Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_noelle888 View Post
I'm having a problem regarding my electric bill!!! i use to pay 40-50 bucks every 2 months... the most is 71 dollars. Today i received my bill and saw 257 dollars!
Thats alot esp since this winter has been mild. Maybe the meter was read wrong. Contact the electric company & as for a re-read of your meter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 06:07 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamen View Post
Two people are living in the home. Electricty is around $130-$150 and gas is around $30-$50 a month. We have pg&e. Was wondering, is this high for two people?

What is your average electricty/gas bill? I want to compare so I would not feel so bad about paying so much.
Hard to truly compare - our hot water is provided by the condo complex (and part of our HOA fee), so we don't pay for that - but the stove is electric, and we use a laundromat.

Our bill is about 25-30 a month in San Jose. Don't really use the heater or air conditioner, which I suspect is why our bill is so low.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:29 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That's really low. Do you have a refrigerator? Any lights?
Ummm, yes I have an average to large refrigerator AND lights. Imagine that! I don't have AC though. My highest bills are in winter when I turn on the heat (which I definitely do). But since I'm on a 2nd floor apartment, I don't need the heat on every day.

Another point, brought up by rimmerama...I have to go to the laundromat...so that would cost me extra in electricity if I had a w/d in my unit.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,938 times
Default 20 is low; I'm hoping to lower my $147 August Sept bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That's really low. Do you have a refrigerator? Any lights?
Be glad you are getting a steal on your utilities.
Studio upstairs apt. I rent.
In addition, I pay a "combined utilities bill" to my rental community ( for water-trash-gas-electricity(that heats the hot water in the apartment, or something to that effect) -this runs me: $59; and you'll see I added this in to the amounts I pay. Btw, thanks to all who shared. I googled this info and was happy to see some comparisons. At times, you wonder if "it's just you."

Fall to Winter: October to March is $(20/ mo SC Edison). + ($59 G,W,T,etc.) = $79.00 fall-winter
Spring to Summer: April to September is ($80 to $100 to $146 (Aug/ Sept). ) + 59.00 (all the other util.s) = $140-$200 (Aug/Sept high) ; Summer.

If you're wondering....my apt.'s HVAC uses heated water to warm the apartment (i know; weird; archaic). Also, I have Elec. Range, Dryer, Central Air.
1970 construction, So Cal.
Windows are single panes. Elec dryer, old condensor unit (smallish or inefficient) and being the heat maven for the downstairs unit (as I am upstairs) are my killers. Maybe crappy weatherstripping also.

Vault ceilings. Single pane; east-facing windows. Brown-painted building. Med-to-heavy blackout curtains. I'm going to try the ventilation thing with the slider and kitchen windows. Close them during the day after the night and AM cool the place down. (This worked at another rental; single story home). A friend recommends that dark film for windows and I'm thinking of putting it in this year. The stat.s for it on Home Depot look good (a few degrees? ). With those single - panes, though, wonder if it matters?

Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 PM

569 posts, read 671,293 times
Quote:
Two people are living in the home. Electricty is around $130-$150 and gas is around $30-$50 a month. We have pg&e. Was wondering, is this high for two people?

What is your average electricity/gas bill? I want to compare so I would not feel so bad about paying so much.
I live in Santa Barbara and there are 2 people in my house. Our normal electric bill is $30-$50/mo and our gas is from $40-$90/mo. The high gas bill is during Winter when we are wimpy and use our heat nightly (set at 65). We turned it down to 50 (from 58) when we are sleeping and knocked $50 off of our bill (the gas bill the month before was $90). We never need AC so that isn't an issue. We do have a washer and dryer so that does make our utilities a little higher.

We used to live in an apt that was only electric (and was downstairs so dark) and our typical electric bill was $130-150 (same as yours). It wasn't uncommon to have one over $200 when it was cold. Electric heat (the kind that comes through the ceiling) is very expensive so we switched to space heaters at that place.

We wanted to save money so we unplugged anything we weren't using regularly and got really good about not leaving lights on. The 1st month we lived at our place we got a huge shock when we got the utility bills so we adjusted.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 PM

363 posts, read 514,316 times
Quote:
Two people are living in the home. Electricity is around $130-$150 and gas is around $30-$50 a month. We have pg&e. Was wondering, is this high for two people?

What is your average electricity/gas bill? I want to compare so I would not feel so bad about paying so much.
With LADPW, the bill here is ~ $200-$240/month with 2 people. But, running all day is at least 2-3 powerful computers; 1-2 laptops about 6-8 hrs/day; and a very small render farm runs all hours. Central Air use varies- higher bills in the summertime.

LADPW charges in progressive tiers: first 700kWt are $0.07, the next 1400 are $0.85 and thereafter it's $.12 per kWt.

The gas is about $25-$40/month, with gas appliances.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Around $55-$70 dollars a month.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:25 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
~$120 per month combined for gas and electric. 4bd/2.5bth, ~2400sq ft, but near the ocean in a very pleasant part of the state with great year round weather. I'm like Goldielocks, it can't be too hot or too cold and must be just right.

The house has AC but I never use it because it's never needed. Even the heater is only used a few times per year. The house is very well insulated but most of the time I keep my windows open because the ocean breeze is nice.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 AM

391 posts, read 840,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
3 people in house:
Electric $100 (3 computers, 3 HDTV's/Fios, boat/RV charger continuous)
Gas: $15/mo summer, $50/mo winter
close to beach so no A/C needed
.... time to move back.. wow... We pay nearly $200 in Arizona just to have A/C on at 80 degrees.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:19 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
5300 sf house; summertime electric bills (4 zones HVAC, swimming pool pump) ~ $600/mo. Winter gas (3 gas hot water heaters, 4 zones HVAC): ~300/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California