state deficit. Results on page 15)

On another note: who has already sent in their absentee ballots/already voted? I already did Can't wait for this cycle to be over so we can look over to 2012.

Unread 10-25-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
...(a monkey with a brain spasm could've told you that one)...
Shhh! Not so loud or that's what SF and LA will vote into office.

Oh, wait! That's what they're about to do.

Unread 10-25-2010, 04:40 PM

312 posts, read 242,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Funny you tried to pretend you're an Independant. I have yet to see any evidence in that. Then again you're the same guy that thinks a persons race has something to do with crime.

Unread 10-25-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Land View Post
Funny you tried to pretend you're an Independant. I have yet to see any evidence in that. Then again you're the same guy that thinks a persons race has something to do with crime.
Wrong on both counts and it's not my job to provide you with a thing. Ad hominem doesn't become you, or anyone for that matter.

Unread 10-25-2010, 05:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 3,358,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

The biggest issue for Whitman shouldn't be how poorly she is doing in LA and SF..that's pretty much a given. The LARGER issue is "why isn't she doing a lot better in the Central Valley and SoCal outside of LA?"

For the first time in recent California history, there are MORE Californians who live outside of LA County and the Bay Area than within it. For better and for worse, this means that California is no longer a 2 city state where everything revolves around the wishes of those two areas, but rather a candidate could almost totally IGNORE LA County and the Bay Area and still win a statewide election (either for a statewide office or a national one)

If I were a Republican campaign manager, I would focus way more of my efforts in getting out the vote and message in those areas , while still trying to have at least a token appearance in the two large areas, in order to win.

However, at this point, things don't look so good for Whitman.

Unread 10-25-2010, 05:23 PM

5,465 posts, read 7,352,667 times
I hope Meg Whitman is setting a good example for Republicans.

If you want to see Obama in the White House for 4 more years, simply nominate Sarah Palin as the Republican presidential nominee.

Unread 10-25-2010, 05:27 PM

11,436 posts, read 8,674,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I hope Meg Whitman is setting a good example for Republicans.

If you want to see Obama in the White House for 4 more years, simply nominate Sarah Palin as the Republican presidential nominee.
It is a good example but they cant see the forest for the trees. I think more Americans like moderate republicans than any other but the republicans insist on the extremes (and in Palins case, Dumb asses). Had John McCain picked a normal running mate he would have done better in the last election I think. Even if he still lost, it would not have been such a humiliating failure IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California