Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:48 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

I still don't know how Im going to vote on this one

This article gives us some food for thought:

BBC News - Why Mexicans are watching California's marijuana vote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 AM

312 posts, read 502,102 times
Just like the War On Drugs long running joke, they are looking at their economy taking another hit if Marijuana is legalized. If Heroin and Cocaine were next there might be a civil war in Mexico. However our crime would probably drop dramatically can't say the same for other border states like Texas , AZ etc.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:57 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
even though the consequences of passing Prop 19 are unknown at this time, I still think it seems pretty clear that the best possible outcome outweighs the worst possible outcome by a long shot. knowing this, i think a yes vote is worth the risk. as long as prop 19 does pass, it should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 12,295 times
I cannot believe it,first USA claims that the world fights against the drugs because it`s bad to the people,and now they're saying that no!, legalized the drugs,i cannot believe it when is 30 years fighting vs the drugs also vs the organized crime,200000 people was dead in Latin America specially Mexico and Colombia for this war and was in vain,for nothing,it's regrettable this situation...This was a simplier answer why the mexicans also the colombians are watching California`s vote.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:28 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,240 times
As long as history seems always to repeat itself, why not let marijuana become a legalized industry? If I know my history and the lessons that we've learned
as we have watched it repeat itself, I'm pretty sure, that like all other American industries, the growing, cultivation and all of the cottage industries connected with
marijuana (the product), will ultimately be outsourced. I'm fairly sure that there aren't too many American manufacturing companies who produce the crack-pipes,
the bongs, the roach clips, the rolling papers, the vaporizers and whatever other associated paraphernalia goes along with marijuana use. I'm also willing to bet
that we have the technology as a nation to at least retain our edge in the sandwich bag market, someone has to make the retail package for the marketeers and
the growers!

I would hope that Mexico would legalize marijuana,
the swing to legal growing, just might bring about an exodus of illegals, hungry to get back to their native
homeland, in a fervor that would eclipse the great gold rush of 1849.

Last edited by LongIslandEddie; 10-28-2010 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: proofread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
I cant stomach the idea of people smoking marijuana in public. Nasty

Old 10-29-2010, 10:16 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,819 times
Default Nicotine is worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I haven't seen ANY proposal to allow smoking marijuana in public places, not for medical marijuana patients in those 14 states that have such laws, or other states looking at full re-legalization. So I don't think you have to worry about that.

What is really nasty is having to walk through a cloud of tobacco smoke and walk on butts to get into any high rise building in many cities. Not only does it stink, and the butts are unsightly, but we now know that second hand smoke can have negative health effects.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:15 AM

371 posts, read 637,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
I haven't seen ANY proposal to allow smoking marijuana in public places, not for medical marijuana patients in those 14 states that have such laws, or other states looking at full re-legalization. So I don't think you have to worry about that.

What is really nasty is having to walk through a cloud of tobacco smoke and walk on butts to get into any high rise building in many cities. Not only does it stink, and the butts are unsightly, but we now know that second hand smoke can have negative health effects.
The proposal doesn't have to include it--people will do it anyway. Since decriminalization, I've already encountered people smoking joints openly while walking, because there's pretty much no punishment now.

Plus, even people smoking inside will leave their windows open. I've had to avoid certain apartment complexes when trying to move because of the cloud of smoke I'd have to walk through in the courtyard. These were medical marijuana patients, so the management refused to do anything about it.

The police probably won't try to make your neighbor stop smoking in his or her backyard, so you'll get the smoke drifting into your yard, if you're in a house. There's nothing to stop them from smoking on balconies either, so forget opening your windows in your apartment.

Not everyone thinks pot smells like roses either. It stinks, too. (Cue pro-pot posters with snippy remarks who are insulted not everyone likes the smell and who claim I'm a propaganda tool.)

Face it, and from this I speak from sorry, sickening experience: That smoke *does* travel. It does seep through walls and floors like other odors. It does stick to people's clothes. You are going to get exposed to it whether or not you want to. I laugh when people tell me it doesn't, as if it stays in this compact atmospheric bubble right around the end of the joint.

You bet I voted no.

Last edited by Jehjeh; 10-29-2010 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: .

Old 10-29-2010, 11:39 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You know, I can understand your feelings one degree or another, but I feel pretty much the same way when I see two guys or two women kissing in public,
while standing on the steps of a municipal City Hall. Nasty! Sure, having to see it in public or on my television screen, comes as an affront to my Christian moral
sensitivities but I've learned to get used to it. A changing society, has me seeing a whole lot of things which "turn my stomach", but much like you, there is little or
nothing, that I can do besides whine about it here on city-data and hope to get others opinions on their own, stomach turning observations.

I don't know what connection your comment has to Mexicans watching the California voters, but as an American, I'm growing tired of seeing people dying in public,
even if it is, in Mexico! And, might I suggest that you start a new thread in the "things I can't stomach" forum so that you can establish the level of priority that others
feel about smoking in public? Would you be willing to do that for us? I'd really be interested in reading the feedback.

Thank you for your understanding.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:29 PM

583 posts, read 884,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
The proposal doesn't have to include it--people will do it anyway. Since decriminalization, I've already encountered people smoking joints openly while walking, because there's pretty much no punishment now.

Plus, even people smoking inside will leave their windows open. I've had to avoid certain apartment complexes when trying to move because of the cloud of smoke I'd have to walk through in the courtyard. These were medical marijuana patients, so the management refused to do anything about it.

The police probably won't try to make your neighbor stop smoking in his or her backyard, so you'll get the smoke drifting into your yard, if you're in a house. There's nothing to stop them from smoking on balconies either, so forget opening your windows in your apartment.

Not everyone thinks pot smells like roses either. It stinks, too. (Cue pro-pot posters with snippy remarks who are insulted not everyone likes the smell and who claim I'm a propaganda tool.)

Face it, and from this I speak from sorry, sickening experience: That smoke *does* travel. It does seep through walls and floors like other odors. It does stick to people's clothes. You are going to get exposed to it whether or not you want to. I laugh when people tell me it doesn't, as if it stays in this compact atmospheric bubble right around the end of the joint.

You bet I voted no.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." -- Thomas Jefferson

There are a lot of things I can't stand, but I'm not such a tyrant and advocate of big government that I seek to use collective violence to prevent people from living their lives as they will, as long as they do not harm me.

Liberty requires tolerating conduct in others that we do not like
and would not do ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: