U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 PM

5 posts, read 4,409 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm 27, and I live in Ireland and I think I need a change of scenery!

I've got this idea in my head, as I sat in the rain at a bus stop in Dublin, that I need to live somewhere different. Now I'm going entirely from what I've heard from other people, but is California really a great place to live?

I'll (hopefully) have no problem finding a job and all that as I have a great CV, and I'm very hard working, but essentially, all I want to do is move over there and see what happens?

Would anyone recommend California as a place to live, and if so, whereabouts, as I have no idea on the geography of the area, and where's good to live and all that?

Any help, much appreciated.,
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 01:55 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,486,511 times
Why would you think you could get a job if you're not a permanent resident or citizen? You'll need to get in line behind several million others who want to come here for a better life.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:18 PM

6,239 posts, read 12,008,082 times
all the leaves are brown and the sky is gray...

Old 10-28-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Why would you think you could get a job if you're not a permanent resident or citizen? You'll need to get in line behind several million others who want to come here for a better life.
Well Best Buy have told me they'd give me a job if I venture over, as I work as a store manager for a company they part own over here. Like I said, the job thing isn't that big an issue, it's more the quality of life I'm inquiring about.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:38 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,106,318 times
Then move here and see what happens. I would suggest San Diego.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:47 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,729,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianIreland View Post
I'll (hopefully) have no problem finding a job and all that as I have a great CV, and I'm very hard working
A few million unemployed Americans can say the same thing.

Quote:
Like I said, the job thing isn't that big an issue, it's more the quality of life I'm inquiring about.
The "job thing" IS a big issue. Without a good paying one (or very low expectations) your quality of life won't be that great.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:12 PM
JS1

1,899 posts, read 4,032,798 times
What you're proposing is a vacation. Bring lots of money if you want your vacation to last a while, because you're not going to get a job here (really, anywhere in the U.S. but especially in California). You're not mexican so you wouldn't even be able to get an illegal job.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
A few million unemployed Americans can say the same thing.

The "job thing" IS a big issue. Without a good paying one (or very low expectations) your quality of life won't be that great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
What you're proposing is a vacation. Bring lots of money if you want your vacation to last a while, because you're not going to get a job here (really, anywhere in the U.S. but especially in California). You're not mexican so you wouldn't even be able to get an illegal job.

Quote:
Well Best Buy have told me they'd give me a job if I venture over, as I work as a store manager for a company they part own over here. Like I said, the job thing isn't that big an issue, it's more the quality of life I'm inquiring about.

Like I said, I have a job sorted if I want it....

The question is entirely based on, is California a good place to live?

Old 10-28-2010, 05:16 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,729,612 times
Quote:

Like I said, I have a job sorted if I want it....

The question is entirely based on, is California a good place to live?
What's the job pay and what kind of life do you expect?

Old 10-28-2010, 05:32 PM

6,541 posts, read 15,130,177 times
What everyone is trying to say is that it is very expensive here. But yes, it is nice here.
You can always share a flat, it can be more reasonable to just rent a room. Taxes are big here, my friends that jumped the pond years ago to escape the taxes in Ireland say we surpassed that years ago. Probably the only thing cheaper here is gasoline, $3 a gallon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California